Order Model A, get a Model B


28 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by g7ruh » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:32 am
I ordered a low power Model A from Farnell last night and at 09:55 today the package arrived with despatch note and box clearly marked as Model A. Brilliant service!

The only problem was that the box contained a Raspberry Pi complete with Ethernet chip and connector and a double USB socket. Clearly a Model B :o

Anyone else have the same problem?
User avatar
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:49 am
Location: Berkshire UK
by tonyhughes » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:38 am
I so want to state the obvious here! :-P
Baked Linux Mod http://www.geek101.co.nz/bakedlinuxmod

Easy install of Drupal, Wordpress, RazorCMS, Chyrp, Apache, Nginx, Lighttpd, firewall, Webmin, VNC, RDP, FTP servers, mailservers, MySQL, SQLite, Transmission and more...

tall.co.nz/webcam.jpg
User avatar
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:46 am
by g7ruh » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:44 am
tonyhughes wrote:I so want to state the obvious here! :-P


I actually want to use the low power capability for 24 hour pi! I already have 2 Rev As and 1 Rev B model Bs! :P
User avatar
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:49 am
Location: Berkshire UK
by tonyhughes » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:46 am
Fair call!

Sell it, and buy a Model A and a case!
Baked Linux Mod http://www.geek101.co.nz/bakedlinuxmod

Easy install of Drupal, Wordpress, RazorCMS, Chyrp, Apache, Nginx, Lighttpd, firewall, Webmin, VNC, RDP, FTP servers, mailservers, MySQL, SQLite, Transmission and more...

tall.co.nz/webcam.jpg
User avatar
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:46 am
by RaTTuS » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:03 am
no I got a model A
\o/
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html <- ask smart Questions
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
User avatar
Posts: 5627
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK
by alexeames » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:41 pm
I got a model A as well. Photos here. There'll be a video shortly. :D

http://raspi.tv/2013/raspberry-pi-model-a-first-impressions-and-photos

http://youtu.be/rpWUBwGy7jY
Alex Eames RasPi.TV HDMIPi.com RasP.iO
User avatar
Posts: 2096
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:57 am
Location: UK
by and101 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:49 pm
I had a model B delivered from Farnell in a model A box. I already have 5 model B boards and needed a model A for testing so another model B isn't much use. :(

Does anyone know how long Farnell normally take to issue an RMA number? I filled out their returns form about an hour ago and haven't received any reply.
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:40 pm
by pluggy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:08 pm
Pity I wasn't around yesterday morning or I might have had mine today as well. It had better be an A when it does arrive.........
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
User avatar
Posts: 2870
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:52 pm
Location: Barnoldswick, Lancashire,UK
by jamesh » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:14 pm
Wish this had happened with my BBC micro. Had to pay for it to be upgraded...
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September, October, November 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 12361
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by elmsley » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:25 pm
I feel bad for the guy who ordered a Model B and got a Model A.
Posts: 17
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:23 pm
by RaTTuS » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:33 pm
and101 wrote:I had a model B delivered from Farnell in a model A box. I already have 5 model B boards and needed a model A for testing so another model B isn't much use. :(

Does anyone know how long Farnell normally take to issue an RMA number? I filled out their returns form about an hour ago and haven't received any reply.

usually within the day
http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html <- ask smart Questions
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
User avatar
Posts: 5627
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:12 am
Location: North West UK
by g7ruh » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:47 pm
to be fair, the folks at Farnell have already given me an RMA number and issued an order for a replacement item. Can't complain about the service or the speed of helping resolve the problem. reason for posting was in case a whole bunch of folks are in the same boat.

I want the model A for power saving / green related issues as I will run it 24x7 and hope to solar power it, or at least use the sun as the primary source. Living in south of UK, sunshine can be somewhat lacking. Otherwise I would have kept the B version, and offered to pay the difference too :o
User avatar
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:49 am
Location: Berkshire UK
by Fanjita » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:13 pm
Same thing happened here.

I don't think there's such a thing as a model A box - the only identifying feature on the box I received is a sticker, that seems to have been originally printed as part of the invoice / packing list.
Posts: 17
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:31 am
Location: Edinburgh, UK
by and101 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Farnell have sent me an RMA number and are going to ship out a replacement today and collect the old one tomorrow. :) Far better service than I have had from RS in the past.
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:40 pm
by wallarug » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:43 am
I ordered a Model A last night and got an email from farrel saying that they are not actually selling the product.
RPi Hardware Guide

App Store: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/rpi-hardware-guide/id723108328?ls=1&mt=8
Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.cmdenterprises.rpihardwareguide

http://www.youtube.com/user/CMDenterprises
User avatar
Posts: 459
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 8:21 am
by rpdom » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:07 am
Fanjita wrote:Same thing happened here.

I don't think there's such a thing as a model A box - the only identifying feature on the box I received is a sticker, that seems to have been originally printed as part of the invoice / packing list.


I bought two. The boxes are both printed with "Model B uncased version", but one had a label stuck to it with "RASPBERRY-MODA-256M SBC, RASPBERRY PI. MODEL" and "Qty: 2"
User avatar
Posts: 4130
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Essex, UK
by pluggy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:37 am
pluggy wrote:Pity I wasn't around yesterday morning or I might have had mine today as well. It had better be an A when it does arrive.........


It was due for delivery yesterday, UPS decided not to bother because of "Adverse weather conditions" (A bit of snow). Its out for delivery today.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
User avatar
Posts: 2870
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:52 pm
Location: Barnoldswick, Lancashire,UK
by and101 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:32 am
Mine turned up this morning and they have sent the correct model this time. I ordered a second one as well as I want to try and replace the 3.3V linear regulator with an efficient switch-mode supply to see how low I can get the power drain on the model A.
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:40 pm
by g7ruh » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:36 am
and101 wrote: replace the 3.3V linear regulator with an efficient switch-mode supply to see how low I can get the power drain on the model A.

Great idea, glad you got your model A, my RMA has been collected but did not supply the replacement, so I am still waiting :cry:

I would be very interested in the results of your low(er) power tests.
User avatar
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:49 am
Location: Berkshire UK
by pluggy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:53 pm
My Model A showed up today and initial tests show it to be working OK. The stuff I ordered with it didn't and is on long backorder. I'll see if I can cancel the rest of it.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
User avatar
Posts: 2870
Joined: Thu May 31, 2012 3:52 pm
Location: Barnoldswick, Lancashire,UK
by plugwash » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:03 pm
and101 wrote:Mine turned up this morning and they have sent the correct model this time. I ordered a second one as well as I want to try and replace the 3.3V linear regulator with an efficient switch-mode supply to see how low I can get the power drain on the model A.

Afaict the model A* really only uses the 3.3V rail to supply an IO voltage and a few other minor bits and peices so don't be surprised if the gains from using a switched mode 3.3V supply on a model A are negligable.

*The model B uses the 3.3V line to run the "USB hub with ethernet" chip.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2434
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:45 pm
by rpdom » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:26 pm
plugwash wrote:
and101 wrote:Mine turned up this morning and they have sent the correct model this time. I ordered a second one as well as I want to try and replace the 3.3V linear regulator with an efficient switch-mode supply to see how low I can get the power drain on the model A.

Afaict the model A* really only uses the 3.3V rail to supply an IO voltage and a few other minor bits and peices so don't be surprised if the gains from using a switched mode 3.3V supply on a model A are negligable.


Well, that and the 2.5V regulator, and the 1.8V regulator, which cover pretty much the whole system ;-)

Replacing those too would give additional savings.
User avatar
Posts: 4130
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Essex, UK
by plugwash » Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:41 pm
rpdom wrote:Well, that and the 2.5V regulator, and the 1.8V regulator, which cover pretty much the whole system ;-)

The core of the SoC runs off a switcher inside the SoC which runs off 5V. While it would be interesting to see some measurements I strongly suspect you will find the vast majority of current draw is on the 5V rail.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 2434
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:45 pm
by and101 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:53 pm
I have run some tests to measure the power consumption of the model A compared to the model B and also the Model A with a switching regulator instead of the stock linear regulator. Full details of the tests can be found on my brothers blog. I only had a 10A switching regulator in the workshop and it didn't appear to be very efficient at low currents. The maximum current draw was lower but regular usage was higher than the stock regulator. The other small problem I had was one of the pins snapped off the linear regulator as I was unsoldering it so now I have a dead model A raspberry pi until I can order a replacement regulator from farnell. :cry:

It appears that using the Model A with a wifi dongle is more efficent than using the Model B on a wired network so something to consider if you want to build a low powered project with internet connectivity.
Posts: 6
Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:40 pm
by rew » Sat Feb 09, 2013 3:38 pm
wallarug wrote:I ordered a Model A last night and got an email from farrel saying that they are not actually selling the product.

Not true. I ordered on Feb 6th (i.e. the day you posted that) from Farnell (by telephone as their site was down: "please phone your order in"), and got two model As (as ordered) the next morning.
Check out our raspberry pi addons: http://www.bitwizard.nl/catalog/
User avatar
Posts: 396
Joined: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:25 pm