DTS-MA and Dolby True-HD

23 posts
by johnbanks » Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:44 am
XBMC has announced release of ver 12 Frodo and it includes support for HD audio. The announcement includes thanks to the RPi Foundation for their efforts and support.
Can we now have an official Foundation announcement on their position on HD audio? - ability to passthrough DTS-MA and True-HD.
Apparently, a couple of weeks coding by a subcontractor is what is required.
Thanks
by WeUsePis » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:44 pm
Get the subcontractor to work for free and hook him/her up with a contact at the Foundation and it might get somewhere. Just my guess, I do not speak for the Foundation in any way. If the free work does not pan out start fundraising.
Our Pi Blog - http://weusepis.wordpress.com/
by Jessie » Sat Feb 02, 2013 7:22 pm
Why would passing an audio stream for another device to decode require any code work?
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by johnbanks » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:23 am
jessie ....
That's what dom said elsewhere on the forum a few weeks ago
by johnbanks » Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:28 am
Jessie wrote:Why would passing an audio stream for another device to decode require any code work?

Second attempt - sorry ..
That's what dom said elsewhere on the forum a few weeks ago
by Jessie » Sun Feb 03, 2013 6:26 am
NP, sorry, I guess I missed that one. I just assumed that passing audio would be a no brainer.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by johnbanks » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:33 am
Jessie wrote:NP, sorry, I guess I missed that one. I just assumed that passing audio would be a no brainer.

Check out dom's post dated 8 Sep 2012 in the topic DTS-MA passthrough.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=16821&start=50

There's a lot of supportive requests in the 4 pages there.

Like I first posted, it would be good to know the official Foundation view rather than us guys just chatting amongst ourselves - pleasant as that is
by homerjay » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:04 pm
so can we passthrough HD sound now?

i cant see the option on openelec 3.0 rc2... only dts and acs
by johnbanks » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:00 pm
Like I first posted ...
It would be good if the Foundation officially responded rather than us guys just chatting amongst ourselves - pleasant as that is.
by johnbanks » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:37 pm
Good news today for Media Centre enthusiasts - Raspbmc final version has just been released.
All the more reason for an official Foundation announcement on their position on HD audio? - ability to passthrough DTS-MA and True-HD.
How about it, guys?
by Jessie » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:59 pm
johnbanks wrote:Good news today for Media Centre enthusiasts - Raspbmc final version has just been released.
All the more reason for an official Foundation announcement on their position on HD audio? - ability to passthrough DTS-MA and True-HD.
How about it, guys?

I installed it yesterday, and it is quite a step forward compared to the previous release. I can actually stream 1080p bluray rips now. Some still jerk but I think I can resolve that.

I wouldn't hold your breath for an official statement on HD passthrough. Seeing as media center use is not the primary goal here. Someone may pop in here and make a statement but I doubt it. They are quite honestly very busy most of the time.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by johnbanks » Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:01 pm
Jessie wrote:
johnbanks wrote:Good news today for Media Centre enthusiasts - Raspbmc final version has just been released.
How about it, guys?

I installed it yesterday, and it is quite a step forward compared to the previous release. I can actually stream 1080p bluray rips now. Some still jerk but I think I can resolve that.

I wouldn't hold your breath for an official statement on HD passthrough. Seeing as media center use is not the primary goal here. Someone may pop in here and make a statement but I doubt it. They are quite honestly very busy most of the time.

Just what is the point of this part of the Forum if the feedback is just one way?
I find that OpenElec works great streaming over a wired network with passthrough to my AV receiver but any HD audio stream is not passed through.
Understandably the Foundation may not have this as a priority. They could just say so and invite the smart guys in the community (I'm not one) to work on the problem.
by ghans » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:01 pm
This problem involves GPU Code
1) All people who know this are at Broadcom
2) All people who do this are currently working for projects
which make more money than a million RPis
3) Even if above statements weren't true , the GPU is still
a trade secret (legal problem)

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by Jessie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:16 pm
johnbanks wrote:
Jessie wrote:
How about it, guys?

Just what is the point of this part of the Forum if the feedback is just one way?

That I can't answer for you.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Jessie » Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:26 pm
ghans wrote:This problem involves GPU Code

ghans

We are only talking about passthrough not decode. 1M chips is more than likely more than 1M in proffit, between the R-Pi and the Roku I'm sure the BCM2835 has made them far more than it cost to design. I don't think TI would have minded that with their OMAP line that they just canceled because it wasn't making any money.

I too would like something done about this, but I'm not going to begrudge anyone if it dosn't get done. There are a lot of things that still need some work and this is just one it is natural for people to want what they need to get implemented first.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by johnbanks » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:35 pm
[/quote]
Jessie wrote:
ghans wrote:This problem involves GPU Code

ghans

We are only talking about passthrough not decode. 1M chips is more than likely more than 1M in proffit, between the R-Pi and the Roku I'm sure the BCM2835 has made them far more than it cost to design. I don't think TI would have minded that with their OMAP line that they just canceled because it wasn't making any money.

I too would like something done about this, but I'm not going to begrudge anyone if it dosn't get done. There are a lot of things that still need some work and this is just one it is natural for people to want what they need to get implemented first.
[/quote]

jessie thx for that. I do appreciate the time that you and other moderators spend.
But there is a lot of speculation in this thread and it would be good to have some authoritative facts.
Can you upline it? to Liz or Eben?
I understand there is a queue of things to be done and I'm not asking to jump the queue.
But it would be nice to know that HD audio was even in the queue
Thx again
by Gert van Loo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:22 am
Dear John,
The only one who can answer that question is Eben and he has a thousand other questions which needs answering.
I am working close with him on the Camera module, which by now is very later.
I work in the same building and even I am lucky to get ten minutes of him per week.

As Jessie said: the to do that kind of SW development you need a GPU expert.
And, as we have stressed many times, it has to be done in their spare time**.
Eben might have money but he has only access to a very small amount of development time.
("Ask me for anything but time"). Thus the time which IS donated, voluntarily, by us Broadcom engineers has to be sparingly used.
No, we do NOT have support from Broadcom. No, you can't "just" take an external contractor and put it them to work on that.
Life is just not as easy as that.

Bottom line: I can't give you an answer now or soon or even promise there will be one.

**If we are lucky some day Broadcom may decide they need that code for future GPU customers and thus it is added to the
portfolio of strategic required software.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by Danielowenuk » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:09 pm
by dom » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:37 pm

big_troll wrote:Could somebody please explain to me why a license for DTS / DTS MA passthrough should be required.

It isn't.

You might imagine that given the name passthough it is trivial to send the encoded data untouched to the device.
Unfortunately it's rather more involved than that, and involves parsing the packets, extracting the duration, replacing headers, mangling the data and inserting (suitably encoded) silence as well as lots of plumbing.
It was quoted by the guy who who did the standard DTS passthough code as a couple of week's work.

I have been banging on about this for 5 months now.

Dom seems to think it is something that can be passed to an external contractor, as the DTS passthrough was.
by ghans » Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:18 pm
Just give me 15 millon dollars (use Kickstarter or rob a bank) and i'll approach Broadcom .... :lol:
And yes , this includes Android 4.0 , HDMI in and OpenCL ... a bargain , eh ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by johnbanks » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:11 pm
Gert van Loo wrote:Dear John,
The only one who can answer that question is Eben and he has a thousand other questions which needs answering.
I am working close with him on the Camera module, which by now is very later.
I work in the same building and even I am lucky to get ten minutes of him per week.

As Jessie said: the to do that kind of SW development you need a GPU expert.
And, as we have stressed many times, it has to be done in their spare time**.
Eben might have money but he has only access to a very small amount of development time.
("Ask me for anything but time"). Thus the time which IS donated, voluntarily, by us Broadcom engineers has to be sparingly used.
No, we do NOT have support from Broadcom. No, you can't "just" take an external contractor and put it them to work on that.
Life is just not as easy as that.

Bottom line: I can't give you an answer now or soon or even promise there will be one.

**If we are lucky some day Broadcom may decide they need that code for future GPU customers and thus it is added to the
portfolio of strategic required software.

Gert ..
Thx for taking the time to explain the development situation. If there's too many projects and too few people then clearly more help from Broadcom is the answer and I cannot but believe that, at a million plus units, the RPi is not considered strategic given its myriad of potential applications.
Thx & regards
by johnbanks » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:27 am
XMBC/OpenElec 3.0.0 has just been released. So more great news for RPi media centre users both current and potentially in the future.
Come on FOUNDATION - please tell us - When can we expect DTS-MA and True-HD pass through to become available?
When that happens, our Media Centre cup will runneth over.
Come on FOUNDATION - please tell us
Thx
by ghans » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:08 am
I don't think much has changed since Gert's last post.
You could start a kickstarter in the meantime.

ghans
by johnbanks » Tue May 14, 2013 12:22 pm
Great news that the Camera Board is released.
Does that mean that a bit of development time could now become available to enable pass-through of HD Audio (DTS-MA & Dolby TrueHD)?
FOUNDATION - pls tell us
Thx