Introduce yourself!

2178 posts   Page 54 of 88   1 ... 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57 ... 88
by muddy1 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:29 pm
Hi, I am a total and complete novice with R-Pi. Please look out for pre kindergarten questions and comments :D I live in the far east - near the Suffolk coast. My hobbies include wildlife photography, cycling and trying to keep upright in a kayak hence the Muddy 1 name.
by johndough » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:10 pm
Hi

I am JD

I requested a Pi as a retirement present, so now I need to convert it into a gold watch/alarm clock or something.

Programming is not my forte, logic certainly is; Does that sound illogical?

Anyway I have requested some add-ond as a late christmas present or next birthday pressie.

I hope to enjoy my Pi.
by brgibson » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:45 pm
I'm Brad, an old fart from Oklahoma, USA. I'm an electrical engineer currently working as a technical trainer in a paper mill. My first computer was a Timex/Sinclair ZX81 (with the 16K memory expansion module, oh yes) and have worked with various generations of computers now for 35 years. I took all the programming courses offered back in college (Basic, Fortran, Cobol, and assembler (8085 and 6502)) but currently most of my programming is confined to industrial process control.

My interest in the Pi is both professional and personal. I'm excited to learn Python and my first project will be for my model train.

My wife and I enjoy geocaching, camping, and hiking with our dog Cocker Spaniel Molly.
by psweitzer » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:40 am
My obligatory "Introduce Yourself" post...

Hi my name is Patrick <queue the crowd : Hiiiii Patrick...>
I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada and work 9to5 (yeah right!) as an IT Architect however my love for gadgets and hardware seems to have always been there and I have spent the last 20+ years mucking around with everything from C=64 to multi million dollar IBM Power systems...
I've been lurking around for a while tracking a few projects in the forums and figured it was about time to register.

Looking forward to any RPi related events in this area.
by gar374 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:10 am
Hi,

My name is Gareth and I got my first RasPi (model B) at the weekend. I work in IT by trade so IT savvy. I'm into computers (obviously), photography, engineering and mechanics (pretty much anything technical really).

I grew up playing games on a Vic 20 and spectrum 48k before the 16 bit revolution and the onto and Atari 520 ST. I avoided consoles due to only being able to play games on them until the original Playstation came along and have had PS2 and PS3 as well. I'm a massive fan of the Gran Turismo games.

Cheers
Gareth
by LilSnoop40 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:07 pm
hi, i'm new to the scene i have always used Apple TV to run xbmc but i wanted to try something new so that's why im hear.

thanks
by philipmcgaw » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:45 pm
Hello,

I am Philip McGaw, I work for the people at FACT, which I guess allows me to be a 24/7 Geek :D

I have experience with R-Pi, Arduino, Mac, and Electronics, I guess I am planning on gaining more experience, and puttin it all together.
by sweller » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:17 pm
Got myself a Pi specifically for use as a media streamer and fired DirecTV. (YAY!)

Almost *immediately* out of the box voided the warranty by ignorantly using someone else's settings and over-volted it. (Oops!)

So far, I'm very pleased with my $35 investment. But there are so many variables and I have so many questions, I don't know whether to ask here, XBCM, Openelec, Google, Dalai Lama, ...

I'll have a better feel for who/what/where to ask after my learning curve flattens out a bit from vertical.
by roshan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:06 am
G'day mates,
I'm Roshan, a 30 yr old student ;) in Perth. I've got my RPi yesterday, and am so excited about it. I'm studying post grad in IS. RaspberryPi will be my best friend as I'm planing to put him in charge. The plan is to start using command line and go pro. My partner is so excited about it too, mainly because of my excitement, but she has little clue what's going on yet.
Roshan
by squenson » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:10 am
Hello everyone,

I am Stephane and I live in the French-speaking part of Switzerland. After some talks with colleagues, three days ago I bought a Raspberry Pi with 512MB, a 16 GB SD card, a few cables and the set-up was very smooth despite a small issue with a cable which had a wrong end but at the end I could use another screen to enable ssh. I am now using it headless, connected to a USB port of my router.

I am used to Linux as my desktop and laptop have already been running Ubuntu since 2008. I plan to leave the Raspberry up and running all day long because I would like to run a Tor relay (just finished the set-up, it was easy!) and also use it as a Samba share drive for my other computers. I have also set up transmission to seed the various versions of Raspberry OSes. In the future, I plan to play with webpy, a web server using the python programming language.

Enjoy your weekend!
by 2bit » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:54 am
Hi , I'm 2bit .
My interests are guns , video games , litatature ( I can't spell at all ) , environmentalism , the great outdoors ( forests in paticular ) , random inventing of weapons from household items ( my house hold is probably quite different from yours so my matirals are probably quite different ) , and computing ( I can't code yet , and extremely newby - so if I get something wrong correct me as I'm still learning ) .

My personality is this : :D :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :!: :?: :idea:
by tugger » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:46 pm
I am a tech-phobic British lawyer in Hong Kong and want to learn a bit more about how computers work (I use Windows, Word and Excel a lot at work but have no idea what is going on behind the scenes). I am hoping that I am not too old a dog to learn new tricks, but we'll see how that goes. I also want my kids to be computer literate in the way I am not (i.e. not just using them as tools but also knowing how they function), but thy are only little so that ambition might be just as distant.
by MikeInCaerffili » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:19 pm
Hi all,

Just got my first (and second RPi). Ordered from RS before reading about slow delivery from them so I found CPC and placed another order with the intention of cancelling the RS order.

Well, you can guess what happened, I forgot to cancel the order; now I have two of them. Both delivered within 7 days of ordering - not bad at all!

I have plans for em both so no worries.
by bigmac » Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:43 am
My name is Jim "JT" McDuffie - and most days I think I've been in this game way too long. I remember programming a Bendix G-15 computer (long before there was an Altair 8800), and I've been at it ever since. What I like about these little critters is that once again I have something to play with. And that I do find "cool." (Sorry, SoCal childhood showing through) My background is OS development, compiler support, database engines, networking, and management. I'm looking forward to enjoying myself again - doing something just to learn and play.
by SNIP3R » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:28 am
Hello RPi community!

I'm John Groenhof, and I currently live in Denver, CO. I was interested in the Raspberry Pi from the moment I heard about it, but I just recently purchased one after hearing about the AirPlay trick. I've already gone through the AirPlay tutorial and have gotten it working, so now I'm going to be playing around with my RPi just as as a learning tool. I'm enrolled in a BSIT/Software Engineering program, and I think the RPi will be a fun practice tool. Reading around on all of the uses people have gotten out of this device has me encouraged to do some hardware interfacing (something I've never tried) with it, so I think that will be my next focus. I'm already having fun with this amazing little PCB, so thanks to the foundation and to Eben and Liz!
by Magic Knight » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:46 am
Hi there
Gor my Pi and connected it up with stuff I had around, a phone charger, spare keyboard and mouse, using the USB hub in my PC monitor and with the Pi connected to an old TV. Plugged in a USB wireless adpater and it all worked great.
My office is full of retro, 48K Spectrum, Atari ST, Falcon, Amiga 1200, Atari Lynx, Playstation with loads of SW and magazines, so first thing I did was load Fuse the spectrum emulator, works great, with 1,000's of games downloadable from World of Spectrum. Next ScummVM and loaded up Beneath a Steel Sky, halfway through it already !
Connected a USB hard drive, can now access it from any PC, anywhere.
Next thing to do is get a relay module from eBay and try some GPIO stuff thats controlled from my mobile phone.
This is what I love about the Pi, exploring, There's always something new to play around with. Whats next ????!!!!!!!!
by ninuzzu » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:21 pm
Hi all.

I'm Nino Miano from Italy.
This video'll show you my first project with Raspberry PI.

Bye, Nino

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bzxw4g3ux8
by markbrisbon » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:10 pm
Hi my names Mark , currently unemployed , although I can work, but alas s like many engineers have been caught in this massive technology change hence my interest in Rasberry pi , amongst other embedded technologies
These include picmicro, atmel and of course raspberry- pi

I come from an electronics background servicing anything and everything inclusive valve guitar amplifiers, and have done since my interest began at six years of age

I build and make my own circuits boards develop small projects and have a fair knowledge of c , java , c++ , website design , and various other internet related technologies

I’m here to learn as much as possible, hopefully to develop some extremely interesting applications for use with raspberry pi and hope to enjoy what I think is possibly the forefront of one of many futures on the horizon
by EssexInc » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:39 pm
Hi, folks!
New to the Pi, and to Linux (in all its forms), but not to programming...
I'm a 60-yr. old ex-IBM mainframe guy, who, in the past several years has gotten involved in quite a number of non-Mainframe technologies, including PLCs, HMIs, Windows apps, etc.

Hoping to learn enough about the RPi, and its ins and outs, to implement an industrial application that's currently done in a windows app...
by RonBrown » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:00 pm
Hi,
I'm very new and keen to see RasPi evolve its own destiny.
My early thoughts?
What if a RasPi was simply configured asa "mesh" interface so that it could network, transparently with any other RasPi's nearby (using a £4 WiFi USB thingy?) Call it a RasPiNet if you like.....
Anyway, I'm watching this Forum and trying out a few ideas. But I'm still in the Stoneage by the standards of what I read here!
Ug, Ug.
by PHD7 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:42 pm
Hi, my name is Philip. I'm currently a Cisco tech and have been working with computers since the TRS-80, when I would install the upper/lower case mod chips and additional memory for people. I've been a Linux fan for over 15 years so the RPi seemed only natural as a new toy.

I got my RPi last night and installed XBMC to stream video from my media server. It works great and it's kinda geekie fun to just see this tiny board sitting there acting like an all-growed-up computer. My ultimate plan is to install it in an arcade game housing and run LAME, but that can change depending on what other fun stuff I can find to do with it.
by daveake » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:40 pm
Hi all. I'm Dave Akerman, "Pi In The Sky" guy. A child of the 60's I watched the Apollo missions in awe and assumed that by now we'd have a permanent base on the moon and have men on Mars. I'm a keen photographer, so when in Feb 2011 I saw a Youtube video showing 2 guys put a foam box into "space" to take video and pictures I immediately decided to have a go myself. The hobby combines my interests in space and photography with my job (I'm a self-employed PC/embedded programmer) and background in electronics. So whilst I thought I'd just do the one flight, I soon realised I'd discovered "my" hobby, and to date I've done 17 flights 3 of which with the Pi.

I've programmed a variety of machines, starting with an ICL something via teletype and IBM something at Uni with punch cards. I built a Z80 machine of my own design at 18, had a Camputers Lynx for a while, then worked on CP/M machines then PCs, PICs, AVRs and of course the Pi.
by Absle » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:01 am
Hello fellow R-Pi enthusiasts, my name is Anderson. I've got too many questions already to make this too long, but I'm a long time tech enthusiast that has only recently started experimenting with computers with any seriousness. Given that paradox, expect plenty of (somewhat noobish) questions from me :D
by Viny » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:13 am
Hello my name is Viny.

I love computers since my first one in 1981...
I love programming but I do not it very often except my someone challenges me to write something very difficult or just to help.
I love to teach and I used to teach to young adults who dropped out of school.
I love the Raspberry Pi because it remind me the old good time and I love the idea of transmitting the programming bugs to kids.
I love my wife and my kids...
by GaryCN » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:49 am
Hello All
I'm Gary 58 years old, my Raspberry Pi arrived today, I'm not sure what I'm going to so with it yet. I have built a Linux desktop from scratch, Frankenstein-ed from a bunch of old Windows hard and optical drives with a new case power supply and motherboard. it is my second Linux build. I ran Linux Five-O for quite a while until it's demise. Now running Linux Mint on a AMD Athlon II system. I have everything but the HDMI cable I need to fire up the R-Pi up I'll get that tomorrow (I thought I had one or two in stock, but that was not the case.) My original thoughts were can I make something similar to a Roku. I have next to no programming experience other than getting Spotify to run on my Linux desktop. I'll be hooking up R-Pi up to a 32" Vizio LCD HGTV. Anyway old guy trying new tech, I've used computers in my Industry, Air Transportation since about the early 70's with the likes of Mimeograph machines. I looking forward to the Raspberry Pi challenge it will present me with.