USB Drive Disconnect issue

12 posts
by erosoft » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:29 am
Hi all, i'm using my RPi from 2 months already, installed RaspBMC, configured USB Drive and until now, it worked very well.

Starting from yesterday, my USB Drive disconnected without any interaction or advice and the system crashed. So i tried to understand what happend and tried these:

Change USB port (and Nothing happend)
Changed USB hard drive (same problem on both ports)

Pratically, after 3-5 Minutes of playing a Video, the USB Disconnect and after a few second the system restart or sometimes disconnect from the network or freeze and i must to restart unplugging the power.

I would like to understand if there is an hardware problem or what.

Also 1 Month ago i found and set a working overclock and it worked well until now.
These are my Overclock Settings:

ARM 950
Core 450
RAM 450
GPU 350

No overvoltage.

The next troubleshooting i wanted to try is:

Set no Overclock and test, after that
plug a brand new RaspBMC system on a new SD Card and check if it works.
What do you think ? Is this problem happen to some other user ?

If you can suggest some other test i could do to discover the reason, please tell me.
Otherwise i should ask for Warranty to RS.

Thanks alot.
by obcd » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:42 am
I would suspect the power supply or the polyfuse on the Pi board. Measure the TP1 - TP2 voltage. It should be between 4.85V and 5.25V.
Removing the overclock could help a little as the Pi is using less current not overclocked, so the voltages might be higher.
If the Pi root fs would become corrupt, it shouldn't run for a while. It usually simply doesn't boot up anymore. So, you can try a fresh install, but I would check the power conditions first.
by erosoft » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:52 am
Ok, thanks, i have to find the TP1 and TP2 point on the board. Is it marked on the Card ?
I don't remember beacuse its in the Box.

Just for further info, i'm using the orginal RS PowerSupply, you mean this could be faulty ?

I hope to solve is soon... i'm in love with my RPi and to be sure i already brought a new one in the mean time ;-)

I'll let you know.
Thanks alot.
by obcd » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:01 am
I mostly suspect the Polyfuse on the board. If for instance you ran the harddisk without plugging in it's own supply adapter, it might request more current from the Pi usb port. Due to that, the resistance of the Polyfuse can become higher so that the voltage drop over it becomes higher as well. They should recover if you leave them unplugged for 24 hours. The TP1 TP2 testpoints are clearly marked on the board (You will just need to remove the top cover of your housing) If that voltage is 2 low, you should check the voltage at the other end of the polyfuse to calculate the voltage drop over the polyfuse. For that, you need to remove the Pi from it's housing as that Polyfuse is on the bottom of the board. TP1 an TP2 are simply connected to GND and 5V after polyfuse.
It's always possible your Pi became defective. If your readings are good, it might be time for an RMA request under warranty.
by erosoft » Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:20 am
While reading your last post, i now remembering that the first days of operativity, i used a 2,5" usb drive and it worked... Yesterday instead, this drive doesn't work any more... So probably the Voltage or current is dropped down.

I'll check later the Voltage.
Thank you very much for your support.
have a good day.

Eros
by stupid_boy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:20 am
first, power supply, off course. i see a lot of HDD resets due to power issues. My PSU is regulated one and currently it works at 5.3V.
next, if you can, try disable wired LAN. Here it causes a lot of troubles too.
finally, your overclock settings are far from good ones. During the time i found that only stable working settings implies: all clocks must be multiple of ARM clock. If they aren't, you will experience overall system slowdowns compared to non overclocked system and a lot of system instabilities. Also, some times SDRAM over-voltage is mandatory. Mine settings are as follow:
arm_freq=1100
core_freq=550
sdram_freq=550
over_voltage=6
over_voltage_sdram=5
avoid_pwm_pll=1
Please note, i have already burned my warranty bit thanks to clever RaspBMC, so now i can play with these values. If you burn your because of my settings, I am not responsible. With these settings and without case i never go over 48 degree Celsius!
by erosoft » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:05 am
Thanks boy,

I start to use wired lan, because when i plug USB WiFi Dongle and USB Drive together, the wireless don't work.
It works only when plugged alone.

As first step i have to check my power supply then will see...
Thanks
by stupid_boy » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:28 am
Your 'problem' with WiFi and HDD definitely sounds like power problem. Did you use powered hub? Is his power supply powerful enough? One NO and here is your problem. RPI itself can't provide enough power through its USB connectors for either device. Some expensive powered hubs have current limitings on their outputs too, so this can be a problem. For example, I have one DLink powered hub, which cant power my WiFi or HDD.
My PSU is 5A one and all is powered directly from it. My hub is some cheap one, noname, without any limiting circuity in it.

BTW, at present i still see some very rare USB resets. For me PSU is not the magic resolution for all related problems.
by erosoft » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:44 pm
I'm not using an USB HUB at the Moment. My Power Supply is that one supplied by RS Components.
I have to try something before to continue.

As soon as i back home, i'll try an USB Hub connected to a Single free USB and try...
Then i will try a different Powersupply...

I will let you know.
;-)
by erosoft » Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:39 pm
I Just tested the Voltage between TP1 and TP2 and while playing an HD Video it is at 4.89/4.90v

Now i have to try while downloading and Playing Video... and check again...

Now i just removed the card from its Box and it seems to work... i'll keep you updated.
Thanks to everybody for your useful informations
by erosoft » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:46 pm
My RPi keep working with my Overclock settings, my suggested Power Supply by RS Components
and the card is just unboxed now.

So unboxed i have no problem at the moment.
by erosoft » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:49 pm
stupid_boy wrote:first, power supply, off course. i see a lot of HDD resets due to power issues. My PSU is regulated one and currently it works at 5.3V.
next, if you can, try disable wired LAN. Here it causes a lot of troubles too.
finally, your overclock settings are far from good ones. During the time i found that only stable working settings implies: all clocks must be multiple of ARM clock. If they aren't, you will experience overall system slowdowns compared to non overclocked system and a lot of system instabilities. Also, some times SDRAM over-voltage is mandatory. Mine settings are as follow:
arm_freq=1100
core_freq=550
sdram_freq=550
over_voltage=6
over_voltage_sdram=5
avoid_pwm_pll=1
Please note, i have already burned my warranty bit thanks to clever RaspBMC, so now i can play with these values. If you burn your because of my settings, I am not responsible. With these settings and without case i never go over 48 degree Celsius!

So are you using a PSU with output regulated to 5,3v ?
Can you tell to me which PSU are you using ?

I Can't find a regulated PSU to 5,3v, but only 3/4,5/5 and so on...