Why does ordering Raspberry Pi require credit cards?

6 posts
by NewAtlantis » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:19 am
How come companies don't accept Cash, check, money order?
Cash, check, and money order works for Banks.

How come most of websites accept master card, paypal, visa, etc?

Do they want to violate people's privacy by showing numbers online?
Shouldn't these people worry about spyware, cookieware, etc?
by wirelessmonk » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:12 am
Laziness. Impatience.

Checks:
They won't ship until they receive the check and verify it won't bounce.
Someone on the Accounts Receivable team has to either make a run to the bank or they have to mail the checks the bank. Check Fraud used to be a much greater concern than it is now. Even so, it is still a problem.

Money Orders:
See bank runs and postal deposits mentioned before.

No business accepts cash in the mail. It is ill advised. They will not ship until they receive payment. Cash will seldom arrive where it is intended.

Credit and Paypal are electronic and relatively instant.
by malakai » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:57 am
Buy a prepaid credit card most sites will accept them call Customer Service to verify they can accept them before getting the card.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by MattHawkinsUK » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:57 pm
So you are asking why companies online only accept electronic forms of payment rather than physical cash or pieces of paper?

Isn't the answer obvious?
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook and Twitter (@RPiSpy)
by W. H. Heydt » Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:31 am
Even PayPal isn't necessarily that trouble free. An organization I work with uses PayPal for online transactions. Some of those transactions--but very few of them--PayPal handles as "electronic checks". One of them this year bounced...the payers bank refused the e-check. The person that tendered it has been notified...someone is going to have to pony up cash to pick up a convention badge....
by pluggy » Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:08 am
I'd look through the OP's post history and then make the decision as to if he's a troll or not....
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......