Nice media centre

6 posts
by cursor2000 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:06 pm
Hi everyone,

I've done my sums and I think I've come up with the potential to buy all the necessary components, install the appropriate software (XBMC, on-demand, etc) and produce a nice media centre out of a Pi to sell on eBay and elsewhere, make a little profit and having fun along the way.

One of the most expensive components is the PSU. I can source a 5V 1A PSU for around £4 but I've read conflicting reports that a standard-issue LCD TV can power the Pi with its USB port. Has anyone had any experience with this? It would be a nice option to be able to attach the Pi to the rear of a flat-screen TV, connect it via HDMI and control it via a mobile device so it's nice and tidy. That's the plan anyway! ;)

Thanks in advance,

Phil
by risendeadbrewing » Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:13 am
Mount to back of almost any hdtv

http://www.adafruit.com/products/986
by risendeadbrewing » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:44 pm
by dextrus » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:59 pm
Don't forget a lot of the on-demand plug-ins are country specific, remote control operation is limited to TV's that support it (not that many) and guaranteeing that sound works "out of the box" would be nigh-on impossible.

I sell pre-configured OpenELEC cards, but I do it for newbies and schools. It's *very* time-consuming if you are going to offer support. The Pi bit's OK, it's what they connect to it that is the problem. Everyone will want flawless networking too (well, not schools).

You would also be up against existing XBMC boxes, coming in at around £60-70 now?

/Dextrus
Have more FUN with your Pi. Visit www.pi-fun.com
by ski522 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:28 am
cursor2000 wrote:conflicting reports that a standard-issue LCD TV can power the Pi with its USB port. Has anyone had any experience with this? It would be a nice option to be able to attach the Pi to the rear of a flat-screen TV, connect it via HDMI and control it via a mobile device so it's nice and tidy. That's the plan anyway!

Most of the time you'll probably run into issues, most USB ports on TV's support the standard power specs for USB...basically 5V @ 500mA. It's recommended to use 750mA minimum for the Pi. Another problem I've see is some TV's won't activate the USB port until you selected it the TV's video menu, then when you go back to the HDMI port the TV turns it off again USB port. My brand new TV does just that, so I speak from first hand experience.

Personally, I'd probably look at an Android stick to do what you're thinking about doing. They have faster CPU's providing better response time while in the menus then the Pi does.
by welph » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:44 am
On my Samsung I have a usb-port that has a printing beside it that says 5V 1A which works great so far.

Then I have another one which I haven't used that says 5V 0.5A

Have you looked into the manuals of the TV to see if it's says what the amps are?