is my rpi bricked?

11 posts
by covis » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:42 pm
I have my rpi about 3 months. I have never had any problem until now.
Accidently I press the top of the board with my hand and I see that a piece of plastic in the sd card slot was broken.
Rpi was on when this happend. I remove the card and powered it off. After that I try to boot again by pressing the sd card to the slot but only the red led is on. I try with another sd card with the same result. Is there any way to boot from usb ? I see some tutorials for replacing the sd card slot with another but I dont know for sure if it will worked
I know that without the broken plastic the card will not touch the slot pins but why it dont work when I press it with my hand?
by labourer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:42 pm
Bad Luck.

The first thing I did with mine was accidentally break of one of the sides of the SD card slot. However it's been working fine for several months with the card held in plaice with some blu tack on top of it and a rubber band on top of that. I had a bit of trouble getting the card in the right place but once there it's been fine.

Of course you may not be as lucky, and perhaps there is more serious damage but from my experience it's worth a few tries to get the card positioned correctly in a broken card slot.

Best of luck.
by RaTTuS » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:45 pm
use a spring loaded plastic or wooden peg to hold the SD card in place - that may work
1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX - Prosliver FTW
"That's not right, the badgers have moved the goalposts."
by alexeames » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:07 pm
I dropped one of my Pis once :(
You can fix the card slot with credit card, glue and a knife.

http://raspi.tv/2012/how-to-fix-a-broken-sd-card-slot-on-your-raspberry-pi

You can also solder in a new one if you have the soldering skills.

But if it's not the slot, perhaps you need to gently bend one of the metal spring contacts inside the card slot itself? If they're not making contact with the pads on the card, it won't work. As Rattus says, people have used the clothes peg approach successfully.
Alex Eames RasPi.TV HDMIPi.com RasP.iO
by covis » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:13 pm
Thanx for the replies but if it was the sd card slot it should work when I keep the sd card with my fingers so the pins touch the card contacts. I have already try many times with several cards.
Maybe I will try to replace the card slot but I dont have so good soldering skills.
by nr. » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:16 pm
It could be that the contacts at the back of the holder that tell the pi there is a card inserted are broken. I ended up soldering a ribbon cable from the SD reader to a microSD adaptor when I snapped mine, and at the same time I soldered these contacts closed.
--
nr.
by covis » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:23 pm
nr. wrote:It could be that the contacts at the back of the holder that tell the pi there is a card inserted are broken. I ended up soldering a ribbon cable from the SD reader to a microSD adaptor when I snapped mine, and at the same time I soldered these contacts closed.

There are the 2 last pins on each side ? left and right ?
by nr. » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:16 pm
No - if you look at the back of the SD card holder, you'll see what looks like a pair of leaf springs - the idea is that when a card is inserted, one of these contacts bends, and touches the other one. I just soldered these together.
--
nr.
by alexeames » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:43 pm
Leaf springs in evidence here...
Alex Eames RasPi.TV HDMIPi.com RasP.iO
by covis » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:10 pm
http://s12.postimage.org/8q8maqfl9/IMG_2279.jpg

This is my rpi. I think that the points I solder is thoose that tells raspberry if a sd card is inserted. Its not?
by covis » Fri Feb 01, 2013 6:19 pm
alexeames wrote:Leaf springs in evidence here...

I cant really understand what points are soldered there.