Using the PI as a startup disk,

5 posts
by Conaz9847 » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:34 pm
Basicailly, i use Mac OSX version 10.7.5, and i want to know if i can Start my mack up, with the Raspberry PI as the startup disk, i know someone who can start up their mac as windows aswell, but i want to know if i can start it up as PI. I dont want to have to buy a monitor and loads of cables to make the PI its own computer, so i want to know if i can run the RASPBERRY PI interface on my Mac, :?:

Please help
Thanks, Connor :ugeek:
by Spid » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:54 pm
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !
by DeeJay » Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:59 pm
I think maybe Connor wants to know if a Raspberry Pi can be emulated in software under MacOS, so that he can experience the software without having access to a physical Pi?

If that is the case, the answer is YES.

I'm not a Mac user, so I have no first-hand experience, but I guess that Googling for "Raspberry Pi emulation MacOS" might bring up some relevant results?
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way: http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
How to Report Bugs Effectively: http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html
by Spid » Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:11 pm
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !
by ghans » Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:54 pm
MAC OS X comes with the X Server ( at least on the install disk) ,
so you can use X forwarding.

Go to the Terminal :
Code: Select all
ssh -X pi@IP_ADRESS_OF_YOUR_PI
pcmanfm&

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org