Xbmc media server

5 posts
by heisenberg99 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:57 pm
Those using the Pi to run Xbmc, where do you keep all your content? I'm looking to buy a NAS drive but unsure whether to buy a pre built like a buffalo or western digital or buy an enclosure and fill it with my own drives.
by LandyManLuke » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:20 pm
I use a Buffalo 2x1TB NAS, it works very well. I've only had it a month or so though. It's got a built in DLNA server, Torrent client, printer server etc.

I'm using it for general uPnP/DLNA including raspbmc, android phones, TV, etc.
by Ottoman » Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:51 am
I needed a lot of space and thought about 3 options:

1) Buying an external raid enclosure and filling it with drives, and connecting via USB3.0 to a pc running 24/7.

2) Buying an external raid enclosure and filling it with drives, and buying one of the new routers with a USB3.0 port and DLNA features that I could share the enclosure off of.

3) Buying a desktop/home NAS

The NAS is a little more expensive, but in my opinion the features, reliability, network throughput, energy savings, and the ability of it to run independent of another device make it worth it.
by csdracon » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:44 am
i am using upnp/dlna from my main windows 7 rig over a wireless network. it works perfect but i one day hope to make a network server so i don't have to rely on my pc being on just to play some music off the htpc. maybe i will make a linux server since i am learning it anyhow.

thank you rpi. for making my life more complete.
by worm » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:54 am
I have a WD My Book Live which holds my content and I use OpenElec on the Pi to mount the shares from the WD by NFS, which I've found to be faster than SMB. (both devices are linked networked by ethernet rather than wireless)

The real advantage of this is that the WD has a built-in DLNA/uPnp media server (Twonky) so I can also stream the files to other devices (iPad, laptop etc.)

Could certainly do the same thing with a self built box and drives etc. but the WD is a pretty neat solution ("other NAS are available" ;) )

The real disadvantage to it is that it is network only - no USB port, so getting content onto it can take a bit of time as it all has to go over the network.