Making a simple answer machine

3 posts
by T149 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:31 am
Hi everybody,

I have good news. About 2 months ago(before get my RPi). I was wonder how can be developed a answer machine based on RPi and a chip usb FAX modem. Many people said that it couldn't be possible because the ARM cpu drive incompatibility.

So I got the risk and buy one RPi and a $12 Conexant USB Fax modem. First I try to install the modem by using a .deb from Linuxant, but doesn't work because the ARM cpu. Another option was a source code of the driver that when I tried run get few errors, but works well testing on minicom.

At this time i read many posts on linux communities talking about Vgetty. I installed the Vgetty on my RPi and didn't work well, all audio should be converted to a RMD file instead of WAV. That made I decide figured out some ways of coding on Python a solution, and that was much easy than I was thinking. First I connect to a serial port(the modem port, in my case /dev/ttyACM0) and then send the AT commands and for my surprise byte by byte of the unconverted WAV file. Below is shown the first steps of my code test, that works well.

I hope that it can be useful for everybody who have the same doubts that I had!

Code: Select all
import serial
ser = serial.Serial('/dev/ttyACM0', 115200, timeout=5)

ser.write('AT\r\n')
ser.write('ATZ\r\n')
ser.write('AT+FCLASS=8\r\n')
ser.write('AT+VLS=1\r\n')
ser.write('AT+VTX\r\n')

import wave
musica = wave.open('/home/pi/music.wav', 'r')

para = False
while para == False:
   vetor = []         
   for kl in range(0,1024):
      quadro = ""
      quadro = musica.readframes(1)
      if quadro == "":
         para = True
         break
      quadro = ""
   vetor.append(quadro)
   ser.write("".join(vetor))
by bw57899 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:55 am
interesting
by innetsrl » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:17 am
Hi

I need to make a dialUp connection with a USB modem with Conexant Chipset

I red that you reach to compile a source code of the driver for this chipset working with Raspberry PI

could you tell me where you got the source code .. or could you send me the driver

Thanks

Michele