USB development - where, when & who?

13 posts
by castalla » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:30 pm
I've seen scattered reference to the fact that 'somebody' is dedicated to ironing out the USB bugs.

Is there any info on the state of development, fixes, etc?

I've found the bluetooth implementation on Pi is severely inadequte - network crashes, etc. There seems to be no coherent details anywhere on this - other than reports of problems.

Is anybody working on this? or has bluetooth support been shelved?

Who knows?
by ski522 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:35 pm
search for the "usb redux" thread.
by Spid » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:38 pm
Whilst not appearing to be rude, you must understand that development of the various Operating Systems is undertaken voluntarily, if you are desperate to have the bugs fixed, may I suggest that you donate a developers years wages to the Foundation and within a year we will have Raspbian as near perfect as it is possible to be..............

Alternatively a cheaper option is to iron out the bugs yourself.........................
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !
by castalla » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:44 pm
Not really a helpful response ... if I had a clue about how to fix the issues then I'd set about it.

I'm just asking whether there's some active development on the usb issues, or not?
by rurwin » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:04 pm
Yes there is work ongoing. As ski55 said:
ski522 wrote:search for the "usb redux" thread.
by castalla » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:10 pm
Thanks ... been there, done that ... the last post in Redux is mine!

Sort of going round in circles over this.
by ghans » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:34 am
The only guy really working on it is gsh (so far i know) .
He is a Broadcom employee and i believe that keeps him busy.
Therefore his USB fixing is on voluntary basis and he
can't promise steady progress , even if he is the only one
with access to Synopsys docs and RTL

What you can do is to to have a look at
http://www.github.com/raspberrypi/linux/.

Forum members have created a inofficial USB document in the
bare metal forum , this could prove useful as long Synopsys is
simply ignoring our requests for docs (not unexpected i believe).

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by castalla » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:10 am
Thanks.

Interesting ... but to me as a 'normal' user encountering a severe performance/usability issue (100% crash every time) most of the usb debate seems like arguing about how many angels fit on a pin-head!
And, what happens if THE guy charged with all this wins the lotto and clears off?

(The above is intended to be 'humourous' before somebody jumps in and tells me to DIY).
by jamesh » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:20 am
Actually, GSH (Gordon) is now working full time on the USB issue.
by castalla » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:43 am
Thanks - that's good to know.

So, how does an ordinary user discover whether or when fixes are implemented? One-off patches, firmware updates, kernel updates .... ???

And, is there a central point for reporting issues?
by gsh » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:41 pm
ghans wrote:The only guy really working on it is gsh (so far i know) .
He is a Broadcom employee and i believe that keeps him busy.
Therefore his USB fixing is on voluntary basis and he
can't promise steady progress , even if he is the only one
with access to Synopsys docs and RTL

Actually that's not true anymore... I'm a full time Raspberry Pi employee now! Have been working full time on the USB issues over the last couple of weeks and have got much further with my fixes... Basically I'm implementing the whole split transaction completion code in the FIQ which will make all the keyboard / serial type issues go away.

Of course it still needs a few bug fixes and some time for testing and then the slow release procedure (i.e. release it to a few people before we're happy to push it for everyone.)

But, I'm not sure it'll fix your specific problem, you'll have to check to see what changes... I've still not been able to look at any isochronous comms issues so if it is something there it may well still be around, but at least I'll have a bit of breathing space to go and check...

Gordon
by ghans » Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:56 pm
Well, nobody tells me anything :D ...
Good news ! Looking forward to your results !

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by with ice cream » Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:31 am
gsh wrote:Have been working full time on the USB issues over the last couple of weeks and have got much further with my fixes...

That's good to hear, Gordon. Please post this to Liz's usb redux thread and spread the hope. Or, even better, close this thread and point to the other one.