USB Blues

9 posts
by excollier » Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:52 am
I am having problems with my Pi and connecting anything to the spare usb port. I use a Xenta wireless keyboard and mouse, (supplied by ModMyPi) so the 2.4GHz dongle occupies one usb slot. I f I connect any usb drive to the second usb slot, powered or not, the mouse behaves badly, the pointer, going to the bottom of the screen, and doing it's best to stay there, becoming unusable.
This means having to unplug any attached drive and plug in a wired mouse to continue, or shut down. I have checked the voltage at TP1 &TP2, and it gives between 4.99v and 5.2v without any usb drives attached, then dropping to 4..93 volts minimum with a usb device attached, then the mouse goes awol. It seems not to be a power supply problems with those figures.
The keyboard is unaffected. It's very irritating, and using up all my time just trying to do anything useful with it.(and failing)
Perhaps related, I don't know, is that openELEC freezes every time I try to use it, and I have lost the system partition on a couple of cards then the card becomes unreadable by any device I have tried (Windows Vista/ XP / Linux Mint Laptops and my Nikon DSLR which says no sd card inserted) I've spent £25 on sd cards for it!
All I have is a device that can show a few apps and a web browser on a tv screen, what's the point in that?( It can't even print, my wife rolled her eyes as if to say "what a waste of money") and I agree.
I have tried Raspbian, Debian, PiBang and also varying degrees of failure with openELEC and Xbian.
Can anyone point out what I am doing wrong here? It must surely be down to me.
by Spid » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:27 am
It is advisable to use a USB Mains Powered 4 Port Hub...
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !
by ski522 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:32 am
There are some problems with the USB drivers in general that are being worked on. Search for the "usb redux" thread.
by obcd » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:34 am
I can understand your fustration.
Wireless mice and keyboards used to perform bad on the Pi due to known usb problems.
I have no idea how well it's working on the latest kernel.
Have you upgraded your system after you installed the image?
In order to figure out if something is wrong with your Pi, I would first try a simple setup with a wired network connection and ssh terminal access.
If that freezes as well, you should request an RMA and exchange your Pi under warranty.
What supply are you using? Even if the voltage is fine, there could be a ripple on it that causes problems.
The fact your sd cards become totally unusable is very strange. What brand and type of cards are you using? If the sd card partitions got wiped away, it won't create a drive letter anymore, but windows disk managment should still see a drive and should be able to partition it. After that, and reinserting it, it should assign a drive letter to it again. You should be able to reimage it afterwards.
by excollier » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:36 am
The cost keeps rising..... :roll: a couple of weeks ago I was able to attach a 32GB flash drive and use it for adding PiBang to BerryBoot, and a 4GB flash drive to tranfer some downloaded files and add Navi-X to openEELEC, but now it just refuses to co-operate at all, so with the good voltage readings, what has gone wrong since?
I am using a HTC mobile phone charger as a psu, and ruined cards are Sandisk 8GB and 4GB. the reliable card so far is an unbranded cheap 16GB from Maplin (£9.99).
The ruined cards are genuinely unreadable by anything, I have tried every avenue to save them, but no-go.
by excollier » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:36 pm
Raspberry Pi + Hammer = Raspberry Crumble.
Problems eliminated.
Back to reality.
by Maxion » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:07 pm
Have you tried a different PSU?
by Spid » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:20 pm
excollier wrote:The cost keeps rising..... :roll: a couple of weeks ago I was able to attach a 32GB flash drive and use it for adding PiBang to BerryBoot, and a 4GB flash drive to tranfer some downloaded files and add Navi-X to openEELEC, but now it just refuses to co-operate at all, so with the good voltage readings, what has gone wrong since?
I am using a HTC mobile phone charger as a psu, and ruined cards are Sandisk 8GB and 4GB. the reliable card so far is an unbranded cheap 16GB from Maplin (£9.99).
The ruined cards are genuinely unreadable by anything, I have tried every avenue to save them, but no-go.

i have always used DBAN to wipe bad SD Cards http://www.dban.org
I will always assume you are running Raspbian for desktop and Raspbmc for XMBC !
by excollier » Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:52 pm
Maxion wrote:Have you tried a different PSU?

There was plenty of power in the hammer.
It (RPi) won't be giving any more bother (RiP)