Losing network connection within minutes

15 posts
by jicho » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:24 pm
Hi,

Last friday I've received my Raspberry, together with a USB adaptor from RS, yeah!!!! So today was time to play around with it!

After placing the latest image (http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/images/raspbian/2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian/2012-12-16-wheezy-raspbian.zip) on my class 2 SD card (4GB) it's was time to give it a try. Everything went fine, but after connecting my Pi to a network cable I had a network connection for not more than 5 minutes :(

After activating SSH and hooking the Pi up to the network cable without a screen or a USB keyboard the result was the same, within 5 minutes no more network connection...

To be shure that losing my network connection has something to do with the image I installed the Occidentalis image (http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-raspberry-pi-educational-linux-distro/occidentalis-v0-dot-2) from Adafruit on my SD card. From now on I didn't need to hook up any USB devices and had SSH access out-of-the box. So far, so good... After starting the Pi up the issue is the same :( Network goes down within a couple of minutes :(

The only thing that I do is running a ping so see if the Pi is up-and-running and try to find some updates using sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade. Due to the fact that my Pi loses it network connection so quick I can't even to an upgrade...

When checking the voltage that runs over P1 and P2 I'm getting values between 4,92V and 5,02V. For what I see on other fora this seems to be normal when hooking up a power supply of 5V. I'm using this power supply: http://raspberrypi.rsdelivers.com/product/rs/hnp06-microusb/micro-usb-euro-power-supply-for-raspberry-pi/7263053.aspx

Does anyone have any idea if this issue is a software or a hardware problem? Or, even better, knows a solution for this issue? It feels it's time to contact with RS and dive into the RMA procedure?

Thank you for your reaction!
by jicho » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:43 am
A little update... I've connected my Pi to my work network, I can't believe it, but... it's running like a sunshine :S So it seems that my probleem has something to do with my network at home. The cables are fine.

Does anyone has any idea what can be causing this strange strange behaviour on my Pi?
by Mobius » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:39 pm
Sounds like you are connecting via ethernet cable. I'm also assuming that you are using DHCP to get an IP address for the Pi. It's possible, though not probable, that the DHCP lease time set in your home router is too short. One other thing to try is to configure the Pi for a static IP address. That requires editing the /etc/network/interfaces file to look something like this:

Code: Select all
iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.1.66
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.1.1
by jicho » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:16 pm
Mobius it took some time to test it, but the static IP address did the trick!

Tnx!
by snurre » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:23 pm
I'm having this issue too. I have tried with both DHCP and static IP, but the behaviour is identical. Any other ideas?
by jicho » Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:11 am
snurre wrote:I'm having this issue too. I have tried with both DHCP and static IP, but the behaviour is identical. Any other ideas?

For what I've found after some more digging around on Google...

Sometimes solutions on your Pi can be:
  • Lowering the MTU network settings (normal is 1500)
  • Switch of the autonegotiation setting so your router / switch can skip that step
  • A bad network cable(?)

When this doesn't work you can try your Pi on the netwerk at work or at a friend?

When the problem stays... The only solution that I've found is sending the Pi back and ask for a new one... Some have this network issue (according to fora).

Hope this helps a little... I'm not the expert, but this is what I've found :) Hope it helps!
by -rst- » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:26 pm
Also might be a good idea to check that there are no other devices with the same IP address in the same network (segment)... Had odd connection dropping issues in a certain network, until realised that the DHCP pool was too small and RPi ended up with the same IP as another computer - leading to either one loosing the connection at about random :oops:
http://raspberrycompote.blogspot.com/ - Low-level graphics and 'Coding Gold Dust'
by Mobius » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:32 pm
-rst- wrote:Also might be a good idea to check that there are no other devices with the same IP address in the same network (segment)... Had odd connection dropping issues in a certain network, until realised that the DHCP pool was too small and RPi ended up with the same IP as another computer - leading to either one loosing the connection at about random :oops:

Just one more good reason to use static IP addresses for any device that isn't portable and using DHCP only when you have to.
by snurre » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:35 am
-rst- wrote:Also might be a good idea to check that there are no other devices with the same IP address in the same network (segment)... Had odd connection dropping issues in a certain network, until realised that the DHCP pool was too small and RPi ended up with the same IP as another computer - leading to either one loosing the connection at about random :oops:

I have tried both DHCP and static IPs, but nothing seems to help.

Boot up my Pi and it stays connected for 30-60 seconds.
    Moved the SD card, ethernet, HDMI and power cables over to another Pi I borrowed from a friend. This stayed online just fine.
    Moved everything back to my own Pi, and this time it stayed online for about 20 minutes.
    Rebooted my Pi and it disconnected after 30-60 seconds again.
    Moved everything back to my friend's again, and there were no issues.

Can there be anything but a hardware fault in my Pi causing this?
by -rst- » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:21 pm
Could you try your friend SD card in your RPi?

Does the display stay on and everything else work fine?

What do the status leds look like when it disconnects?
http://raspberrycompote.blogspot.com/ - Low-level graphics and 'Coding Gold Dust'
by snurre » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:44 am
-rst- wrote:Could you try your friend SD card in your RPi?

Does the display stay on and everything else work fine?

What do the status leds look like when it disconnects?

My friend took my Pi to his place and tried it with his own SD card, ethernet, HDMI cables and power supply, but the same problem occurs.

The display does stay on and the network is the only issue.

The leds all light up on boot, then all but the power LED go out.

Except.. Once my friend gave it back to me, it's been working perfectly fine with no issues. It has stayed on the network for over two days now. All I did was plugging it in to verify the lights for this post, but it simply stayed online. I have no idea what is going on...
by -rst- » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:06 pm
There might be a loose connection/bad soldering somewhere on the board that got pushed or maybe some heating up related... or a 'nearly broken' cable that works if not bent in certain way...
by pluggy » Mon Feb 04, 2013 12:58 pm
If your power supply / lead / Pi polyfuse isn't all it should be, it can be a low voltage causing network issues. Test the voltage across TP1 and TP2 with a volt meter.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
by -rst- » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:18 am
Also note that the low voltage issue might only appear under certain usage patterns - it might be fine for times, but when the CPU and/or GPU power consumption goes higher, the voltage may drop too low.
by chagas » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:54 pm
I have something similar to this. I have recently bought a wifi USB dongle for by RevB Pi. It is a Belkin N150 Micro USB WiFi Adapter Wireless Dongle Surf 150Mbps F7D1102.
I am running wheezy raspbian dated 2012-12-16 and I have just run
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install raspberrypi-bootloader
apt-get install wpasupplicant

I find that when I set the pi up to ping my mac, then ping requests from my mac to the pi get through fine. As soon as I cancel the ping from the pi to mac, then the ping requests from mac to pi begin to fail. It is as if the network on the pi goes to sleep or something. I thought this was just a wifi issue, but I have noticed the same issue tonight via the cable too. I have static (and different) ip addresses for both eth0 and wlan0.