Active Directory and RPis

3 posts
by sycarion » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:58 pm
There is some discussion about the rationale for this in another thread. I started posting technical stuff there and realized that posting here would be more useful.

Outside of the why, which belongs in that thread, I want to talk about the how.

I see that Samba is in the repository, so I wanted to give it a shot.

The packages I am installing thus far are:
krb5-config, libkrb5-3, ntp, ntpdate, samba and winbind

There's 58 other packages that go with it, but doing sudo apt-get install and these six will get you started.

Today, I discovered that using an emulated Pi has some disadvantages. Namely, without a TAP connection, the virtual pi is not able to communicate correctly with the NTP server or the domain controller.

Outside of that, kerebos5 compiles just fine and I can configure it. Samba and Winbind also compile. For the curious, I discovered that Samba4 fails during configuration, but not during compiling. Because Samba4 doesn't configure correctly, winbind4 doesn't properly install.

Again, I think Samba4 didn't configure because of the communication issues.

More work to come next week. Next week, there will be more technical details and links to screenshots.
by sycarion » Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:58 pm
I have since discovered that Samba4 will attempt to auto-configure a connection to Active Directory if it is present.

I still have trouble creating a Bridged Connection in QEMU, but a colleague has procured a physical Raspberry Pi for use. There is interest throughout the school district in them, so he is bringing me one soon.

When I get the physical RPi in my hands, I will let everyone know if Samba4 works as I think it will.

As an aside, I use the 3D printed case as a means to promote the RPi. People are amazed at the size of it. :)
by khmattfarrow » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:08 pm
I think the QEMU Software (http://sourceforge.net/projects/rpiqemuwindows/) that was posted on this site has great potential. I installed and tested the software. The install files are very easy to use.