GPS/compass question

3 posts
by pberrett » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:30 am
Hi all

I have a question about using the Raspberry Pi with a GPS. I just bought a serial GPS (BU-353) for use with my pi. I tested it on my standfalone using Google Earth and it works fine so i knwo that my pi will be able to work out were it is located.
however what if i also need to know which direction my pi is pointing in or facing? Will my serial gps give me this information or do I need to use a separate compass modele? I realise that if the pi is moving i can work out which direction it is travelling but what i really need to know is - which way is it facing, even when it s not moving?

Will my GPS tell me this or do I need a separate compass module?

Thanks Peter
by rurwin » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:41 am
You need a separate compass module. GPS only know which way is front because of which direction you are moving.

Also be aware that a compass module will need to be recalibrated as the device is moved around; nearby metallic objects distort the magnetic field. Try using the compass application on a mobile phone to see how accurate it is not.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by pberrett » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:50 am
Ok thanks.

i have just bought 3 x HMC5883L compass modules. Only a couple of $$ on ebay! I didn't realise they were so cheap.

cheers Peter