Keyboard and mouse don't work together but work separately

12 posts
by ThePiBoss » Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:36 pm
I have bought the laptop PC white USB wireless optical scroll mouse from amazon, I have got a Logitech Internet navigator keyboard( quite old) but they don't work together( at the same time) on my Pi. Can anyone help me?
by Cloudcentric » Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:38 pm
Have you tried using a USB Mains Power Hub attached to the Pi, overload on USB can be an issue..
I know everything about nothing"
by ThePiBoss » Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:00 pm
Cloudcentric wrote:Have you tried using a USB Mains Power Hub attached to the Pi, overload on USB can be an issue..

Yes, and they still don't work together but that would be a great tip for anyone searching for the answer to the same problem and they come across this.
by Jim JKla » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:07 pm
Have you checked them on the verified periferals list here http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick
by ThePiBoss » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:40 am
Jim JKla wrote:Have you checked them on the verified periferals list here http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeripherals ;)

I just did that and found the keyboard but not the mouse because I am not sure who the make is. Like I say, they work perfectly alright separately it is just when I put them both on together that they don't work.
by penguintutor » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:53 am
That sounds very similar to a problem I had - which turned out to be power related.

Are you are connecting to a powered USB hub - you are unlikely to get them working together without one if they are both wireless. Also worth checking you have nothing else on the hub.

In my case although I connected both into a USB hub the hub was not capable of powering them both at the same time. I swapped for a different USB hub and everything now works fine. Worth trying a new hub and connecting both to the hub.
by ThePiBoss » Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:03 pm
penguintutor wrote:That sounds very similar to a problem I had - which turned out to be power related.

Are you are connecting to a powered USB hub - you are unlikely to get them working together without one if they are both wireless. Also worth checking you have nothing else on the hub.

In my case although I connected both into a USB hub the hub was not capable of powering them both at the same time. I swapped for a different USB hub and everything now works fine. Worth trying a new hub and connecting both to the hub.

My keyboard is wired, mouse is wireless, does this make a difference?
by Jim JKla » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:52 pm
Any device you plug into your USB has to either draw power or feed power if it does not feed power it draws.

Your wired keyboard probably draws very little unless it has another integeral device like a USB hub. However your wireless mouse has a transmiter and that needs a bit of Ooomph! ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

by ThePiBoss » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:55 am
Jim JKla wrote:Any device you plug into your USB has to either draw power or feed power if it does not feed power it draws.

Your wired keyboard probably draws very little unless it has another integeral device like a USB hub. However your wireless mouse has a transmiter and that needs a bit of Ooomph! ;)

So how do I fix it?
by Jim JKla » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:01 am
Try a wired mouse as a first test. ;)

The fault could be excessive power drawn by the wireless dongle and it's just bellow the threshold addition of the keyboard is enough to push it over.

by penguintutor » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:00 pm
Normally a wired keyboard will draw very little power, but that particular model has lots of bells and whistles (or more accurately dials and buttons) and so probably uses more than a standard wired keyboard.

So how do I fix it?

I fixed mine by getting a better USB hub. It doesn't necessarily mean getting a more expensive hub (in fact I swapped to a very old budget hub - bought when USB 2 was quite a new thing), although cheaper ones do tend to have a less powerful power supply.
by Jim JKla » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:54 pm
Yes I am using one of the original Belkin USB2 7+1 (7 "A" type + 1 "B" type) port beasts a F5U010 the PSY is 6V 4A it is easily about 5 times the size of one of those plug top things.

I also use it to charge my phones. ;)