Starting with project to read in data from multiple sensors

4 posts
by SensEdge » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:43 am
Hi everyone

I just got my Raspberry Pi. While I am not new to programming, I am pretty new to communicating with hardware though (such as reading in data from sensors) and of course Raspberry Pi.

I was hoping to start off with connecting a temperature sensor and possibly a sensor to measure air quality to be used in my backyard, and connected to a web server (that I hosted) through a 3G dongle. I have read up a bit, but was still at a loss where to really start off with.

I am thinking of using digital sensors and having them connect to the GPIO of the Pi, and having a simple C++ program inside to read them and convert them into my own data structure to be published to the web server. Am I on the right track here? Or are they complications that I am unaware of when reading in data from the GPIO?

Sorry for the broad question as I am really still starting off and figuring out how to go about learning all these stuff.
by Peter247 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:57 am
The PI as no adc to read voltage you need to use i2c or spi adc for this.
For temperature I use a tmp102 , which just search and you will see all about that.

For pushing your temperature to a web i would use cosm or thingspeak instead of making your own graphs.
http://www.peter224722.blogspot.co.uk/
by shuckle » Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:11 pm
As all GPIOs in Raspbery Pi are digital, it might be easier to use Arduino in between. Arduino and Raspi can easily discuss with each other using the USB. And Arduino has also analog inputs and it is easy to connect all kinds of sensors to Arduino.
Just a thought.
by daveake » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:15 pm
For temperature I use the DS18B20 one-wire sensor, supported by the w1_therm module. Once the module is loaded you can get the temperature by opening/reading a file - very easy in any language.