Connect pi to laptop wirelessly through router

7 posts
by pjc123 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:31 pm
I am currently connected between my win7 laptop and pi wirelessly without a router using Connectify, which works, but I have not tested the range and I suspect it will be very limited. So, I have an extra router laying around and I would like to use it as a wifi power booster to increase my range, having the pi and laptop connect through the router wirelessly to each other so that I can vnc from the laptop to the pi. I will not be connecting to the Internet or any other networks, so there will be no other connections (wired or wireless). Everything will be running from batteries so I can use it all in the field.

First of all, is that feasible, and if so do I need to configure the router in any special way? I never used routers to connect devices to each other, just hubs and switches for that purpose. I also suspect I would need to enable some kind of sharing on the win7 laptop, and it would be nice to eliminate the need for Connectify. I need to know because I will not be able to pick up my router from my storage shed for a few weeks to try everything out and I am ordering some parts this week, and if this is all will work, I would like to get the power cable and receptacle that I would need for my chassis to interface the router with my battery (and yes it is a big battery and I only need a few hours of operation at a time).
by Jim JKla » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:37 pm
There was a lot of talk early on about using a router as a wifi extender that some will and it's to do with one of the settings obviously there are a lot of routers around but I did find I could add a cable router to my existing ADSL2 router with little or no configuration.

I just put it at the end of a long 10BaseT RJ45 cable off one of the ports The primary ADSL2 was a Netgear and the Cable router was a D-Link so there was no confusion on the base IP address. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick
by Mobius » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:36 pm
I'm not sure I fully understand what you are trying to set up. If you are just trying to extend the range of your current wireless signal to a remote location, then you need a router that can be set to either bridge or repeater mode. In bridge mode it picks up the wireless signal and allows you to connect the remote computer via an ethernet cable. In repeater mode, it picks up the wireless signal and transmits it back out to other wireless devices in the vicinity. Most wireless routers will not do this on their own. One that I know will work is the Zyxel WAP3205. Given that you have an old router stored away, you might be in luck. There is a free firmware upgrade called DD-WRT that works with many older routers. It allows you to use your router in several different modes and even control the transmit signal strength. I use older Linksys wireless G routers (the blue ones) loaded with DD-WRT as bridges and repeaters around my house.
by pjc123 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:50 pm
I think you may be reading way too much into this. Let me clarify. I just want to connect my pi to my laptop wirelessly using a wireless router as a go between. That is it; no other connections, no other devices, no wired Ethernet connections, no Internet, no other wireless devices, no other networks, no other routers, no nuttin. I have set up tons of routers, but only to connect devices to the Internet, not to each other, and I was not sure if devices that are hooked up to the router (either wired or wirelessly) could also talk to each other just like a hub or switch, or they normally don't see each other; I have never had a need for such an application until now. So maybe that requires absolutely no extra setup. I just don't know.

My router is indeed a Linksys WRT type blue series with Tomato firmware loaded, so it has a ton of extra options if I need to modify or activate something.
by Jim JKla » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:56 pm
Ok no problem

You need to get your RPi connected to the router to connect wirelessly theres a couple of options and I have hammered out one solution here http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=28339 once you have that connecting your Laptop thats obviously dependent on your laptop.

Then get your self a copy of putty on your laptop (I am assuming we are looking at some flavour of windows).

Then you connect to your RPi using ssh (activated by default when you use Wheezy).

There's a discussion of this here http://elinux.org/RPi_A_Method_for_ssh_blind_login and there's some other stuff on VNC that may be more like what you are after. ;)

Post back here with any questions. :D
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

by pjc123 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:35 pm
Jim JKla wrote:Ok no problem

You need to get your RPi connected to the router to connect wirelessly theres a couple of options and I have hammered out one solution here http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=28339 once you have that connecting your Laptop thats obviously dependent on your laptop.

Then get your self a copy of putty on your laptop (I am assuming we are looking at some flavour of windows).

Then you connect to your RPi using ssh (activated by default when you use Wheezy).

There's a discussion of this here http://elinux.org/RPi_A_Method_for_ssh_blind_login and there's some other stuff on VNC that may be more like what you are after. ;)

Post back here with any questions. :D

I had that all working many months ago. I can connect from my laptop to the pi through an SSH tunnel and have tightvnc operational, all through a direct wireless connection without using a router via Connectify. Now I want to do the same with a router so I have more range. I just wanted to know if the router adds any complications to the mix (As in do routers by default prevent devices from seeing each other on the input side for security reasons, but allow traffic to flow in and out of its output, in the case of most home routers the output being the wired connection to the modem and therefore the Internet). I guess I will have to wait until I can get a hold of the router and find out. I was just trying to save money on shipping costs, because if it works, I am going to have to place a second parts order for the router parts that I need.....oh well.
Last edited by pjc123 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
by Jim JKla » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:41 pm
In a word YES the router should effectivley double your range provided the router sits halfway (as the crow flies) between your two wireless connections.

Obviously intevening objects have an influence. ;)