Are my GPIOs fried?! HELP!

5 posts
by norex » Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:35 pm
Here is the short (... no pun intended) and skinny.
Bought a pi cobbler, soldered it up (totally did a bad job but I kind of fixed it, removing any solder bridges). After purchasing some jumper wires , I grabbed a small led out of a set of Christmas tree lights to see if I could use it on my breakout board. Not knowing anything (using my 3rd grade knowledge of power) I decided to wire one end to the Pi's 3v3 and the other to a ground. It lit up, so I thought nothing of it and decided to move on and get the thing blinking. I set my Pi up to use wiringPi's gpio command. I then wired one end of the led to gpio #17 and the other to ground (keep in mind I didn't use any resisters) and used the commands...
CODE: SELECT ALL
gpio mode 0 set
gpio write 0 1

in order to set gpio 17 high. Nothing not even a blink, in fact when ran "gpio read 0" I could see that the pin was still set to low. Upon further investigation I discovered that I can set any gpio that had nothing plugged in high, but the second I connect my led to that gpio it switches back to low. Has anyone seen anything like this? Am I missing something? Sound like a fried gpio? Someone please HELP!!

Full Disclaimer: I have tried multiple methods of toggling gpio pins... wiringPi//python//bash//webiopi
by -rst- » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:13 pm
Maybe I don't quite get your explanation... The led only lets current in one direction, so if it is installed 'for output', the same pin can never be read as input :roll:

Obviously it is a good practice to always use a resistor. Generally you would most likely fry the led first though...
http://raspberrycompote.blogspot.com/ - Low-level graphics and 'Coding Gold Dust'
by pjc123 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:45 pm
-rst- wrote:Maybe I don't quite get your explanation... The led only lets current in one direction, so if it is installed 'for output', the same pin can never be read as input :roll:

Obviously it is a good practice to always use a resistor. Generally you would most likely fry the led first though...

I was going to reply with the same response earlier today until I realized it was an inconsiderate poster that posted the same exact question in two different threads on the exact same day (within a couple of hours of each other no less) and it has since been solved in that other thread.....i.e. therefore wasting our time.
My Project Website:
http://www.flaminghellmet.com/
by Burngate » Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:49 pm
pjc123 wrote:... it was an inconsiderate poster that posted the same exact question in two different threads ...

More likely a first-time poster who hadn't realized it takes time for his post to be modded ...
Wyszkowski's Second Law: Anything can be made to work if you fiddle with it long enough.
Brain surgery is easier than psychoanalysis
by -rst- » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:31 pm
Ah, well...
http://raspberrycompote.blogspot.com/ - Low-level graphics and 'Coding Gold Dust'