Issue using Pi on High Def TV.

4 posts
by findlay70 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:21 pm
Hi-
I am using a HDTV with the Pi. After using the Pi for about 10 mins, the screen turns of - i think due to lack of a signal... I tried this on another TV and the same thing happened. I looked at the TV settings to remove any power restrictions, but the issue kept happened.
Anyone know what the issue is and how I can prevent this. Otherwise I'll have to drop more cash for a screen for my boys which I really didnt want to do. :)
Thanks...
Andrew
by malakai » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:50 pm
Your experiencing the "screen saver" function there are a few methods to disable this I haven't played around with it as keyboard or mouse movements should bring it back to life search for screensaver screen blanking or such on the forums some suggestions can be found here

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=24128&p=223713&hilit=screensaver#p223713

It is possible that it is in fact something with your tv but I haven't seen that come up here before.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by findlay70 » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:08 am
Thanks for the response. I moved mouse, hit keys, sleep/hibernate mode, etc, but screen didnt resume - I was active in the module. Had to reboot. I know TV's have a mechanism that, when no signal is received, they go to sleep. Seems the Pi doesn't transmit a signal strong enough to be recognized by the TV. Interesting note is that I timed it and the TV's shut down at the same time (different makes of TV's)... my next trick is to boot using my PC's screen and see if this resolves.
Cheers
by efflandt » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:30 am
Normally HDTVs do not even do DPMS, so they do not go into power saving mode or standby if a video card tells them to. However, HDMI can transmit CEC signals to remotely control one device from another device so in /boot/config.txt you might try hdmi_ignore_cec=1

When I got the newer firmware with rpi-update, for some reason the Pi did not notice my screen at all (defaulted to composite) until I uncommented hdmi_force_hotplug=1