SSH GUI Question

12 posts
by liamjamesfoley » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:27 am
Hello,

After a long battle, I finally was able to log into my Pi from my Macbook (10.8.2) using XQuartz/X11.

My problem now is that I don't know how to launch the Raspbian GUI.

Any suggestions?
Attachments
SSH login Question.png
SSH login Question.png (46.87 KiB) Viewed 2170 times
by rurwin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:36 am
Some people say:
Code: Select all
lxsession&

I found that was not a good idea on my Linux PC, because it tried to take over the entire screen. It works on Windows. OS/X will be somewhere between the two.

Otherwise you can start individual programs like this:
leafpad&

The "&" just tells it not to wait for the program to finish, just to come back to the command prompt.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by albatros » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:48 pm
Hi,

did you already try tightvnc? http://elinux.org/RPi_VNC_Server

hth

albatros
by liamjamesfoley » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:18 pm
I just did something that I don't quite understand, but I'm going in the right direction! I need to figure out all the variables of the commands. I thought the commands I typed didn't work, and I typed in numerous commands, so I'm still not sure what did work... BUT, I was using my hotcorners on my macbook pro and I went to the view desktop corner and to my surprise my desktop was a rasperry pi GUI that did not fit on the screen!
by rurwin » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:45 am
That's lxsession being annoying and taking over your desktop. On Windows the X server runs in a window, but on OS/X and Linux the desktop is the X server.

(Reboot and) try just "leafpad&".
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by liamjamesfoley » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:52 am
When I use the leafpad& command I get a seperate window that isn't really a GUI. It kind of resembles the mac finder but looks way more old school and it shows the files in my Pi. Any idea what might be causing that?

I've been trying to go this route:

http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-rasp ... alling-vnc

But I am never prompted to create a password. Can anyone tell me how to do that?

"You will be prompted to enter and confirm a password. It would make sense to use “raspberry” for this, but passwords are limited to 8 characters, so I use “raspberr”. Note that this is the password that you will need to use to connect to the Raspberry Pi remotely."

I feel like the VNC server should work because I can access it through my macbook, but it asks for the password, and I never created one for VNC.
by PiSi » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:00 pm
Do I enter 'lxsession&' before 'startx' or in the same command line?

rurwin wrote:Some people say:
lxsession&

I found that was not a good idea on my Linux PC, because it tried to take over the entire screen. It works on Windows. OS/X will be somewhere between the two.

Ask as when i use 'startx' from the SSH window it shows the GUI on the Pi display but the Putty window doesn't allow more commands to be entered (apart from ctrl-c which exits the GUI and brings up a new command line).

Or is it just easier to use VNC to get the Pi GUI up?

Using Windows 7 to SSH in from.....

Thanks,

Simon
by redhawk » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:04 pm
startx only applies to the Pi via the TV / HDMI port, since you're using an X-Windows emulator from a remote machine you need lxsession or simply run your X11 app by name.
The appended & symbol makes any command run in the background so you can still input further commands with your SSH login window.

Richard S.
by PiSi » Sat Jan 19, 2013 3:12 pm
Thanks - that explains it!

Assume then at startx wouldn't work in VNC either?

Simon

redhawk wrote:startx only applies to the Pi via the TV / HDMI port, since you're using an X-Windows emulator from a remote machine you need lxsession or simply run your X11 app by name.
The appended & symbol makes any command run in the background so you can still input further commands with your SSH login window.

Richard S.
by DirkS » Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:59 pm
PiSi wrote:Assume then at startx wouldn't work in VNC either?

With VNC you go straight to the GUI on the Pi, so you don't need the startx command.
You will have to install and start the VNC server on the Pi first (see link in post above for instructions)

Gr.
Dirk.
by PiSi » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:34 pm
Thanks guys.

S
by PiSi » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:51 pm
Unless I am expecting something else, have used lxsession and lxsession& when SSH'ed in and it comes up with this line: [1] 2165

Was expected a GUI or window to come up but nothing.

Is this the correct response from lxsession?

Thanks,

Simon