Help: Proper Keyboard Mapping for Saitek Eclipse II

7 posts
by nonameperson » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:10 pm
RPi Model B
Distro/SD image: Raspian 2012-12-16

Issue: I'm using a Saitek Eclipse II USB keyboard with my RPi. The QWERTY keys are mapped ok, but the backslash "\" and shift + Number row symbols are not correct (I don't know if there are other problem keys). I followed the keyboard-configuration setup to the best of my knowledge:

• Model: Generic 104-key PC
  • Keyboard Layout: English (US)
  • AltGr modifier key: No AltGr
  • Compose key: No compose key
Does anyone have any ideas on which options or models that best match this keyboard? Thanks in advance! :)
by nonameperson » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:21 pm
Since no one has posted so far, I've been thinking about what I could do (I'm kind of disheartened on the lack of response :( ). Has anyone made a profile for this or a similar model keyboard that I can download to my pi to fix this?

I'm a novice in the ways of Linux, but an experienced Windows power user. Should I just give up on this endeavor and just buy a generic USB keyboard?
by drgeoff » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:46 pm
What country are you in? Did you buy the keyboard in that country or import it, eg via ebay from China?

Please report here what is marked on the keyboard for the Shifted versions of the number keys 1 to 0. Or post a legible photo of all the keys.
by hicksonj » Mon Feb 04, 2013 1:55 pm
nonameperson,

I've noticed the keyboard type is set to "English (US)". Is this correct? US keyboards have symbols in different locations to UK mappings. Can you select a UK mapping?

EDIT - Assuming you are in the UK that is!!!
by rurwin » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:10 pm
It certainly sounds like the difference between a UK and US keyboard layout.

The UK version has the backslash key between Z and Shift, The "#" next to Enter, double quote on shift-2 and "£" at shift 3.
The US version has no key between Z and Shift, backslash next to Enter, "@" on shift-2 and "#" on shift-3.

You should be able to configure it in raspi_config.
by nonameperson » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:12 pm
I am confident that the keyboard is in an English-US layout. ( And thank you, rurwin for the distinction between US/UK layout :) ) Here's a store site with an 'okay' close-up photo of the model: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823175013

Your responses have brought up an interesting idea: Would selecting EN(US) as the default language in raspi_config cause any confusion for the keyboard layout options?
by Cheetah » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:24 pm
I had what sounds like the same issue with one of the mini keyboards. Changing the keymap from UK to US did fix it for me, but I had to reboot the Pi for it to take effect.