glint-nes Jan. 2013 release - download and demo video

50 posts   Page 2 of 2   1, 2
by normalocity » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:42 pm
@pyre

Hm, interesting. Thanks for trying it and posting the pic. I'll see if there's something I can do about it. It is strange to me that the ROM selection menu and the game seem to scan differently, but I can clearly see the issue in your screenshot so I'll see what I can do.
by normalocity » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:03 pm
@mrfunk

Do any of the following keys work? The ROM selection screen has its own set of key mappings that (for now) are separate from the actual emulation itself. This is because they are technically different programs that simply work together.

Code: Select all
Up - Scroll up
Down - Scroll down
Left - Last system (if it exists)
Right - Next system (if it exists)
Enter - Select
Escape - Back out of a folder
F1 - Open the restart/shutdown system menu
F2 - Open the fast select dialog
F4 - Close glint-es (should work as long as ES hasn't frozen)

The game-selection screen (I think) should work with these keys, though you will have to alter the in-game emulation settings to use the keyboard.
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic ... 78ytgrA20I

Officially glint-nes doesn't really support a keyboard-based setup, as that's not the way the games are intended to be played. So, if you want to go this route you certainly can, but you might be on your own a little bit in getting it to work.

The actual game emulation uses RetroArch, so you'll want to refer to how to setup key mappings in RetroArch to get that working.
by Woyote » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:33 am
Update on my previous issues:

Will be testing the power supply on this Pi soon. It's not me touching metal, or anything of that sort. The Pi is in a case and I don't touch any of the connectors. It's almost certainly a loss of power or the rebooting issue documented elsewhere. I'll be testing the Pi for that soon enough.

I finally got the roms copied over manually, and have a glorious list of retro fun showing up on my main page. Thank you for the explicit directions to the Roms directory - that was probably what was holding me back before.

Someone with more Linux experience than me could maybe write a simple guide for that, in the interests of getting more users up and testing? :)

On a more postive note, I was pleased to find keyboard controls actually do exist and are enabled by default, at least in my installation. Must be a holdover from the RetroArch?

The NES default keyboard keys:
D-pad: Arrows
A button: x
B button: z
Select: Right Shift
Start: Enter

It's not comfortable, but if you haven't got a gamepad it'll get you through for a while. :)

Time to start testing some obscure faves to see if they work...
by normalocity » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:45 pm
Glad you got it working. If you have any reports for us in terms of quality of emulation, check out the supported games list (which is really just a list of the experiences people have had with given ROMs): http://karmanebula.com/game-support/

The #1 thing people report as problematic are ROMs that look corrupted or lock up. If that happens to you, try swapping out that ROM with another copy of it - there are just a few bad ROMs out there and finding an alternate source can often correct the issue.

As far as writing the guide, I find that sort of documentation isn't terribly helpful. I think it's better for everyone if we just get more reports of what's wrong with the ROM loading process so we can fix it (we should make glint-nes awesome), rather than publishing guides on how to help it hobble along.

Thanks for trying glint!
by Davespice » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:32 pm
Great work Mr normalocity!
I'm going to try it tonight, this is the joypad I have though - I hope it works, I'll let you know!

Foundation
Foundation
by normalocity » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:23 pm
Ooh, good luck with drivers on that one. Should work fine, but you never know. Some devices in the Sidewinder line had custom drivers, though this may have been primarily limited to the force-feedback types.

Thanks for trying out the project!
by Davespice » Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:20 pm
normalocity wrote:Ooh, good luck with drivers on that one. Should work fine, but you never know. Some devices in the Sidewinder line had custom drivers, though this may have been primarily limited to the force-feedback types.

Thanks for trying out the project!

Yep it works great. On this joypad you've got a total of 9 buttons, A B C X Y Z, L R triggers and start. None of the buttons appear to do start or select, but I can do that via the keyboard so all is good there. It also seemed to not let me navigate the menu with the joypad, but it did work in game fine. I've also found that modest overclock at 800 Mhz seems to clear any sound issues with Tetris. A and B for the NES came out as B and C on my joypad (which is cool). I think I'm gonna play Faxanadu (one of my all time favorite games on the NES).

Good work old chap!
Foundation
Foundation
by normalocity » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:39 pm
Glad to hear your joypad is working!

800 Mhz overclock should be the default, if you installed via the pre-built image. If you installed via the script, it *should* have also set this, but there are a few bugs in our build script.

If you want to "fix" the controls in the game list, exit the list of games and delete the file "/home/pi/.glint-es/es_input.cfg"

There's a few files in here so make sure not to delete the wrong one. :) When you do that and reboot, the next time the list of games comes up it should prompt you to configure your joypad. Deleting this file will **not affect** the controls in the emulation itself, **just the controls on the screen where you select games.**

Of course, if you don't care about using the keyboard, then maybe it's best not to mess with it. :)
by Davespice » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:54 am
Cool. Just as I posted my previous comment my wife came in the door and I had to stop :) You know how it is... so I didn’t get much further. But overall I am really impressed with it. The sharpness and quality of the graphics up-scaling is great too, it looks really gorgeous over HDMI. I did have a problem with Super Mario 1, but it could be the rom file I have is slightly corrupted (or a bad read from the cartridge). I’ll double check this, but the graphics came out in a kind of greyscale colour scheme for me. Every other game I checked was good though!

Regarding the buttons. I have found that the start button on the sidewinder is doing select (pressing it in Tetris causes the next block preview to hide and show), but none of buttons respond for start. It would be really nice to have a way to remap joypad buttons for the emulation also. I suppose it is impossible to predict how the button arrangement will come out on every controller out there?
Foundation
Foundation
by jlongstreet » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:18 pm
Some results:

I'm using this adapter: http://www.amazon.com/Retrolink-Nintend ... y_t_text_y with an original NES controller. It works, but the buttons are different than the "official" controller:

A is button 0
B is button 1
Select is button 2
Start is button 3

The axes for the d-pad are the same, i.e. -0 left, +0 right, -1 up, +1 down.

Unfortunately, it looks like the input_enable_hotkey_btn/input_exit_emulator_btn trick doesn't work. It works for me on my RetroPie setup (at least with a SNES controller, but that doesn't seem to be the issue, as this doesn't work with the SNES controller on glint-es either). It doesn't look like input_enable_hotkey_btn works at all, whatever I have set to exit the emulator always exits the emulator, regardless of the hotkey button. I'm thinking it's a retroarch version issue.

For the SNES controller, I'm using this adapter: http://www.amazon.com/SNES-Controller-A ... d_sim_vg_1

X is button 0
A is button 1
B is button 2
Y is button 3
L is button 6
R is button 7
Select is button 8
Start is button 9
And the same axes for the d-pad, -0 left, +0 right, -1 up, +1 down.
by normalocity » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:24 pm
@Davespice and @jlongstreet

It is impossible (not to mention impractical) for us to predict the layout of every controller that people want to use. There's no industry standard for assigning button IDs, and it's not feasible for us to "detect" your controller and auto-map the buttons because that will inevitably lead to mis-identification of controllers, and therefore controllers that will break for a lot of people.

As a result, in the next release, we will be doing two things:

1. Prompt you to configure your controller on first use, so you can setup the buttons anyway you want. This fixes the "How do we support the entire universe of controllers?" problem, as well as allow you to set it up to be whatever is comfortable for you.

2. I'll be adding a menu option inside the app that shows the game list that will allow you to re-configure your controller, so you can change the config on the fly.

Right now changing/resetting/remapping of your controller buttons requires exiting the list of games and manually editing two files. This is obviously a problem, and has become the #1 support question since the latest release. While we're happy with the new features we've added, and that so many more people are trying this out, I don't consider it okay that so many people are having problems with their controllers. So, we're going to get that fixed. :D
Last edited by normalocity on Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
by Davespice » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:36 pm
Thanks normalocity, looking forward to the next build! =)
Foundation
Foundation
by iain1970 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:27 am
normalocity wrote:@iain1970

Does the D-pad work inside the menu at least? For example, without doing any configuration can you go up/down?

I only downloaded one ROM, so can't answer that one. I shall try again this weekend with a couple or more and see what happens!

Basically you need to find out if your gamepad works with Linux at all. If it doesn't and/or you don't have drivers for it, I can't guarantee it will work. In the next release of glint-nes we will no longer come with a pre-configured joystick, and on first run will prompt you to configure your controller so that people can use any controller that works with Linux, and have a decent experience. It adds a step to the setup of your emulation experience, but we've seen that people are using a wide variety of controllers with this thing, and having a pre-configured joystick setup that doesn't work universally is causing more problems then it's apparently worth.

Sounds like a plan! I'm fairly sure it worked on Ubuntu, but not 100%. I shall check back for updates as and when.

The original idea was to have everyone on the same controller hardware to help mitigate this problem. Specifically, this one: http://www.amazon.com/Classic-Controlle ... B0034ZOAKO
by mutexer » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:44 pm
I could not get the input_enable_hotkey_btn to work either and really I wanted more than 2 buttons so I would not accidentally press them. I downloaded the latest source code for retroarch (the official branch now support the pi) at https://github.com/Themaister/RetroArch/ and modified retroarch.c like so:

Changed line 2803 from:
if (input_key_pressed_func(RARCH_QUIT_KEY) ||

to
if (input_key_pressed_func(RARCH_QUIT_KEY) || (input_key_pressed_func(RETRO_DEVICE_ID_JOYPAD_SELECT) && input_key_pressed_func(RETRO_DEVICE_ID_JOYPAD_START) && input_key_pressed_func(RETRO_DEVICE_ID_JOYPAD_A) &&
input_key_pressed_func(RETRO_DEVICE_ID_JOYPAD_B)) ||

Now it will let you quit by pressing Select, start, a and b all at the same time. I have not done a lot of testing yet but so far it seems to work great.

If you do decide to use the official version, I had to manually add to the makefile -lEGL because it was not finding EGL for some reason. You will also need to install the openal dev package. I also had to change the video driver in the config file from "rpi" to "vg". I think those were the only issues.
by normalocity » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:47 pm
The specific problem with this change is that Bionic Commando uses the simultaneous press of all four buttons to actually do something in-game. That function is actually pretty critical to playing the game, so putting this in will almost definitely break that game.

Another combination (Select, Start, D-Left) or something along these lines might be more appropriate.

Or really anything that combines, say, the Start button and a D-pad direction. I'm not currently aware of any games that need this. A simpler combination like this is also easier to press.
by mutexer » Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:13 pm
Ah, I was not aware of that sequence being used in bionic commando. Ill add a directional press to mine as well, thanks for info. Mostly I was posting how to enable a special key combination and should be easy for anyone to update it for the keys they want. A better solution would be the ability to expose a multi button combination to the config file so that it can be tweaked without recompiling.
by normalocity » Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:31 pm
Agreed - the config file level solution would be much more awesome.
by normalocity » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:26 am
I'm testing out the new build of retroarch on my own Raspberry Pi, and I can confirm that the config file option works great.

It's broken in previous builds, but the next release will include it, and the special "exit the emulator" command will be

Left+Select

A combination I'm pretty sure doesn't get pressed anywhere. Please let me know if this combination is a bad idea.
by HonkeyKong » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:16 am
I've found that adding this line to /home/pi/.retroarch/retroarch.cfg corrects the aspect ratio of the emulator:
video_aspect_ratio = "1.33333"

However, it appears that the rescaling slows down the emulator. Overclocking to 900MHz fixes the slowdown issue.

Also, for those using the Mayflash Wii Classic Controller USB adapter (http://tinyurl.com/WiiCCUSB), adding these lines to the retroarch.cfg will give you proper button mappings, as well as set the home button on Player 1's controller to exit the emulator and return to glint-es.

input_player1_joypad_index = "0"
input_player1_a_btn = "1"
input_player1_b_btn = "2"
input_player1_start_btn = "9"
input_player1_select_btn = "8"
input_player1_left_btn = "h0left"
input_player1_up_btn = "h0up"
input_player1_right_btn = "h0right"
input_player1_down_btn = "h0down"
input_exit_emulator_btn = "10"

input_player2_joypad_index = "1"
input_player2_a_btn = "1"
input_player2_b_btn = "2"
input_player2_start_btn = "9"
input_player2_select_btn = "8"
input_player2_left_btn = "h0left"
input_player2_up_btn = "h0up"
input_player2_right_btn = "h0right"
input_player2_down_btn = "h0down"

Hopefully this will help those of you who are trying to set it up to work without a keyboard.
by kevkaos » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:51 pm
every rom i try just goes to a black screen then back to the menu? have tried roms from a different source with the same results
by normalocity » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:01 pm
@kevkaos

Hm, weird. My suggestion for now would be to try re-imaging your SD card to try again, and to check your power supply to make sure it's at least 1.0 Amps (1,000 milliamps) minimum. If you've got a power supply that's putting out <1 Amp you're going to run into all kinds of problems that have nothing to do with the software.

If you reimage your SD card, try not just erasing it (which only really marks the SD as "empty" - it doesn't actually overwrite anything), but asking your formatting software to write 0s to the entire disk. This can help the OS identify if any sectors on the SD card are problematic or having trouble, and as a result, help resolve problems where just one part of your SD card is maybe problematic and causing strange side effects.

The other things to check are things like - are you using an NTSC, PAL, or HDMI monitor/TV? PAL users have had to manually alter the Pi settings to get it to work, while NTSC and HDMI monitors seems to work out of the box.

If none of those things work, we do plan to start publishing a known good/known bad list of ROMs by their SHAsum values (https://github.com/normalocity/glint-es/issues/11) in the near future. You should be able to use this tool, when it's implemented, to at least confirm/deny that the ROMs are the source of the issue (or not).
by kevkaos » Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:02 pm
cheers for the reply, tried a diffren usb stick to transfer the games and it worked??? weird? any way will continue testing and report any problems i encounter
by drumminhands » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:57 pm
HonkeyKong wrote:Also, for those using the Mayflash Wii Classic Controller USB adapter (http://tinyurl.com/WiiCCUSB), adding these lines to the retroarch.cfg will give you proper button mappings, as well as set the home button on Player 1's controller to exit the emulator and return to glint-es.

input_player1_left_btn = "h0left"
input_player1_up_btn = "h0up"
input_player1_right_btn = "h0right"
input_player1_down_btn = "h0down"
input_exit_emulator_btn = "10"

input_player2_joypad_index = "1"
input_player2_left_btn = "h0left"
input_player2_up_btn = "h0up"
input_player2_right_btn = "h0right"
input_player2_down_btn = "h0down"

HonkeyKong, did you have to do anything special to get the Mayflash working? Are the special drivers I need to load? I'm having issues with the device. When I have a Tomee SNES USB controller plugged it works fine for player 1. But when I shutdown, add the MayFlash, and boot up, I can't get any of the controllers to work. And advice would be wonderful.
by Murph74 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:37 am
I'm stuck right there with ya, Drumminhands. Anyone else having good results with the Mayflash adapter?
by Murph74 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:54 am
After quite a bit of playing around, I am running although I've still got lots of testing to complete. Drumminhands, here's what it took to get my Mayflash Wii to USB adapter running. (I realize this is slightly off topic as I'm using RetroPie, but this is one of the few threads with info on the Mayflash. Apologizes if this should have it's own thread.)

First, this is my "retroarch.cfg" file that resides in "/RetroPie/configs/all":

input_player1_y_btn = "3"
input_player1_up_btn = "12"
input_player1_down_btn = "14"
input_player1_left_btn = "15"
input_player1_right_btn = "13"
input_player1_x_btn = "0"
input_player1_l_btn = "6"
input_player1_r_btn = "7"
input_player1_l2_btn = "4"
input_player1_r2_btn = "5"
input_player1_l_x_plus_axis = "+0"
input_player1_l_x_minus_axis = "-0"
input_player1_l_y_plus_axis = "+1"
input_player1_l_y_minus_axis = "-1"
input_player1_r_x_plus_axis = "+2"
input_player1_r_x_minus_axis = "-2"
input_player1_r_y_plus_axis = "+3"
input_player1_r_y_minus_axis = "-3"
input_exit_emulator_btn  = "10"

input_player2_joypad_index = "0"
input_player2_y_btn = "3"
input_player2_up_btn = "12"
input_player2_down_btn = "14"
input_player2_left_btn = "15"
input_player2_right_btn = "13"
input_player2_x_btn = "0"
input_player2_l_btn = "6"
input_player2_r_btn = "7"
input_player2_l2_btn = "4"
input_player2_r2_btn = "5"
input_player2_l_x_plus_axis = "+0"
input_player2_l_x_minus_axis = "-0"
input_player2_l_y_plus_axis = "+1"
input_player2_l_y_minus_axis = "-1"
input_player2_r_x_plus_axis = "+2"
input_player2_r_x_minus_axis = "-2"
input_player2_r_y_plus_axis = "+3"
input_player2_r_y_minus_axis = "-3"
input_exit_emulator_btn  = "10"

Next, the "es_input.cfg" file from "/.emulationstation":

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<inputList>
   <inputConfig type="keyboard" />
   <inputConfig type="joystick" deviceName="SZMy-power LTD CO.  Dual Box WII">
      <input name="a" type="button" id="1" value="1" />
      <input name="b" type="button" id="2" value="1" />
      <input name="down" type="button" id="14" value="1" />
      <input name="left" type="button" id="15" value="1" />
      <input name="menu" type="button" id="10" value="1" />
      <input name="pagedown" type="button" id="7" value="1" />
      <input name="pageup" type="button" id="6" value="1" />
      <input name="right" type="button" id="13" value="1" />
      <input name="select" type="button" id="8" value="1" />
      <input name="up" type="button" id="12" value="1" />
   </inputConfig>
   <inputConfig type="joystick" deviceName="SZMy-power LTD CO.  Dual Box WII">
      <input name="a" type="button" id="1" value="1" />
      <input name="b" type="button" id="2" value="1" />
      <input name="down" type="button" id="14" value="1" />
      <input name="left" type="button" id="15" value="1" />
      <input name="menu" type="button" id="10" value="1" />
      <input name="pagedown" type="button" id="7" value="1" />
      <input name="pageup" type="button" id="6" value="1" />
      <input name="right" type="button" id="13" value="1" />
      <input name="select" type="button" id="8" value="1" />
      <input name="up" type="button" id="12" value="1" />
   </inputConfig>
</inputList>

These two files gt me up and running. I'm still tweaking some stuff and testing some other. Right now, I can't get Atari 2600 Basketball to work as a 1 player game-- controller 1 appears to work in 2 player mode, but the computer takes over that player when you go to 1 player mode, and controller 2 doesn't do anything that I can see. Also, has some fun reconfiguring the dgenrc file to be more consistent with the other emu controller profiles. And now, the first game I test is Toy Story, and the graphics appear to be missing half their colors! If anyone has any suggestions on those two issues, I'm all ears! :)