cannot execute binary file in firefox or seamonkey


12 posts
by jozien17 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:57 am
I downloaded firefox and seamonkey using midori on
my raspberry and when I try to run either one,
I get error "cannot execute binary file".
Have execute permission on both.

jozien17
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:35 pm
by toxibunny » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:15 am
hmm... I'd say you need to use that 'sudo apt-get install' thingy instead of downloading stuff using your browser. It's probably to do with ARM or windows or something...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:21 pm
by jozien17 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:30 am
toxibunny wrote:hmm... I'd say you need to use that 'sudo apt-get install' thingy instead of downloading stuff using your browser. It's probably to do with ARM or windows or something...

I tried apt-get and neither firefox or seamonkey "not found"

Thanks

jozien17
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:35 pm
by toxibunny » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:33 am
I dunno then, sorry. What's wrong with midori?
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...
Posts: 1142
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:21 pm
by jozien17 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:54 am
I use seamonkey as my default brouser because I can check my e-mail

jozien17
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:35 pm
by malakai » Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:00 am
I believe Seamonkey is x86 only so it's not available for the Pi

Firefox on Raspbian is called iceweasel due to trademark issues.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install iceweasel
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
User avatar
Posts: 1383
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:35 am
by efflandt » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:26 am
For seamonkey you would have to download the source code near the bottom of http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/ and compile it yourself, since the compiled Linux versions are not compiled for the Pi cpu.

I'll try that because I miss not having a simple HTML editor that the old Netscape had. But it will probably take overnight to compile.
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:47 am
Location: Elgin, IL USA
by rpdom » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:11 am
Seamonkey on Raspbian is called iceape and can be installed with apt-get.
User avatar
Posts: 3705
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Essex, UK
by jamesh » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:25 am
malakai wrote:Firefox on Raspbian is called iceweasel due to trademark issues.


Interesting - I never knew that and always wondered why it was called IceWeasel. Quick trip to WIkipedia has clarified it all. Thanks.
Soon to be employed engineer - Hurrah! Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at PiAcademy September 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 11902
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by jozien17 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:03 pm
efflandt wrote:For seamonkey you would have to download the source code near the bottom of http://www.seamonkey-project.org/releases/ and compile it yourself, since the compiled Linux versions are not compiled for the Pi cpu.

I'll try that because I miss not having a simple HTML editor that the old Netscape had. But it will probably take overnight to compile.


I will try to compile seamonkey myself because seamonley also allows me to check my e-mail.
What do I use now to check my email on pi?

Thanks to everyone for your repplies

jozien17
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:35 pm
by rpdom » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:10 pm
jozien17 wrote:I will try to compile seamonkey myself because seamonley also allows me to check my e-mail.
What do I use now to check my email on pi?


Thunderbird? Called icedove on Raspbian/Debian

Spot the theme?
Firefox = iceweasel
Thunderbird = icedove
Seamonkey = iceape

:-)
User avatar
Posts: 3705
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Essex, UK
by jozien17 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:35 am
rpdom wrote:
jozien17 wrote:I will try to compile seamonkey myself because seamonley also allows me to check my e-mail.
What do I use now to check my email on pi?


Thunderbird? Called icedove on Raspbian/Debian

Spot the theme?
Firefox = iceweasel
Thunderbird = icedove
Seamonkey = iceape

Very clever.

I downloaded and installed iceape and it works great, now I can check and send e-mail,
don't have to compile seamonkey.
Works exactly as seamonkey.

Thanks

jozien17


:-)
Posts: 23
Joined: Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:35 pm