What in the world is pacman?

4 posts
by CaptSaltyJack » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:54 am
I see a lot of references to using pacman to install things. But I'm on Raspbian wheezy which uses apt-get for package management? How is pacman different? Do I need it? (BTW, I'm advanced level with Debian/Ubuntu but not to other distros)
by ghans » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:43 am
pacman is used on Arch. Some people prefer Arch ,
but there is a reason we recommend Raspbian instead.

I recommend you to read
Code: Select all
man apt-get
man apt-cache

Install synaptic or aptitude and browse around ...

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by CaptSaltyJack » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:38 pm
Well, as I said.. I'm quite familiar with Debian/Ubuntu and already know all about apt-get. I was just curious what pacman was. Thanks.
by Mobius » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:39 pm
I've just started playing with the Arch Linux version and pacman stands for Package Manager. It's used to install packages. For instance, I found that Arch Linux on the Pi didn't have the command "iwconfig" so I had to install that on my Pi using pacman. As I understand it, Arch Linux is a stripped down verision of Linux where you install just the stuff you want. I did find that I could use the same "config.txt" file with Arch and Raspbian Wheezy so I was able to easily port over the changes I made for HDMI and overclocking.