Temperature Sensor

4 posts
by ibanezmatt13 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:52 pm
Hi,

I would like to create a program where I can use a TMP36 analog temperature sensor, along with a PCF8591 analog to digital converter, my Raspberry Pi, and a 4 digit 7 segment display with an i2c backpack from Adafruit.

I would like to be able to run a Python program which will convert the analog temperature into a digital signal so the Raspberry Pi can interpret it. Then, I want the program to output the current temperature reading to a 4 digit 7 segment display with i2c backpack. The backpack means that I do not have to multiplex the display and I only need power, ground, clock and data feeds.

Does anybody have any ideas as to how I should write this program. To be perfectly honest, I don't have the slightest idea what to write. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Matthew
by texy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:10 pm
Why not use a ds16s20 instead of the adc/tmp36. It's a 1-wire device so you can use it as well as the i2C display.
This thread may help :
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=23649

Texy
"2.8inch TFT LCD + Touch screen" add-on boards for sale here :
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=65566
50p goes to the Foundation ;-)
by ibanezmatt13 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:34 pm
texy wrote:Why not use a ds16s20 instead of the adc/tmp36. It's a 1-wire device so you can use it as well as the i2C display.
This thread may help :
viewtopic.php?f=37&t=23649

Texy

Hi,

Many thanks for your reply. I had a read of the aforementioned forum and it is quite interesting and may be something that I will look at in the future. However, for now, in order to further my knowledge of ADCs, I think I'll start with the basics.

Do you know how I could connect all of my listed components into the desired circuit?

Many thanks
Matthew
by Jimmirae » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:40 pm
Consider this:-
I have a BMW 325i motor car. The seat belt alarm keeps on activating and the speed control keeps dropping in and out when least expected. I also need to refit the head gasket and re-time the engine. Can you tell me how I can do this?

This is what your request for help sounds like.... that is.... someone needs to do all the work for you.
Yes! Go back to basics. Break down your project into manageable modules. Then ask questions about the things that are causing you problems and concern. Only then will find that many knowledgeable people and myself (hopefully) will be able to help you in a more defined way.
Don't be scared.... go for it. Get your hands dirty!!!