Confused blind newbie

10 posts
by Cromarty » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:33 am
Hello. Got my first Pi today and I am confused by it and can't get off first base. I am blind. As far as I can tell there are no connectors wide enough to accept a USB device. Also, what are the little things on the board which have a little thing that lift up slightly and then click back into position when pressed? Can someone describe the orientation of the connectors? Sort of north, south etc. Thanks
--
Michael Ray
Analyst/Programmer
Surrey, UK
4xB, 1xB+,
Creator and admin of:
raspberry-vi@freelists.org
Ham radio call: G4XBF
'Suddenly I am become death, destroyer of SD cards'
by aTao » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:50 am
Cromarty wrote:Hello. Got my first Pi today and I am confused by it and can't get off first base. I am blind. As far as I can tell there are no connectors wide enough to accept a USB device. Also, what are the little things on the board which have a little thing that lift up slightly and then click back into position when pressed? Can someone describe the orientation of the connectors? Sort of north, south etc. Thanks

Ok, you should find 2 large metal boxes at one short edge, with those on top, call that edge east.
East edge:
south east corner facing east is the ethernet socket, clip on plug is underneath.
north from there facing east are 2 stacked USB sockets
North edge:
north east almost corner facing north is the headphone jack then composite video phono then north west corner is GPIO 26 bare pins facing up
West edge:
center underneath is the SD card slot, card contacts need to face the board ie up
south west corner facing west is the micro USB power connector, the long flat side (not the bevelled side of the pulg) faces up. Be carfull not to use the capacitor immediately east of this connector as a thumb grip when connecting power, it will break off.
South edge:
middle, facing south is the HDMI video out, as with the power connector the bevelled side of the plug faces down.

The things that click up and snap down are flexi circuit sockets and are not used yet, one will be for a camera.
>)))'><'(((<
by pluggy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:06 pm
The bits that lift up slightly are ribbon cable connectors as used on the internals of laptops. One of them is for the yet to be released camera module. The other is again for future development. Taking North as the long side with the RCA connector (smooth metal round socket) in the middle. Also on the north side to the left is the GPIO connector which is 26 metal pins stuck straight up. To the right of the RCA on the north edge is a plastic audio connector. On the East side are the 2 largest lumpy metal bits. The top one (North most) is a double USB socket, the one below it on the east side is an ethernet connector. On the south edge in the middle is the HDMI connector. On the west side on the bottom face of the board is the SD card slot. On the top side of the board on the south west corner is the micro-USB power connector. The socket faces west.

I assume you've got some software that reads replies.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
by Cromarty » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:33 pm
Thanks for your help. Yes on Windows I use an Open Source screen-reader called NVDA, and on Vinux (Visually Impaired Linux) I use Orca. I have used Linux for years professionally. One more question...why does the SD card holder seem too wide to hold my SD card?
--
Michael Ray
Analyst/Programmer
Surrey, UK
4xB, 1xB+,
Creator and admin of:
by pluggy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:40 pm
It does take a standard SD card - The card is upside down in relation to the board - the end of the card sticks out past the west edge of the Pi board. The champhered corner of the SD card is north west looking from the top of the board with the SD cards label facing downwards.
by pluggy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:46 pm
You haven't got a micro SD card have you ?, they are much smaller (less than the size of a finger nail) and require an adapter to fit a standard SD socket.
by Cromarty » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:51 pm
I think the card holder on my Pi is damaged. It is really hard to know because I can't see pictures but looking at the underside of the board there is no cover over the card slot so there is nothing to keep the card properly seated
--
Michael Ray
Analyst/Programmer
Surrey, UK
4xB, 1xB+,
Creator and admin of:
by ghans » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:04 pm
The card slot has no cover. It is the cheapest type of card
holder available - it has been chosen to keep the price low.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by pluggy » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:14 pm
Yes, it just slides in under the plastic sides of the socket. It works OK if you're gentle with it. There have been reports of it breaking if the board falls off the table or something. Numerous ingenious repairs have appeared, involving glue and bits of credit card or removing it and replacing it with a metal one.
by Cromarty » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:33 pm
OK I'm an idiot...I haven't got my SD card with Raspbian on it yet and the card I was holding up to the board to get a feel for it was a mini-SD, not an SD card. The only full size card I have here is in my talking book reader so I guess I have to chew my fingers until Monday
--
Michael Ray
Analyst/Programmer
Surrey, UK
4xB, 1xB+,
Creator and admin of: