Just a couple inquiries off the top of my head

5 posts
by zlanj » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:01 am
Hi guys!

I just got my RPi today and it's friday night, so I have no school work to do, thus I am configuring my RPi.

Please note I have searched the forums and have found irrelevant results or 2 different answers.

I am running Raspbian Wheezy if that is of any use.

1. How do I change my default 'pi' username to something else?
I already have a new password configured
I was thinking maybe make a whole new username and password together to have an emergency user with default user/pass.

2. If you choose to logout via LXDE (logo button>>logout, menu appears, logout/cancel) it brings up a prompt for a password for user : 'raspberrypi' I typed in 'raspberry', then the password I set as my own, both are incorrect. What is the password for this LXDE I guess is my question.

3. I read once you run the OS on an SD card, a flash drive can take over so it is unnecessary to need your SD card ever again, this is a lot more convenient for me, can someone give me links to do this so I don't need to carry an SD on me at all times?

Thank you very much, and let me know if I worded something in a strange way and I can explain it better for you all.

PS I am new to command lines and Linux (OSX user here) so bare with me!
by malakai » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:12 am
Only have a minute so can't answer all the questions

The SD Card will always be needed it is the only way to boot the Pi you can move info off the card but you will always need it.

I have never seen the log out ask for a password did you change the password in the raspi-config screen or some other method i.e. command line.

And to clarify it seems you want to A. rename pi and B. create a new user so if someone has more time than I do maybe they can give some tips.

Sorry have to get back to work.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by zlanj » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:02 am
Thats a bummer about the SD card thing.

I can upload a picture that login screen issue thing I have going on too if you guys want.

And I want to make a new user and password altogether, I can revert 'pi' and 'raspberry' back.

Thanks for the help
by Kaptein » Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:34 pm
You can add a user using the following command:
Code: Select all
sudo useradd blueberry

Where blueberry is the new username you want. You will then need to add a password with
Code: Select all
sudo passwd blueberry

You will be promted to input the new password twice after the last command.
Shut up and start talking!
by zlanj » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:42 am
Thank you, for the help!