WHY ?

Moderators: DrPiD, Pankoi

7 posts
by ++bahjatk++ » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:52 pm
Why isn't the Pi Store hosted on raspberrypi.org ?
It would be much more acceptable, usable, and useful here. Why do we need to create IndieCity accounts ? and be dependent on their ecosystem ?
by WeUsePis » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:24 pm
From what I understand IndieCity offered to host the store and provide all the infrastructure that revolves around it. Having the choice between someone else take care (and even pay?) for it or spending the probably not that plentiful foundation money on hosting non-core services I fully agree with choosing the first option. I think that the store service adds value that the Foundation otherwise could not might not even want to provide, not out of desinterest, but they need to focus on the Pi hardware.
As discussed in other threads, if you do not want to create an IndieCity account then don't do it. It will still leave you with a very functional Pi.
Our Pi Blog - http://weusepis.wordpress.com/
by MattHawkinsUK » Fri Jan 04, 2013 8:09 pm
I think the answer to "Why do we need to create IndieCity accounts ? and be dependent on their ecosystem ?" is because the alternative is to create your own ecosystem. That means servers and tons of software. The Foundation would have been faced with a huge development task and their focus isn't writing that sort of application. So they picked a partner just as they did to manufacture and distribute the Pi.

I can see why it would have been cool if the Foundation created their own store but I can also see why this would have been impractical if not impossible.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)
by ++bahjatk++ » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:00 am
It ain't impossible, I myself can be up to the task and do it (volunteering). Yet, if money and time is the concern.. well ok.
I now get the bigger idea. Thanks for explaining.
by aTao » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:19 am
I think that 3rd party (thats PiStore product developers) commerce is outside the regulations governing The Foundation. They are a charity and to spend time and effort promoting profit for other people might not be permitted.
IndieCity does not have such restrictions. Neither does anyone else, so, if you want to set up a RPi resource shop then go right ahead. There are more than one games site on the web so why not more than one RPI software site......
>)))'><'(((<
by ghans » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:36 am
It would be pretty cool if you made a Raspbian repo with
bleeding-edge builds of all the stuff the community makes .

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by ++bahjatk++ » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:39 pm
I also think it would be cool ghans, but I don't know how to make a repo since I am not good with Linux (new to it). Still, I can Google it - Shouldn't be that hard.
I will like to do it actually, will post on the forum when it is live.
Problem is I don't have a server, 000webhost.com can provide hosting with 1.5GB storage. Will it be enough ?