Mini PC under $50

2 posts
by ThePiGamer » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:32 pm
I'm planning on making a mini computer like the Pi, but I do not have much experience in making small devices. So I'm hoping some of you could point me in the directions of tuts or places where I can get the parts. Please keep in mind that I'm trying to make this so I can go to hotel where they have wifi and browse the web, I don't want much more than this just web browsing and video watching so it doesn't have to be very powerful at all.
(Sorry if I sound kind of stupid in this post I don't really understand how such small computers works, I only have experience making full sized computers)
by cmatthews » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:03 am
ThePiGamer wrote:Please keep in mind that I'm trying to make this so I can go to hotel where they have wifi and browse the web, I don't want much more than this just web browsing and video watching so it doesn't have to be very powerful at all.

Doesn't the Raspberry Pi, with a WiFi dongle, do everything that you want to do?

If you really wanted to then you could build something small(ish) yourself based on a Mini-ITX mobo or similar, but it would be bigger and more expensive than the RPi and therefore not very much like it at all. The upside is that it would be relatively simple and the parts are available.

In contrast, creating an embedded device like the Raspberry Pi it isn't commercially viable in volumes of less than perhaps 50K, presuming that you can get a SoC supplier to agree to sell you some chips and presuming that you understand how to design the hardware that goes around it. This is very complex indeed and some parts would be almost impossible to source.

My advice would be to spend your time exploring how the Raspberry Pi can meet your needs and learn as much as you can about small computers in the process! :)

PS: Out of interest, when you get to the hotel, what are you going to use as a display?
www.mydominion.co.uk