Project questions

4 posts
by Ewarwoowar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:22 pm
Hi all,

I got a RPi for christmas and have just been messing around with Linux distros and learning linux commands and what they do. Nothing to hectic and just the basics to get started as I have never used Linux before.

I already have a project in mind but not a massive one, one that uses different kinds of methods like coding + electrical components to get me started.
My project is to build a small 10" touch screen unit with a built in 1tb HDD which will run an XBMC distro.
This will be connected to speakers around my room or house so I can centrally control my music.
Along with that I intend to mount a 16x2 LCD screen which will display the current track playing and maybe scroll some information about the artist and album information.

I understand power issues and will be powering all the external devices(LCD, 10" screen, HDD) externally to the PI and I have a 2a 5v branded supply for my Pi and do intend to overclock it a teeny bit.

Although this project may not seem hard, it is for me as I have no Linux or python experience.

Here are my main questions that I can hope to get help with:
-Displaying current track information on the 16x2 LCD. What will I need to get this information? I've hard about APIs but not done any in depth research yet but I think that's what I need to get the track information.
-What will I need to do to get a touch screen working? I'm not asking to leech anything, I'd much rather learn how to get a screen working than just download an already created file and FTP it onto the PI.
-Any good python learning sites or courses?
-And finally, am I out of my depth? I intend to do 1 part of the build at a time and not get too flustered.

Many thanks in advance.
by ghans » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:09 pm
http://www.learnpythonthehardway.org
You might have a look into the MagPi, too.
Nice articles on GPIO and Python.
http://www.themagpi.com

For your touchscreen :
Get confident on the commandline.
Then compile your own kernel - as a learning experience.
Then research what you have to do for your touchscreen.
You could start with a search for "eGalax" on this forums.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by Ewarwoowar » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:30 pm
Thanks for that Ghans.

Will start on the python training as soon as possible.

What I'm intending to do is completely possible, correct?
by ghans » Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:02 pm
Well ...
to be honest , you should check back for the Touchscreen on
the XBMC / Xbian forums. I have seen people having success
with X11 , but not XBMC.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org