SD Card Memory

12 posts
by amzdabom » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:43 pm
I downloaded the Raspberry Pi software onto my 16GB SD card and wrote it onto it. I'm now using a different SD card of 4GB to power my Raspberry Pi but after removing the files from my 16GB SD card to use it for my camera, it says it only has 55.7 MB of memory. Anyone know how to get my SD card of 55.7MB of memory back to full 16GB?

by jamiesk » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:08 am
Put the SD card into a PC and format it. Make sure there are is only one partition.
Pi1 (Nov 2012 loft)= 1KW immersion controller for Solar panel
Pi2 (Jan 2013 living room)=Play thing
Pi3 (Feb 2013 mobile)= Play thing with Tandy Ladder board,breakout board,Nokia display
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=28193
by Jim JKla » Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:42 am
Or put the SD into a camera and format works as well. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick
by vama89 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:48 am
Curious though, does anyone know why that this happened? I have a 4GB card, and when I used the Win32DiskImager program, the card only reads a few MB.

Why and how did it become that way?
by Jim JKla » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:09 am
I am not sure if this is the scenario and there is more detail in the wiki if you follow this link http://elinux.org/RPi_Noob_Guide_to_the_Pi_image#Getting_an_image

A basic overview is this
When you image an SD card it ignores the format and writes the data byte for byte creating a new structure and it must start with enough space in one partition to write in the entire image.

But the written image splits that partition into three parts the first part is a small boot section that is structured to be readable by almost any computer the second partition is a Linux structured partition this is readable by any Linux computer some others but specifically not PC/Windows and MAC's and a third part that at at image time remains unused.

If you then go to format using either of these using standard formatting techniques the computer only formats the piece of the SD card it can see that is the reduced boot section.

If you use a camera (note most SD compatable cameras) the camera creates a basic structure without reading the card a format thats Windows/Mac compatable that grabs the whole card it just overwrites the card with a structure it can use.

Some of the tools you can get that work with either Windowsor MAC do this as well but not the standard out of the box ones.

If this still has you puzzled re post and I will try and expand on this. (I know I have over simplified the reality to ease explanation) ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

by canibalimao » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:32 pm
vama89 wrote:Curious though, does anyone know why that this happened? I have a 4GB card, and when I used the Win32DiskImager program, the card only reads a few MB.

Why and how did it become that way?

That's because windows only detects one partition of the SD. The card have more partitions for linux and windows can't read those. Don't be affraid, that's normal.
by Kurtpi » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:49 am
I had the same problem. I just plugged the sd card in my android phone then I formatted it. I take it out and put it in my computer and I formatted it again. Now it shows 16gb again.
by Jim JKla » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:52 am
An Android Phone is not a Camera. It's something that contains a camera. (Or to be clear its something thats a lot of things part of which pretends its a camera when that part is really an image processing subsystem that theyhave told you is a camera.

By a camera we mean something that’s a camera and nothing else. An android phone has an operating system that may have the capability of seeing some of those non fat32 partitions and setting them aside.

A bog standard digital camera usually has a very low level formatter that just wipes everything. Your Android Phone is trying to be "all things to all men"

That’s something we probably did not make clear enough.

by peterka » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:33 pm
My three SD-HC SanDisk 16GB Ultra / Class 10 do not work with NOOBS 1.3
NOOBS 1.3 itself works fine. But while attempting to boot into Debian / OpenELEC / xbmc RPi hangs.
My SD-HC SanDisk 8GB Class 4 works fine.
How can I help to investigate this issue?

Peter
by toxibunny » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:40 pm
Jim, the android phone format worked, apparently...
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...
by Jim JKla » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:47 pm
OK

by FTrevorGowen » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:23 pm
peterka wrote:My three SD-HC SanDisk 16GB Ultra / Class 10 do not work with NOOBS 1.3
NOOBS 1.3 itself works fine. But while attempting to boot into Debian / OpenELEC / xbmc RPi hangs.
My SD-HC SanDisk 8GB Class 4 works fine.
How can I help to investigate this issue?

Peter

There is a "known issue" with Sandisk Ultra cards which has begun to be resolved - see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=56872&start=25 (esp. @rdb's recent posts w.r.t. NOOBS 1.3 lite).
Trev.
Mainly running "Wheezy Raspbian" on four Pi's (an A, B1 & 2xB2). Notes about them begin at http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virginmedia.com/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm