SqueezePlug Version 6 available

542 posts   Page 7 of 22   1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 22
by truehl » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:20 pm
Leussink wrote:So i want the perfect setup for a High Quality Sound system like sonos with my RPi with Squeezeplug on it :D

That's my favorite DAC. Runs with SqueezePlug ouz of the box:
http://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B000KW2 ... 01_s00_i00
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de
by SoundSunPleasure » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:26 pm
cdalessio wrote:
Leussink wrote:Hi!

The sound quality from the onboard Pi audio interface was terrible.

HDMI Works but is it possible to use HDMI without a monitor / tv on???

And what is the recommended Wifi adapter for squeezeplug??

So i want the perfect setup for a High Quality Sound system like sonos with my RPi with Squeezeplug on it :D

Maybe some people can send their system setup with external hardware for the pi???

Thanks in advance

For best quality sound, you need a separate USB DAC (or use the HDMI) - onboard sound is just not there.

If you're attaching to a receiver with HDMI support, you should be able to get audio without a screen attached. I've not done this so can't be specific, but I suspect the instructions elsewhere in this thread to specify the default output device will be the ticket.

WiFi adapters, look at the official raspbian supported devices list. Like many, I'm using the Edimax.

My problem is that I have a USB hard drive and the Edimax WLAN USB dongle hooked in, so a USB DAC isn't possible for me.

I was looking at these:
http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium-Au ... B00AHS8LD8
http://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Digital ... 005COKXCO/
by Leussink » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:11 pm
Hmmm... my Philips hts3377 Home theatre system has only HDMI output, the Pi has also a HDMI Output so this never works???

So i need to buy the adviced Behringer usb dac?

Thomas, what other external hardware u using with you Pi, like wifi adapter ect?
by cdalessio » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:38 pm
SoundSunPleasure wrote:
cdalessio wrote:
Leussink wrote:Hi!

The sound quality from the onboard Pi audio interface was terrible.

HDMI Works but is it possible to use HDMI without a monitor / tv on???

And what is the recommended Wifi adapter for squeezeplug??

So i want the perfect setup for a High Quality Sound system like sonos with my RPi with Squeezeplug on it :D

Maybe some people can send their system setup with external hardware for the pi???

Thanks in advance

For best quality sound, you need a separate USB DAC (or use the HDMI) - onboard sound is just not there.

If you're attaching to a receiver with HDMI support, you should be able to get audio without a screen attached. I've not done this so can't be specific, but I suspect the instructions elsewhere in this thread to specify the default output device will be the ticket.

WiFi adapters, look at the official raspbian supported devices list. Like many, I'm using the Edimax.

My problem is that I have a USB hard drive and the Edimax WLAN USB dongle hooked in, so a USB DAC isn't possible for me.

I was looking at these:
http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium-Au ... B00AHS8LD8
http://www.amazon.com/Extractor-Digital ... 005COKXCO/

Extracting just audio from the HDMI stream isn't ideal - you'd be better suited with a good USB hub in the picture - this would allow you to use a USB-powered HDD as well if you so chose.

You've made me realize I need an accessory 5v port on my previously mentioned DAC project though. :) That would allow a USB hub to be powered from the same main power supply (thus only one wall plug for everything).

Leussink wrote:Hmmm... my Philips hts3377 Home theatre system has only HDMI output, the Pi has also a HDMI Output so this never works???

So i need to buy the adviced Behringer usb dac?

Thomas, what other external hardware u using with you Pi, like wifi adapter ect?

The rPi should work with your setup just fine, I should think.
by SoundSunPleasure » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:43 pm
cdalessio wrote:Extracting just audio from the HDMI stream isn't ideal - you'd be better suited with a good USB hub in the picture - this would allow you to use a USB-powered HDD as well if you so chose.

That's what I was afraid of. Oh well, no big deal. :)

I'm not a fan of Behringer products, so I won't be purchasing the recommended DAC. Anybody have experience with DAC Destroyer?
http://www.hotaudio.com/store2/index.ph ... uct_id=244
by cdalessio » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:09 pm
SoundSunPleasure wrote:
cdalessio wrote:Extracting just audio from the HDMI stream isn't ideal - you'd be better suited with a good USB hub in the picture - this would allow you to use a USB-powered HDD as well if you so chose.

That's what I was afraid of. Oh well, no big deal. :)

I'm not a fan of Behringer products, so I won't be purchasing the recommended DAC. Anybody have experience with DAC Destroyer?
http://www.hotaudio.com/store2/index.ph ... uct_id=244

That's a quality, though basic LM2705 DAC, which should work quite well. 16/48 limited.

The same chip family is where I'm starting my work (though I'll be adding an output stage for improved performance (especially if you're wiring it up to an amp or powered speakers).
by SoundSunPleasure » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:16 pm
cdalessio wrote:That's a quality, though basic LM2705 DAC, which should work quite well. 16/48 limited.

The same chip family is where I'm starting my work (though I'll be adding an output stage for improved performance (especially if you're wiring it up to an amp or powered speakers).

Hmm... I have many 24/96 files on my hard drive that I would like to play. I'll look for something that can handle that.
by truehl » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:22 pm
truehl wrote:@ All with non working Edimax Wifi

Could you plaese ty this:

Code: Select all
root@squeezeplug:~# cp /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces.org

nano /etc/network/interfaces

delete the complete contense and replace it with:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them.
#
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
#
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "your SSID"
wpa-psk "your Password"
#
# The LAN network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Please use the SqueezePlug version 6.01 for this check. Wifi with Edmimax should work then. Please report back the results here.

Thanks,
Thomas

Please, all Edimax victims, please check, I'd like to finish the patch for it !!!
:roll:
truehl
by SoundSunPleasure » Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:37 pm
truehl wrote:Please, all Edimax victims, please check, I'd like to finish the patch for it !!!

I'm a victim, but won't be able to try this until Monday. :(
by cdalessio » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:16 pm
SoundSunPleasure wrote:
cdalessio wrote:That's a quality, though basic LM2705 DAC, which should work quite well. 16/48 limited.

Hmm... I have many 24/96 files on my hard drive that I would like to play. I'll look for something that can handle that.

As I mentioned before, the only USB DAC chip I know that works well with Linux and has this kind of support is XMOS - others seem to have issues with changes in bitrate, popping, etc. There may be some I don't know of still :) You're jumping up in price though. If someone else has a non-XMOS device working (The TI stuff in particular, I know the Cirrus stuff has definite problems) hopefully they'll chime in. I'd have to research to know if one of the other devices offered by the same guy would fit the bill - they might. They cost more too. :)

You can get a good XMOS based USB Receiver for ~$60-100, but you'd have to pair it with a standard DAC (via I2S or S/PDIF.)

Don't let me dissuade you from trying the HDMI > analog audio route, but I've not seen anyone have much luck there without using high-end stuff ($400+ and usually not available direct, easily. Installer only)
by cdalessio » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:33 pm
truehl wrote:Please, all Edimax victims, please check, I'd like to finish the patch for it !!!

I was having problems, though perhaps not the same as everyone else.

One thing I did note is that I have to broadcast SSID, which disappoints me. :)

I have been unable to get WiFi to work with eth0 disabled. I can get it to bring up wlan0 so the device has networking, but couldn't ssh to it, if I left eth0 enabled. DHCP server is reporting both IP's on both MAC addresses, one wired one wireless (MAC is correct based on wired or wireless) if I have it plugged in - not quite sure what's up with that.

Given these oddities I went ahead and tried this. It didn't help, but I'm not 100% sure it wasn't LF problems (it seems the keyboard I'm using isn't sending expected control sequences - " comes through as @, for example, so I may have had a bad /etc/network/interfaces file as the root of this.)

Since it was behaving stupidly I did a "reset network configuration" through the setup tool and everything started working, better than prior - I could now ssh with only wireless going (but eth0 still enabled) which I had been unable to do before.

Despite it not being quite as "not working" as before, I went ahead and tried this again to see if anything changed. wlan0 comes up just fine now, no errors or anything. Or rather, still comes up, since after the reset it was working as expected.

I then commented eth0 manually (vs disabling through the setup tool), and it it successfully brings up wlan0 without eth0 now as well.

I can't say if this is remotely helpful, but perhaps it is.

Thanks for your hard work!

C
by castalla » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:42 pm
This thread is getting so confused with so many different topics.

Could there not be a separate thread for Squeezeplug and DACs?

I started separate thread for bluetooth and squeezeplug to avoid cluttering up what should really be about basic configuring and setting up issues.

Just my 2c worth..
by SoundSunPleasure » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:55 pm
truehl wrote:
truehl wrote:@ All with non working Edimax Wifi

Could you plaese ty this:

root@squeezeplug:~# cp /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces.org

nano /etc/network/interfaces

delete the complete contense and replace it with:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them.
#
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
#
auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wpa-ssid "your SSID"
wpa-psk "your Password"
#
# The LAN network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

Please use the SqueezePlug version 6.01 for this check. Wifi with Edmimax should work then. Please report back the results here.

Thanks,
Thomas

Please, all Edimax victims, please check, I'd like to finish the patch for it !!!

Thomas,

I had some time to try it. Didn't work for me.

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr b8:27:eb:8f:81:21
          inet addr:192.168.0.9  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:106 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:145 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:10606 (10.3 KiB)  TX bytes:21989 (21.4 KiB)

lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:2 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:100 (100.0 B)  TX bytes:100 (100.0 B)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 80:1f:02:7e:47:55
          UP BROADCAST MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
by truehl » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:54 pm
SoundSunPleasure wrote:I had some time to try it. Didn't work for me

I think I'll go crazy with this things :roll: :roll: :roll:

I've tested it with different Wifi devices and with different RPi's.

It's all working for me, without porblems. I think I'll finish my patch 6.02 now and we will see whether it works for others. We two should then make another Skype call to figure it out for you!

What do you think?
truehl
by castalla » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:05 am
truehl wrote:
SoundSunPleasure wrote:I had some time to try it. Didn't work for me

I think I'll go crazy with this things :roll: :roll: :roll:

I've tested it with different Wifi devices and with different RPi's.

It's all working for me, without porblems. I think I'll finish my patch 6.02 now and we will see whether it works for others. We two should then make another Skype call to figure it out for you!

What do you think?

Just wait until you get your bluetooth dongle, then you'll really go bananas! :lol: :lol: :lol:
by truehl » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:09 am
castalla wrote:Just wait until you get your bluetooth dongle, then you'll really go bananas! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Already got it, but did not try!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
truehl
by castalla » Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:18 am
Well, good luck! Maybe post your comments, experiences in my thread on bt?
I'll be adding some notes on my recent experiences tomorrow.
by CIM » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:57 pm
Thank you for your response and hard work on SqueezePlug. I did see the reference to the dongles listed in the script but am having a hard time purchasing any of the 3 as I am in the US and all sites selling the dongles are in Germany or Ireland and I don't speak German and cant get delivery to the US from vendor in Ireland. If you have any thoughts on how to get the BIGtec dongle in the US let me know.

I have a secondary question for you. I would like to use SqueezePlug as an AP to deliver multimedia content over a large area. I currently use Ubiquiti products in my Wireless Networking business and would like to use the "Pico" (http://www.ubnt.com/airmax#picostationm) with the RPi. Can you tell me what issues I will have trying to partner this device with your system and where I could get help with making it work?

Thank you for your help.

truehl wrote:
truehl wrote:
CIM wrote:I have updated to ver. 6.01. My wifi dongles (Edimax RT5370) are working great! Thank you! However, I loaded the Access Point feature and received a "hostapd failed!" during boot-up and I do not see the SqueezeAP available on any of my wireless devices. Any suggestions?

Wifi dongles supporting this accesspoint feature are very rare. I listed them in the setup script I think. Do you own one of this supported ones?

Here they are:
BIGtec 150Mbit nano USB WLAN Stick Adapte with a Ralink RT5370 chipset
Allnet ALL0234MINI Wireless N 150Mbit USB-Mini-Pen Adapter
Ferguson Wi-Fi Dongle W02 150 Mbit 802.11 Stick

Sorry, not the Edimax. The Edimax is working as a Wifi Client, but can not be used as an AccessPoint as far as I know. AP support is a special feature which is not supported by all dongles.
by drgeoff » Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:01 pm
Will any Wi-Fi dongle with the Ralink RT5370 chip work as an AP or is it only a subset which have an "added extra"?
by DunJen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:32 am
Hi!
Thankyou so much for your work on Squeezeplug.
I just wanted to know if Squeezeplug (using squeezeplay) can use an existing Squeezebox server that I already have setup or if it has to utilise itself as the server?

I hope you can help with my enquiry.
Once again, kudos!!

Cheers,
Duncan
by truehl » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:29 am
DunJen wrote:Hi!
Thankyou so much for your work on Squeezeplug.
I just wanted to know if Squeezeplug (using squeezeplay) can use an existing Squeezebox server that I already have setup or if it has to utilise itself as the server?

I hope you can help with my enquiry.
Once again, kudos!!

Cheers,
Duncan

Sure it is! You can choose whether to make SqueezePlug a Server, a Player or both. You can also choose between a branch of different servers and players. No server and no player is active on a new installation. during the setup you can choose servers and players as you like.

I recommend you to use SqueezeLite as a player! That's the best player you can get these days, very high quality. You can install as much players with SqueezePlug as you like, each will have a unique name and you can access the from you SqueezeBox environment!

Hope that helps
truehl
by DunJen » Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:20 am
Thankyou so much for your quick reply.
That's awesome news!!
Squeezplug will fit right in with what I have planned.

Thanks again!
Duncan
by truehl » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:56 am
Little delay in patch level 6.02

Hi folks,
I like to inform you, that there will be a little delay with the release of patch level 6.02. The reason is that I think I found the Wifi bugs and I also found a way to fix them. So I decided to change the network setup scripts completely and that will take some more time for developing and testing. So please be patient for some more days!

There are also some exiting new things coming up with the next patches, so stay tuned!

Have fun,
Thomas
truehl
by phil001 » Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:28 am
Hi,
with regards to DAC's, does anyone have any experience of the 'Turtle Beach Micro 2' working ok?
Seen it on offer and was considering purchasing...
Thanks

edit - seen you can get VERY cheap usb soundcards on ebay, anything from £1.50 upwards. Would these provide any improvement at all (if they work at all!) over the Pi's 3.5mm output?
by tom-pi » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:03 pm
truehl wrote:
tom-pi wrote:Yes, I have do this.

I used your setup menu to do everything.

Tom

And did you try SqueezeSlave, only to see if this is recognized from LMS.

Yes. SquezzeSlave will be recognized on boot, while for SqueezeLite I need to issue the command /usr/bin/squeezelite &

The strange thing is that SqueezeLite is running before I give the command, but LMS doesn't see it! (as indicated from the WebMin interface)

Once I manually give the command, all is well.

Tom