SqueezePlug Version 6 available

542 posts   Page 3 of 22   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22
by bantammenace2012 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:58 am
truehl wrote:
bantammenace2012 wrote:Hi,
I've just upgraded to v 6 and Squeezelite.
I was using sound over HDMI v5 and SqueezeSlave but now I cannot seem to get/hear any sound through HDMI ?
I do not appear to be getting anything through the audio jack either ?
Am I right in thinking that Squeezelite is optimised for use with USB DACS ?
How do I get sound through HDMI in v6 with Squeezelite ?

Please try this
Code: Select all
root@squeezeplug:~# setup

From the menu select:
<Server_and_Player>
<Player>
<AudioSettings>

Test and adjust the audio settings. If that works, go over to SqueezeLite. If not, give me a sign!

Hello Truehl,
LMS with Squeezeslave with Squeezeplug v6 is now working very well over HDMI.
LMS with Squeezelite with SqueezeLite v6 is now working very well over HDMI.
fyi I have not investigated the headphone output from the RPi.
The problem was simply a speaker setting on my AV receiver, not LMS/Squeezeplug/Squeezelite software and not the RPi.

Great work Truehl and thanks again.
There will be a small donation coming your way asap.
by truehl » Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:05 pm
Trixster wrote:Will do Thomas, I can't rule out its not something I'm doing wrong! For the record, my standard rasbian image works fine with the dongle!

Hi Trixter,
could you please try this:

nano /etc network/interfaces

and than replace the code with this:
# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them.
#
# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
#
# The LAN network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp
#
# The WLAN network interface
allow-hotplug wlan0
iface wlan0 inet manual
wpa-roam /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
iface default inet dhcp

then:
nano /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf

and than replace the code with this:
ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1

network={
        ssid="yourwlan"
        psk="yourpassphrase"
        proto=RSN
        key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
        pairwise=TKIP
        auth_alg=OPEN
}

change the ssid and psk

Please report back the result!
truehl
http://www.squeezeplug.de
by will_jones » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:25 pm
Hello Thomas and other contributers,

First of all many thanks for your work in creating and developing this software for the benefit of people like me.

I have no prior experience of linux but have managed to get several versions of the squeezeplug working on my raspberry pi in conjunction with a mybooklive nas, having read the info on your blog and wiki, both of which have been very helpful.

In my experience, when installed it works beautifully, beyond my expectations. However I do have a query, and please excuse me if this is due to my ignorance.

After having the LMS working without any problems, if I disconnect the power or remove the sd card from the pi, I cannot get it to work again. If I try and connect via putty, I get an error message saying "connection refused", and even if I connect a monitor directly to the pi, I just get a black screen. The only way I can find to remedy the problem is to do a completely fresh install, which obviously takes some time.

I would be very grateful for any advice for this issue. Many thanks in advance.

Will
by selfi » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:47 pm
Hi Thomas,

I've been doing some initial testing on the migration script you've provided, and here are my results so far:

1) As a baseline, I installed both the V6 HF and SF releases. For the HF release, after expanding the file system (I am using an 8GB, Class 10 SD card), I installed Squeezeslave, which operated OK through the on-board sound card. There was some stuttering in the sound initially, as I was changing the sound level through a web browser to LMS installed on my QNAP NAS. After a minute or so, that settled down. I'll attempt to reproduce this when I test again.
For the SF release, again after expanding the file system, the installation of Squeezeslave was refused, as it is not supported. The "experimental" version of Squeezeslave also refused to install. To check operation, I installed Squeezelite, which worked (again through the onboard sound card).

2) After establishing a baseline, I downloaded the latest releases of Rasbian (HF, 2012-12-16) And Debian Wheezy (SF, 2012-08-08). I did not apply updates directly.

3) After installing Raspbian and expanding the file system, I followed your posted commands. There was a slight hiccup as, after logging out and logging in as root, an initial script runs which changed the logged in ID back to pi. After noticing that, the script ran fine, as far as I can recall (see later). The system updated and installed the V6 code, after asking me whether I was running HF or SF. Squeezeslave installed ok and ran, though to my ears the sound quality was worse than with your vanilla V6 release. That could simply be my ears deceiving me, and I will check again.

4) Debian Wheezy showed the same hiccup as Raspbian when going through the initial setup - but that was no issue. The script ran and downloaded updates, but there were errors in the download I noticed (broken connection). This occurred several times in the script execution, and repeated when I re-ran from scratch. The errors were in the update part of the script. I don't have a record of them as the logging failed to work. I will try again and see what happens. However, after installing the V6 code, I tried to install Squeezeslave, assuming it would fail. But the script told me it had installed. After rebooting, Squeezeslave didn't start of course. I "uninstalled" it and installed Squeezelite. That did install, but after getting it to run, the sound (still through the onboard soundcard) was only a noisy "mush". I suspect that errors in the update may be to blame, but I will try the test again.

Major issues appear to be that Squeezeslave script tells the user it is installing on SF when it isn't, unlike the vanilla V6 script which tells the user it is not supported.

Plan now is to reproduce the tests and collect logs if possible.

Regards Ian
by truehl » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:13 pm
will_jones wrote:After having the LMS working without any problems, if I disconnect the power or remove the sd card from the pi, I cannot get it to work again.

You should not pull power or draw the sd-card before the system is down. Sometimes this leads into your issue. You should shutdown your device before:
shutdown -h now

or
halt

or
init 0
truehl
by will_jones » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:01 pm
Thanks for reply.

I tried "shutdown -h now". Then I disconnected power, and reconnected. Unfortunately the same problem.
by truehl » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:09 pm
will_jones wrote:Thanks for reply.

I tried "shutdown -h now". Then I disconnected power, and reconnected. Unfortunately the same problem.

Wait for 2 minutes after a shutdown -h now. If that wont work, you have an SD-Card issue!
truehl
by Killerbee » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:50 pm
@Thomas

Correct me if I am wrong but I think I found a small bug:
in /etc/default/squeezelite a variable SBSIP is defined but in /etc/init.d/squeezelite SBSHOST is used

Best regards

KB

PS I am using the softfloat version.
by truehl » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:56 pm
Attention @ all:
The WiFi setup in SqueezePlug 6 has a bug! WiFi therefore should not work at the moment with any Stick!

I've found the problem and I'm on the way to fix it. A patch will be on the way soon, you can install it from my scripts, when it's done. Some other minor bugs we be also fixed with this patch!

Have fun,
Thomas
truehl
by will_jones » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:20 pm
Afraid that doesn't work. Tried the shutdown command, waited 10 mins, then unplugged and then re-plugged in the pi, and same thing again. I don't think that it's the sd card because I bought it today, and I had the same problem with a different sd card (although not using the shutdown command then). Has anyone else had this issue?
by truehl » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:42 pm
will_jones wrote:Afraid that doesn't work. Tried the shutdown command, waited 10 mins, then unplugged and then re-plugged in the pi, and same thing again. I don't think that it's the sd card because I bought it today, and I had the same problem with a different sd card (although not using the shutdown command then). Has anyone else had this issue?

Which version are you using HF or SF ? When did you download the image? Could you try with a fresh download?
truehl
by tw99 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:03 pm
I've just done a clean install of the V6 Soft Float version onto a 4Gb card. Installed Logitech Media Server, mounted my USB hard drive, configured the LMS & rescanned, and now have Triode's Spotify plugin running successfully via my Squeezebox Touch. Getting the Triode plugin to work was my main aim in doing this, since the official one is quite flaky.

Not doing anything with clients at the moment, but the installation and setup just for LMS was totally clean and simple. Many thanks Thomas. :D

I'll keep an eye on how it runs for the next few days and report back if I have any issues. The only thing I really still need to do is enable Samba.
by steves999 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:30 pm
Thomas
Just a small bit of feedback....not much to say as it all worked!
I find that burning the image works more reliably using win32diskimager rather than the one you suggest. Scan time for about 50k tracks (on an attached 2.5" usb drive) was about 5 1/2 hours which I though pretty good.
Spotify (Triodes plugin) works perfectly, as does everything else I've tried so far.
i'm getting some buffering issues on spotify, but I think that's more to do with the wireless side of my router than the squeezeplug so I'm replacing the router and will report back.
All in all, many thanks and a small token of appreciation is heading your way!

Steve
by Lugie » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:49 am
Hi,

Sorry, Thomas, I tried the commands you gave me but it didn't change the name to the same name of my squeezelite player. I saw the 'AirPi' string in that init file. When I changed it manually, it did get reflected in iTunes. I copied each line exactly into the terminal window; I don't think I did them incorrectly. Please let me know if you want me to try something different.

Thank you,
Lugie.
by onefatsurfer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:58 am
truehl wrote:
onefatsurfer wrote:
Last login: Tue Jan  1 08:02:30 2013 from stephanie-pc.home
root@squeezeplug:~# squeezelite -l
Output devices:
  null                           - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
  sysdefault:CARD=Audio          - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
  front:CARD=Audio,DEV=0         - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - Front speakers
  surround40:CARD=Audio,DEV=0    - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
  surround41:CARD=Audio,DEV=0    - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
  surround50:CARD=Audio,DEV=0    - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
  surround51:CARD=Audio,DEV=0    - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
  surround71:CARD=Audio,DEV=0    - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
  iec958:CARD=Audio,DEV=0        - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
  sysdefault:CARD=ALSA           - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device

root@squeezeplug:~#
/usr/bin/squeezelite -l
Output devices:
  null                           - Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
  sysdefault:CARD=Audio          - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - Default Audio Device
  front:CARD=Audio,DEV=0         - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - Front speakers
  surround40:CARD=Audio,DEV=0    - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - 4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
  surround41:CARD=Audio,DEV=0    - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - 4.1 Surround output to Front, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
  surround50:CARD=Audio,DEV=0    - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - 5.0 Surround output to Front, Center and Rear speakers
  surround51:CARD=Audio,DEV=0    - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - 5.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Rear and Subwoofer speakers
  surround71:CARD=Audio,DEV=0    - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - 7.1 Surround output to Front, Center, Side, Rear and Woofer speakers
  iec958:CARD=Audio,DEV=0        - DigiHug USB Audio, USB Audio - IEC958 (S/PDIF) Digital Audio Output
  sysdefault:CARD=ALSA           - bcm2835 ALSA, bcm2835 ALSA - Default Audio Device

root@squeezeplug:~#

Could you try this please:

killall squeezelite
/usr/bin/squeezelite -o sysdefault:CARD=Audio

and

killall squeezelite
/usr/bin/squeezelite -o front:CARD=Audio,DEV=0

Please report back the results.

No luck. :( I rebooted between each try, since something stays in use even after killing the program. I bought a new power supply for the raspberry pi, and with the hard drive plugged in and the USB DAC/headphone amp on full power, TP1 and TP2 are measuring 4.8v, which apparently should be acceptable. I am starting to think that this is not a power problem (though, the powered USB hub is on its way) after reading this article:
http://www.jackenhack.com/raspberry-pi- ... -problems/

:|

Thanks for your help, Thomas.
by truehl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:16 am
onefatsurfer wrote:No luck. :( I rebooted between each try, since something stays in use even after killing the program. .

One last try with that DAC:
Did you saw this:
viewtopic.php?p=240636#p240636
try to change the asound.conf like described, maybe that helps.
truehl
by onefatsurfer » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:47 am
No dice. It plays the pink noise without any popping or clicking, but then gets screwy when I try to play through squeezelite. I don't get it. :oops:

I'm going to try the hard float version. Maybe that will work better?
by truehl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:26 am
onefatsurfer wrote:No dice. It plays the pink noise without any popping or clicking, but then gets screwy when I try to play through squeezelite. I don't get it. :oops:

I'm going to try the hard float version. Maybe that will work better?

No, I don't think so, but you can try.

I love this DAC:
http://www.amazon.de/Behringer-UCA202-I ... =8-2-fkmr1
truehl
by truehl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:28 am
Lugie wrote:Hi,

Sorry, Thomas, I tried the commands you gave me but it didn't change the name to the same name of my squeezelite player. I saw the 'AirPi' string in that init file. When I changed it manually, it did get reflected in iTunes. I copied each line exactly into the terminal window; I don't think I did them incorrectly. Please let me know if you want me to try something different.

Thank you,
Lugie.

I'll take a deeper look!
truehl
by truehl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:30 am
Killerbee wrote:@Thomas

Correct me if I am wrong but I think I found a small bug:
in /etc/default/squeezelite a variable SBSIP is defined but in /etc/init.d/squeezelite SBSHOST is used

Best regards

KB

PS I am using the softfloat version.

You are right! Thanks for the info. It will be patched soon!
truehl
by phil001 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 9:53 am
Hi, total noob here, hoping to be able to make use of this in the future!
Are there any install/setup videos for the PI that i can watch to see exactly what is involved?
Many thanks
by steves999 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:26 am
phil001 wrote:Hi, total noob here, hoping to be able to make use of this in the future!
Are there any install/setup videos for the PI that i can watch to see exactly what is involved?
Many thanks

Yes, Thomas has a video on his site http://www.squeezeplug.eu/ - it's for the older version and some menu items have changed, but the principle is the same.
I know next to nothing about Linux and have had no great problems getting squeezeplug with LMS setup and running. If you've got a RPi and a spare SD card I'd say give it a go! I'm loving having my music server running on a tiny, silent, low power device rather than leaving a PC running as I used to!
From what I'm reading here, most of the issues people have are using the RPi as a client player with a USB DAC which I don't do - I just use it as the server, with hardware squeezeboxes and android client players.
It's also a fun project - if you like this kind of thing....which I do!
by will_jones » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:31 am
truehl wrote:
will_jones wrote:Afraid that doesn't work. Tried the shutdown command, waited 10 mins, then unplugged and then re-plugged in the pi, and same thing again. I don't think that it's the sd card because I bought it today, and I had the same problem with a different sd card (although not using the shutdown command then). Has anyone else had this issue?

Which version are you using HF or SF ? When did you download the image? Could you try with a fresh download?

I'm using the HF version. I redownloaded the image and tried again, this time before installing LMS and this time it worked. Going to try again after installing LMS. I need to sort this out otherwise it's going to be a nuisance everytime I need to disconnect the power. Will let you know how I get on.
by truehl » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:44 am
will_jones wrote:
truehl wrote:

I'm using the HF version. I redownloaded the image and tried again, this time before installing LMS and this time it worked. Going to try again after installing LMS. I need to sort this out otherwise it's going to be a nuisance everytime I need to disconnect the power. Will let you know how I get on.

O.k. Thanks! I tried it about 100 times I think and don't have a problem at all with a branch of different SD-Cards. Since I use ext4 for the filessystem even a power dropout is normally not a problem!
truehl
by phil001 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:01 am
steves999 wrote:
phil001 wrote:Hi, total noob here, hoping to be able to make use of this in the future!
Many thanks

Yes, Thomas has a video on his site http://www.squeezeplug.eu/ - it's for the older version and some menu items have changed, but the principle is the same.
I know next to nothing about Linux and have had no great problems getting squeezeplug with LMS setup and running. If you've got a RPi and a spare SD card I'd say give it a go! I'm loving having my music server running on a tiny, silent, low power device rather than leaving a PC running as I used to!
From what I'm reading here, most of the issues people have are using the RPi as a client player with a USB DAC which I don't do - I just use it as the server, with hardware squeezeboxes and android client players.
It's also a fun project - if you like this kind of thing....which I do!

Thanks for the info, all i can see currently are the youtube videos for goflex or HD installs. Maybe they have been removed for updating