GUI issue


27 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by techforay » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:42 pm
I am using ssh to remote into my RPI and i am able to get a command prompt and login. I type "starts" as described in the instructions and I see the following and the GUI never loads. pi@raspberrypi ~ $ startx


X.Org X Server 1.12.4
Release Date: 2012-08-27
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 3.2.0-2-mx5 armv7l Debian
Current Operating System: Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #250 PREEMPT Thu Oct 18 19:03:02 BST 2012 armv6l
Kernel command line: dma.dmachans=0x7f35 bcm2708_fb.fbwidth=656 bcm2708_fb.fbheight=416 bcm2708.boardrev=0xf bcm2708.serial=0x37c3562d smsc95xx.macaddr=B8:27:EB:C3:56:2D sdhci-bcm2708.emmc_clock_freq=100000000 vc_mem.mem_base=0x1c000000 vc_mem.mem_size=0x20000000 dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=ttyAMA0,115200 kgdboc=ttyAMA0,115200 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline rootwait
Build Date: 10 December 2012 05:45:57AM
xorg-server 2:1.12.4-4 (Julien Cristau <jcristau@debian.org>)
Current version of pixman: 0.26.0
Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.1.log", Time: Sat Dec 29 11:38:35 2012
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:28 am
Location: Puyallup Wa. USA
by techforay » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:44 pm
error in note above. I am typing "startx"
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:28 am
Location: Puyallup Wa. USA
by login to rasply » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:50 pm
connected via hdmi or are you trying to view it remotely?
os version/type?
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:40 pm
by techforay » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:56 pm
I am trying to view it by remote and my OS is Mac osx 10.8.2
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:28 am
Location: Puyallup Wa. USA
by eepunk » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:34 pm
X won't work over ssh. You'll need vnc if you want a remote graphical interface.

E.E.
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:43 am
by login to rasply » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:07 pm
su apt-get install tightvncserver

the apple machine needs vnc client software
Posts: 7
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:40 pm
by ghans » Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:52 pm
X does work over SSH.
Its one of the more secure and comfortable ways to get
a remote desktop IMHO.

You have to start a X Server on your "client" machine !
Read that again. Yes , the X Server provides a physical
display to programs , which are called X Clients !
So Server on your Mac , clients on the RasPi.

Note that Mac OS comes with a X Server on the Installation Disk
or something.

So on a Mac, try this after installing X :

Code: Select all
ssh -X pi@IPADRESS
lxsession&


The Pi desktop should pop up.


ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
Posts: 3926
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:30 pm
Location: Germany
by PeterO » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:12 pm
ghans wrote:X does work over SSH.


You have to understand the slightly "backwards" X client-server architecture to understand the problem.

By running "startx" the OP was trying to start an X server, that's the software that drives a display and provides keyboard and mouse events.
Things like LXDE and terminals and browsers are all examples of X clients. Confusingly in most cases people run an X server of the same machine they run their X client applications. If you log directly into your PI and run startx, it will start up a server and a number of clients all running on the PI.

But X was originally designed to have clients running on super computers and servers running on workstations.
If you use ssh to login to your PI from a desktop linux machine , ssh will allow the X clients running on your PI to use the X server running on your desktop machine.

HTH

PeterO
User avatar
Posts: 521
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2012 4:14 pm
by techforay » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:11 am
I did not have the installation disk for Mac OSX because I downloaded it off the internet. I did some web searching and found out that x server did not come with OS 10.8. However is was instructed to go to Xquartz 11. I did so and tried to do as instructed in the previous note. Here is the result.

Last login: Sat Dec 29 17:01:09 on console
Kim-Ray-Divineys-MacBook-Pro:~ diviney2$ ssh -x pi@192.168.2.41
pi@192.168.2.41's password:
Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #250 PREEMPT Thu Oct 18 19:03:02 BST 2012 armv6l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Sat Dec 29 16:45:51 2012 from 192.168.2.34
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ lxsession&
[1] 2158
pi@raspberrypi ~ $
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:28 am
Location: Puyallup Wa. USA
by techforay » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:00 am
well i finally got the GUI to work. I did not realize that the sever had to be installed on the RPI. Thanks for the help. It was a very learning day.
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:28 am
Location: Puyallup Wa. USA
by ghans » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:43 am
I think you don't need a X Server on the Pi.
X Apps should simply connect to the X Server running on the Mac.
Is that a capital "X" in the ssh invocation ? (TBH i don't know if it makes
a difference)

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
Posts: 3926
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:30 pm
Location: Germany
by rurwin » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:54 am
It makes a very big difference:

man ssh wrote: -X Enables X11 forwarding.
-x Disables X11 forwarding.
User avatar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 2890
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:16 pm
by ghans » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:02 pm
Well , good to know. :lol:

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
Posts: 3926
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:30 pm
Location: Germany
by jamesh » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:44 pm
rurwin wrote:It makes a very big difference:

man ssh wrote: -X Enables X11 forwarding.
-x Disables X11 forwarding.


Gotta love the person who thought that was a good idea.
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10569
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm
by techforay » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:19 am
Well I feel a little dumb for going through all that I went through because I did not capitalize an X. Just for learning I re-imaged my sd card and tried it without installing running "su apt-get install tightvncserver" and using the capital X. The desktop pops up now on the mac but I can select any of the icons and the bar across the bottom is missing. Any suggestion on what I need to do?

Kim-Ray-Divineys-MacBook-Pro:~ diviney2$ ssh -X pi@192.168.2.41
pi@192.168.2.41's password:
Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #250 PREEMPT Thu Oct 18 19:03:02 BST 2012 armv6l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Sun Dec 30 13:05:47 2012 from 192.168.2.34
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ lxsesson
-bash: lxsesson: command not found
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ lxsession&
[1] 1981
pi@raspberrypi ~ $
** (lxpanel:1988): WARNING **: Config files are not found.

Openbox-Message: A window manager is already running on screen 0
Failure: Module initialization failed

is the terminal print.
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:28 am
Location: Puyallup Wa. USA
by bgirardot » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:36 am
This is a bug in raspbian if your very first boot does not have a monitor attached.

You can fix the issue with this command after you have tried lxsession once:

Code: Select all
cp -rp /etc/xdg/lxpanel/profile/LXDE/* ~/.config/lxpanel/LXDE/


Cheers.

techfiray wrote:Well I feel a little dumb for going through all that I went through because I did not capitalize an X. Just for learning I re-imaged my sd card and tried it without installing running "su apt-get install tightvncserver" and using the capital X. The desktop pops up now on the mac but I can select any of the icons and the bar across the bottom is missing. Any suggestion on what I need to do?

Kim-Ray-Divineys-MacBook-Pro:~ diviney2$ ssh -X pi@192.168.2.41
pi@192.168.2.41's password:
Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #250 PREEMPT Thu Oct 18 19:03:02 BST 2012 armv6l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Sun Dec 30 13:05:47 2012 from 192.168.2.34
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ lxsesson
-bash: lxsesson: command not found
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ lxsession&
[1] 1981
pi@raspberrypi ~ $
** (lxpanel:1988): WARNING **: Config files are not found.

Openbox-Message: A window manager is already running on screen 0
Failure: Module initialization failed

is the terminal print.
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:20 am
Location: Switzerland
by techforay » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:58 am
my assumption was i needed to run this command on the pi after starting a ssh -X connection and before you run the lxsession&. I did this and something changed. I can now access the task bar and run applications from there. I still can not select the pi icons from the desktop but i can select the mac icons. Is this the way it should be?
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:28 am
Location: Puyallup Wa. USA
by raider007 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:44 am
Hello,

I am having the same problem. I'm using a HDMI for video. I can't get the RPI to boot to the GUI. I've configured the RPI to boot to the GUI but upon reboot it goes to the command prompt for username and password. What should I do? I admit I am very green on this programming stuff. Trying to learn. Thank you in advance for help...

Kurt
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:35 am
by ghans » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:49 am
What happens if you log in ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
Posts: 3926
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:30 pm
Location: Germany
by raider007 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:09 pm
When I log in I get the pi@raspberrypi ~ $ command prompt and then nothing else it does not activivate the desktop as I configured it. When I run sudo raspi-config again and try set the boot behaviour again and reboot it still does the same thing. Also something to note...I've not been able to set the keyboard layout, locale, and timezone within this confige menu screen. Anytime I try to set each one it looks like RPI is running a script and then it fails with "There was an error running do_change_locale" I click OK and it takes me back to the menu listing. I confirmed that my download of raspberry wheezy was complete using the checksum. I am using Windows. I also used the https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download to download the win32diskimager-binary.zip to unpack the operating system onto the flash SD card. I tried to redo this process thinking that something went wrong in the unpacking but my Windows XP laptop wont recognize the SD card now. I'm guessing that's because its formatted to Linux now. Right?

any thoughts here would be appreciated...

raider007
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:35 am
by ghans » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:33 pm
Did you use sudo before the command , i.e.
sudo raspi-config ?


ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
Posts: 3926
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:30 pm
Location: Germany
by raider007 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:05 pm
yes I did...sudo raspi-config
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:35 am
by bgirardot » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:24 am
techfiray wrote:my assumption was i needed to run this command on the pi after starting a ssh -X connection and before you run the lxsession&. I did this and something changed. I can now access the task bar and run applications from there. I still can not select the pi icons from the desktop but i can select the mac icons. Is this the way it should be?


You did the command to fix the task bar at the bottom correctly, at the command line, before you started an lxsession.

You should be able to use the icons on the raspberry pi's desktop, I have not run into that issue before so I do not have any suggestions about how to fix it.
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:20 am
Location: Switzerland
by bgirardot » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:27 am
raider007 wrote:When I log in I get the pi@raspberrypi ~ $ command prompt and then nothing else it does not activivate the desktop as I configured it. When I run sudo raspi-config again and try set the boot behaviour again and reboot it still does the same thing. Also something to note...I've not been able to set the keyboard layout, locale, and timezone within this confige menu screen. Anytime I try to set each one it looks like RPI is running a script and then it fails with "There was an error running do_change_locale" I click OK and it takes me back to the menu listing. I confirmed that my download of raspberry wheezy was complete using the checksum. I am using Windows. I also used the https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download to download the win32diskimager-binary.zip to unpack the operating system onto the flash SD card. I tried to redo this process thinking that something went wrong in the unpacking but my Windows XP laptop wont recognize the SD card now. I'm guessing that's because its formatted to Linux now. Right?

any thoughts here would be appreciated...

raider007


The windows xp machine should recognize a part of the card, what is called the 'boot partition' which is formatted fat16, which is a windows file system format. Even if the windows machine only sees part of the sd that is fine for using win32diskimager to re-write the image to card. But it should at least see that boot partition, if it doesn't see it at all something else is up with the card.
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:20 am
Location: Switzerland
by techforay » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:55 pm
bgirardot wrote:
techfiray wrote:my assumption was i needed to run this command on the pi after starting a ssh -X connection and before you run the lxsession&. I did this and something changed. I can now access the task bar and run applications from there. I still can not select the pi icons from the desktop but i can select the mac icons. Is this the way it should be?


You did the command to fix the task bar at the bottom correctly, at the command line, before you started an lxsession.

You should be able to use the icons on the raspberry pi's desktop, I have not run into that issue before so I do not have any suggestions about how to fix it.


I notice that when I login i get the below failure message. Could that have anything to do with the desktop icons not working for the Pi?


Kim-Ray-Divineys-MacBook-Pro:~ diviney2$ ssh -X pi@192.168.2.41
pi@192.168.2.41's password:
Linux raspberrypi 3.2.27+ #250 PREEMPT Thu Oct 18 19:03:02 BST 2012 armv6l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Tue Jan 1 14:44:14 2013 from 192.168.2.34
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ lxsession&
[1] 2058
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ Openbox-Message: A window manager is already running on screen 0
Failure: Module initialization failed
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:28 am
Location: Puyallup Wa. USA