Using laptop as a monitor

5 posts
by Doug 011 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:46 am
Hi

I am just setting up my Pi, but don't have access to a monitor sometimes. I wonder if anyone knows if I can hook up my HP Pavillion DV6 laptop and use it just as a monitor for the Pi? Does anyone know how I could do this please?

Thank you
by longboat » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:18 pm
Install TightVNC.
I do all my development work with a laptop, sitting downstairs in a comfy chair, the Raspi is upstairs in my study.

Enjoy.
by Doug 011 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:44 pm
Thank you. And how do I actually physically connect the raspi to the laptop? with a hdmi lead or something?
by ghans » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:46 pm
You have to connect both the Laptop and the Pi to
the same LAN (via Ethernet , for example).

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by fxmaker » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:49 pm
Doug 011 wrote:Thank you. And how do I actually physically connect the raspi to the laptop? with a hdmi lead or something?

Installing TightVNC as suggested will enable you to have a VNC (virtual network console) running on your PI. Think of it this way (simplified): the VNC server (the PI) sends screen grabs to the client (your laptop) replicating what would be seen on a monitor attached to the PI. The server (PI) accepts mouse and keyboard input from the client (laptop) simulating a user standing with the PI. The communications vehicle is a wired or fast wireless connection.

You'll need X running for this to work plus a network connected PI.