What to do with raspi.co.uk?

6 posts
by raspi » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:01 pm
A good while before the Pi was released I registered the domain name raspi.co.uk and was hoping to be more proactive in supporting and blogging about the Pi, but I really don't have the spare time or energy. I was hoping my son would get involved but he also is busy with his life and his spare time is involved in his music-making.

So if anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear what you think should be done with this domain. It's a great domain name and should be used in service of the Raspberry Pi somehow.

At present it is set up as a Wordpress site and a forum, but this could change, it isn't cast in stone.

I am a veteran designer by trade and would love the site to have an arty bias, especially the fusion of electronics and art, but a general educational slant would be fine too. I think the geeky side of Linux programming is well served by others.

I need other volunteers to co-moderate and drive the site. So if you have any ideas or wish to be involved then by all means please make some suggestions.

What is not currently being adequately covered by other people and websites?

Would you like to be involved? Can you help?
by hop » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:40 pm
I would love to be involved! Maybe a deviantart image board would be popular? Futuba is relatively lightweight.

http://boards.4chan.org/g/ Is the technology board on 4chan. I don't recommend basing the sites morals on theirs though! :lol:
by Jim Manley » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:04 pm
I'd like to help and my first two recommendations would be to:

(1) keep it fast and light in terms of bytes per page of HTML/Javascript/PHP/etc., so that pages will load quickly on the pokey Pi built-in browsers (autodetecting round-trip network and browser rendering speeds and adjusting content load dynamically would be very useful), and

(2) keep it oriented toward the Foundation's original (and continuing) educational mission for helping kids (and by extension and definition, their families and teachers) to understand how computing works, starting with the basics.

The forums have become overfilled with both basic questions asked a million times that the experts are too bored to answer any more, and technoterica (technology esoterica) that beginners have no clue how to read, much less comprehend. Few contributors are keeping the eLinux wiki updated and organized with currently-relevant info that can be understood by beginners.

Other than that, the play has been just fine, Mrs. Lincoln ... ;)
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by andrum99 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:43 pm
Cool site! Love the colour scheme, fonts and layout. :-)

Andrew.
My blog, with lots of Raspberry Pi goodness: andrum99.blogspot.co.uk
by raspi » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:16 pm
Jan Margolius I really love your website, you would definitely be an asset to the project, both artistically and coding-wise. I love your deconstructing 'Oh no you broke my website!' page, I really had a lot of fun with that.

I also take on board the idea that maybe the website should be Pi-browser-friendly, but if this means a very limited feature set then I would rather forgo that for a fun user experience and full functionality, especially if it is to be perhaps a Deviant Art-style Pi related website. I like that idea a lot, but I would need someone with way better coding skills than I possess.

Who can help set this up?
by hop » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:50 am
raspi wrote:Jan Margolius I really love your website, you would definitely be an asset to the project, both artistically and coding-wise. I love your deconstructing 'Oh no you broke my website!' page, I really had a lot of fun with that.

I also take on board the idea that maybe the website should be Pi-browser-friendly, but if this means a very limited feature set then I would rather forgo that for a fun user experience and full functionality, especially if it is to be perhaps a Deviant Art-style Pi related website. I like that idea a lot, but I would need someone with way better coding skills than I possess.

Who can help set this up?

I have a lot of time on my hands next week, email me.