Possible Hardware Problem

9 posts
by 7ewis » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:10 pm
I have a thread here: viewtopic.php?t=26932 but I am now starting to think that this could be a problem with the actual hardware.

I cannot think of any other reason why it wouldn't work. I have been researching this for hours now, and don't know what else I can try other than buying another RPi really.

So my last resort is to ask you troubleshooters if you know what the problem is.

Please could you post in the other topic to keep everything together, but I will need this to be bumped occasionally to spread some awareness here too, as this is more dedicated to troubleshooting, and the general forum could be for anything.

Please help me get my Pi working! :(
Raspberry Pi - Model B (512MB)
by redhawk » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:19 pm
Well judging by your posts X-Windows is loading and you are able to move the mouse so I fail to see how this could be a hardware problem.

Are you logged in as root btw??

Sounds like a possible bad flash so I would suggest re-flashing Raspbian or try another SD-Card (preferable something below Class 10 like a Class 4) and see what happens.
Also try other well established packages like OpenELEC, Xbian, Raspbmc see how they run on you Pi.

For images of OpenELEC visit: http://sparky0815.de/openelec-download- ... fat-files/

Richard S.
by 7ewis » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:45 pm
Well I just don't know what else it could be, unless there's a problem with the OS!

I tried Arch Linux, and couldn't get a graphical interface on there either, but Raspbmc worked okay.

I was logged in with pi and raspberry.

I have flashed multiple SD's and they have all had the same problem, although they are all probably around 2 years old. But then in the other topic someone else said they had the same problem with an 8GB SDHC, which must be fairly new. I might just buy a new one to try out, what one would you suggest?
by jamesh » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:18 am
It's definitely not a HW problem. Too much is actually working for it to be that.
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September and October 2014.
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
by 7ewis » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:00 pm
Oh okay, so it must be either a problem with the SD, or a bug in the OS or something?

I am going to order a new SD card today when I find out what the best one to buy is, one that has actually been proven to work! :)
by jamesh » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:55 pm
7ewis wrote:Oh okay, so it must be either a problem with the SD, or a bug in the OS or something?

I am going to order a new SD card today when I find out what the best one to buy is, one that has actually been proven to work! :)

A bug in the OS would have resulted in a lot more bug reports! So I'm guessing a setup problem somewhere.

With regard to SD cards, every one I've tried has worked fine! But there is a list on the Wiki of known workers.
Volunteer at the Raspberry Pi Foundation, helper at Picademy September and October 2014.
by 7ewis » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:58 pm
I guess so, but someone was mentioning earlier that it may be something to do with the newer 512mb model, I don't know.

I think I'm going to buy this and see if I can make it work, as I think the SD card must be the problem now: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003VNKNEQ

From elinux I think that should be fine? :)
by stevhorn5 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:09 pm
7ewis wrote:I think I'm going to buy this and see if I can make it work, as I think the SD card must be the problem now: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003VNKNEQ

That's one of the ones I use and it has been trouble-free so far.
by 7ewis » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:18 pm
Brilliant! Just ordered it from Amazon, thanks :)

The estimated delivery is between the 3rd - 5th Jan though :(