Keyboard repeating keystrokes with PI

26 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by kkid » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:15 pm
I got a Pi for Xmas and tried to set it up that day.

I installed raspbian to an 8GB SDHC card and managed to get to the login section where I am supposed to enter "pi" then "raspberry".

The problem is that keys will be recognised as pressed but not aways recognised as released so will repeat the same character over and over again - making typing impossible. It also happened witht he arrow keys so selecting things was a real hassle.

I am using the Microsoft Comfort Keyboard and Mouse 5000: http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/microsoft- ... 27121409:s

this keyboard and mouse works perfectly in both Windows 7 and Ubuntu and I have also used it on other devices such as the PS3 with no issues whatsoever. It is only the PI.

What can I do to solve this?
I have no other keyboards
by DirkS » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:23 pm
What can I do to solve this?

Your keyboard is in the 'problems list' (http://elinux.org/RPi_VerifiedPeriphera ... _Keyboards). It looks as if your only option is to get a different one...

Gr.
Dirk.
by kkid » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:25 pm
urgh... is there likely to be any software solution to it or is it purely a RPI hardware compatibility issue?
by Maxion » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:40 pm
kkid wrote:urgh... is there likely to be any software solution to it or is it purely a RPI hardware compatibility issue?

Could be a bad driver, but you'd need a working keyboard and the knowledge to fix it.
by kkid » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:07 pm
I'm a novice of RPi, is it unlikely that I will ever to be able to use my keyboard with it then?
by David84 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:19 pm
Hey, first post here!

I have the same problem with a Logitech diNovo keyboard using the dongle. I also have a diNovo edge that i lost the dongle to, but could connect using a usb bluetooth dongle in the preinstalled os. The problem arises in the raspbmc os where i cannot get the bluetooth connection running, but the diNovo (no edge) works, though with the repeating keystrokes it makes it pretty difficult just entering the terminal and doing the login... :?
I know it would help with a wired usb keyboard, but i could only find a ps/2 one and no adaptor :/

I also noticed the Logitech diNovo keyboard is not listed on the previously mentioned page, dunno if it should be added?

btw, im a linux noob so don't expect too much!
by kkid » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:34 pm
Also, is this an issue with all OSs?

Because I am not bothered about using Raspbian, I will use any.
by Pete6 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:54 pm
Mine did this on an old Ortek wireless keyboard and trackpad. At first I thought it to be my keyboard but I knew the keyboard worked well with Windows and I could see that Linux was picking up the keyboard name at boot time.

I switched keyboards to a Dell USB type and it did the same. Hmmm.

It turned out to be a power/USB port problem. I used a powered USB hub and connected my keyboard dongle to that and now all is well.

I am puzzled since I used a 5V 1Amp regulated power supply via the micro-USB port to power the PI. Now I am using a 5V 1Amp regulated power supply via the USB hub to the USB port and it all works well.

I have tried this on both the Debian OS for the Pi and with OpenELEC XBMC and both my keyboards work well.

Once more, with any electronic project. The better the power supply, the better the prject works.
My favorite programming language is a soldering iron.
by pjc123 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:02 pm
kkid wrote:Also, is this an issue with all OSs?

Because I am not bothered about using Raspbian, I will use any.

You need to get a different keyboard........period. I bought my pi on the first day and this issue has existed since then for various wireless keyboards. You could always wait a year or two for a fix, or a new revision of the pi.
by nathansuchy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:22 pm
Buying a nonwireless keyboard could help but a self powered usb hub is a essential. I have a self powered usb hub with 10 ports that i plug all of my devices into then into the pi and my actual pi unit has it's own 5V|1A adapter so power is never an issue for me. When you have repeating keys power could be the issue, Does your rasppi get exactly 5v|1a if not buy an adapter that can support it then tell us your results.
by pjc123 » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:51 pm
nathansuchy wrote:Buying a nonwireless keyboard could help but a self powered usb hub is a essential. I have a self powered usb hub with 10 ports that i plug all of my devices into then into the pi and my actual pi unit has it's own 5V|1A adapter so power is never an issue for me. When you have repeating keys power could be the issue, Does your rasppi get exactly 5v|1a if not buy an adapter that can support it then tell us your results.

That's true, there always is the hub option, but a lot of people have as many troubles getting things to work with hubs as they do with wireless keyboards. I have to agree with getting a wired keyboard and mouse, at least to start with; one less thing to troubleshoot.
by kkid » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:39 pm
SO I can buy a self-powered USB hub and this may solve my issue as well as prevent issues with any other devices I may use in the future?

I would prefer buying a hub instead of a new keyboard as I can always use the hub for other things in the future, it may come in handy. A keyboard most likely won't as I already have one.
by 6677 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:42 pm
I think the issue seems to be to do with the dongle for the keyboard not power. Apparently the dongle only draws 40mA so is well within the bounds of the 100mA the pi can provide. Besides, one of my mates has this keyboard and it doesnt work with his pi on his powered hub. I have it and it doesnt work on my pi but I dont have a powered hub (ordered one on amazon a few minutes ago though, as well as another keyboard).

When you plug it into windows and go into the device manager it appears as a "Microsoft Wireless Transceiver" as well as the mouse and the keyboard. My old wireless keyboard appeared as a USB hub and then 2 separate radios. It may be that the pi can't handle "transceiver" in the same way. My dads mac mini doesnt seem to handle this mouse/keyboard combo very well either unless you plug it in after logging in and then download the driver for it, might well be that someone has to make one for the pi. Linux mint 11 and 13 both seem to handle it fine though.

Get on amazon and just buy a cheap keyboard. I just got a logitech K120 at a reduced price which is supposedly an alright keyboard, sadly wired but I cant spare much money right now.
by Pete6 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:47 pm
Without actually seeing your problem, there is no guarantee but what you initially wrote described almost exactly the problem I encountered.

Providing good power to the Pi is essential to its good working and in my case this fixed the problem.

I played around with this today and when I went back to my old power setup powering the Pi via the micro-USB and connecting either keyboard to the on-board USB ports caused the problem to return.

Using a powered hub and powering the Pi from this via the USB ports and then connecting the wireless keyboard dongle to the hub worked fine. As I said earlier I have now run this setup with both Rasbian and OpenElec OSs and both work well with the above power setup.
by canibalimao » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:05 pm
I had the same problem as you with my logitech k400 and on the newer version of raspbian I can't start the OS at all if the keyboard receiver was plugged in on the boot.
The solution for both problems was simple: boot the RPi with the receiver off and, at the moment of log in, plug the receiver in and now it work fine.

Try this and see if it helps.
by efflandt » Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:18 pm
Does nobody read the Troubleshooting forum and first sticky there (with a link)?

A common solution for dropped or sticky keys or dropped mouse clicks is to add dwc_otg.speed=1 to the end of the line in /boot/cmdline.txt. But that has to remain one long line (make sure it does not wordwrap). The problem is apparently sensing key down and key up events (split transactions) depending upon what all you have connected to USB and how it is connected.

Note that this forces USB 1.1 which may slow networking and external USB flash or disk access, but at least it fixes dropped or repeated keys that make it difficult to blindly enter passwords with no feedback.

That fixed those issues with my older Logitech di Novo Edge wireless keyboard/mousepad and new K400. I don't know if that is a hardware or software issue, but hopefully they will eventually come up with a fix that does not require slowing down USB.
by rgvraspi » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:02 pm
I can confirm what efflandt is saying. The dwc_otg.speed=1 fix solved my problem with my Logitech MK320 although in my case I think it was made worse because I was also using an EDIMAX Wireless USB adapter. It doesn't seem to have affected the internet although the green light now flashes next to my EDIMAX wireless adapter on my Belkin USB HUB when it's in this mode. I guess the EDIMAX isn't happy to have it's speed reduced even though it works.
by Keith A » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:38 am
Hello, Purchased Microsoft 3000 keyboard for PI 512 works fine except for a number of keys need to be re-set, request help where does one find information on how to re - map keyboard for the Pi.
The board is currently default for Microsoft W7 - W8.
I love these Comfort Curve boards and really do need to fix this one any help appreciated....
by Jim Manley » Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:35 am
Keith A wrote:Hello, Purchased Microsoft 3000 keyboard for PI 512 works fine except for a number of keys need to be re-set, request help where does one find information on how to re - map keyboard for the Pi.

When raspi-config runs on the first boot-up (or you can run it via sudo from the command line), you get to configure for your keyboard and choose your locale (e.g., language and time zone). Details for raspi-config are on the eLinux Pi wiki at:

http://elinux.org/RPi_raspi-config
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by Keith A » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:13 am
Keith A wrote:Hello, Purchased Microsoft 3000 keyboard for PI 512 works fine except for a number of keys need to be re-set, request help where does one find information on how to re - map keyboard for the Pi.
Thanks Jim for the help, problem still exists, it is a common Microsoft keyboard so I presume there is a fix.
I have another problem now, no Idea how to clear the incorrect settings I have been experimenting with..
by coolcamper55 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:42 pm
There is a glitch in some of the images, I had the same problem on my keyboard and took it back and replaced it. Still the same issue. Its on the approved list and its wireless.
Unfortunately my PC crashed and had to rebuild so lost my bookmarks in which I had stored the url.

Google might be the answer for sticky keys on Raspberry pi
In the meantime if I can find the link I will post
by Pete6 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:23 am
I agree with efflandt . I read the aforementioned thread BUT, my estimation was that I was looking at a hardware problem and with my system this proved to be the case.
by Keith A » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:00 am
Further to problem mapping Microsoft Keyboard (wired) to Raspberry pi , the board is recognized
but here's what I am getting :- Instead of a s d f g h j k l for example I am getting :-
( LX Terminal read out) = a o e u i d h t n etc etc
How do I re- map bearing in mind it is very hard to do anything with the Terminal with a mal-functioning
key board, I noted the Microsoft Keyboard 3000 is listed as compatible with the PI , it is but now I have this config problem.
I have no idea what is going on here hopefully someone can help .
thank you
by canibalimao » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:47 pm
I think your problem is the locale you selected. It seems to be the Dvorak layout: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dvorak_Simplified_Keyboard

Try to acess to the RPi via SSH, run "raspi-config" and change it to a "normal" keymap.
by 6677 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:09 pm
I just tried the login and then plug in keyboard/mouse dongle thing today. Microsoft Wireless Keyboard 3000. Sticky keys still. Mouse movement worked fairly reliably (slight bit of jitter but usable) but then the click buttons were effected by the same sticky keys thing and it seems quake3 doesn't recognise it yet does recognise a plain cheapy dell wired mouse.

According to data I found online the dongle only draws 40mA so it cant be a power issue.