Configuring WiFi on Maplin RPi

5 posts
by HNGresley » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:32 am
Hi. I have the Maplin Raspberry Pi kit (which includes keyboard, mouse, WiFi dongle etc.). When I open the icon on the GUI 'Configure WiFi', and fill in the required fields for WPA2 - Personal, I find that it will not connect. If I then go to 'edit' and look again at the Network Config window, it shows that the WPA key is twice as long as the one I had typed in. If I re-type it and re-save, the same thing happens again. Everything else is fine - the correct SSID and DSSID are shown, but there is no ip address shown.
Please could anyone help me with this, as I do need to be able to go on the internet?
Many thanks,
Stuart.
by HNGresley » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:29 am
Just one more thing - I have a B.T. router....could that be a problem here?
Thanks.
Stuart.
by Jim JKla » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:43 am
Don't dispair it will work if BT hubs had an issue we would know by now and nobody has that flagged.

It may be a settings thing in the hub. You can safely bet someone is looking at it. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick
by HNGresley » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:41 am
Hey thanks. I have re-set my B.T. router to 'No security' and the Pi's WiFi works fine, but it won't work with any security I apply to the router. Is there any way of making it work with some kind of security that you know of?
Thanks again.
Stuart.
by Jim JKla » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:19 am
There should be a way try contacting BT and check out the BT forum there may be something posted there. If you have the option to run the RPi wired to your router you can put the wireless security back on.

I don't know why this worked but I have seen it happen with a D-Link router activate a wireless link while connected to the router with a hard link (Ethernet cable) connected. once it looks like the wireless is running disconnect the cable link and see what happens. (Note my experience was with a Windows XP Notebook not a Linux RPi) but there's no harm in trying. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick