StartX blank screen problem (solved)

36 posts   Page 2 of 2   1, 2
by benzeman » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:43 pm
What speed (also known as class - the number in the circle) SD cards are you using? Try to get hold of class 6 or 4 - they seem to be the most reliable. Is there anything else at all unusual about your setup? (wireless/backlit keyboard/mouse, etc).
by 7ewis » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:58 pm
What SD card would you suggest then?

I would want one that's around 8GB, or maybe a bit more.

My setup isn't exactly unusual, just a BlackBerry charger for power (tried Apple too!), connected to 50" LG TV via HDMI cable, connected to Router via Ethernet cable. The mouse/keyboard is wireless but I don't see how that would make a difference, and I tried doing it via SSH too so that would eliminate the wireless adapter using too much power or whatever you may be thinking.

Haven't really used the mouse as I can't do anything with it yet, and the keyboard isn't backlit or anything it doesn't have any lights at all just a basic keyboard, possibly Logitech but I can't remember at the moment.

Once I have eliminated the SD card problem, if I buy a new one. What else could there be that is affecting it?
Raspberry Pi - Model B (512MB)
by aTao » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:58 pm
7ewis wrote:Okay thank you!

One of my neighbours has invited my family around later for some drinks, and he has 2 raspberry pi's so he said he'll have a look at it for me. He works with computers for his job so hopefully he'll be able to give me some advice.

I'll let you know.

If its being a pain, your neighbour (well his RPi to be precise) is your best bet.
In the mean time, just for laughs... try GPU firmware upgrade, see here: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=188860&sid=a7b4b38847ce242c3e5ea28365a8e8a8#p188860
>)))'><'(((<
by madman_xxx » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:38 am
Hmmm...

Instead of ruuning X directly, have anyone tried this (on Raspbian)?
Code: Select all
sudo service lightdm start

This will start the desktop manager instead of X.
by Jim JKla » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:00 am
While you are learning I would get two 4gGb SD cards once you are confident then see about a larger card. Given that scenario if by then you are running on a good powered hub why not stick with the 4Gb SD and get a big USB stick you only need minimalist stuff on the SD and use the Stick for your main file system storage.

A couple of smaller SD cards will at least allways leave you with hopefully one working. :)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick
by 7ewis » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:03 pm
I will try all of the things above, thanks!

How would I use 2 SD cards though? You mean like have one OS on one, another on a different card or something? I'm starting to think my SD cards are too old, so I want to just buy a new one that has been proven to work, just in case!

I got a 64GB USB stick for Christmas, so I guess that would probably be enough ;)

But the price difference between 4GB/8GB/16GB seems to be very small, so I may as well just go for a bigger one?
by Jim JKla » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:27 pm
If you have old 4 and 2 gig cards use them to experiment. If you want to be able to return them to original state use something like win32diskimage to make an image file.

You won't be able to load much on a 2G but it will hold a boot/setup that will prime your USB stick.

Cost per Gig is cheaper on bigger SD cards but I put a copy of R Razor on a salvaged 1gig £1 BLUBOX SD card no class the only readable thing on it is Made in Korea. :D
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

by 7ewis » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:50 pm
Haha I have other cards, but none of them work with Raspbian, which is why I have bought a new one.

Raspbmc works on the other cards though :)
by Jim JKla » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:50 pm
I can recomend that R Razor as a novelty. ;)

by 1dwb » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:45 pm
So at long last I have icons and a start bar showing on my desktop. I am assuming one, many (or none!) of the following actions I took fixed the problem. I'll leave it to others more experienced to speculate which :-)

Re-imaged existing SD card, using a different mirror source. Ensured 'safely remove hardware' option within windows used before 'unplugging' card.

Selected 'Expand root partition to fill SD card' in Raspi-Config splash screen and then rebooted. (did not realise previously that option had to be selected rather than just showing on the display before exiting).

Ran sudo apt-get update and sudo apt-get upgrade. (this had previously failed with a reading package update error - but worked this time). Rebooted.

Logged in, ran 'Startx' and hey presto! Full graphical desktop present and working.
by Lanciastratos77 » Fri May 31, 2013 2:24 pm
I have this error, i dont know what is causing it but it is sure annoying