CUPS Problem

13 posts
by RockMachine » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:37 am
I configure my Raspberry Pi as a print server with CUPS and work good only with light files( .docx for example), but when I try to print "big" file such as PDF or jpeg pictures system don't work. Have you got suggest?

Thanks and sorry for my poor english
by Jim JKla » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:05 am
Wow you got it to work at all. ;)

Congratulations there are a lot of people who have not even got their printer to twitch let alone prit something.

However bare with us someone will have it sussed even if it's just a comment that it won't work. :D

Have a look here a search for CUPS will lead you to a few articles http://elinux.org/RPi_Hub

PS don't worry about poor Englis post any findings on the wiki there will be plenty of us geeks willig to correct it for you. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick
by RockMachine » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:02 pm
Jim JKla wrote:Wow you got it to work at all. ;)

Congratulations there are a lot of people who have not even got their printer to twitch let alone prit something.

However bare with us someone will have it sussed even if it's just a comment that it won't work. :D

Have a look here a search for CUPS will lead you to a few articles http://elinux.org/RPi_Hub

PS don't worry about poor Englis post any findings on the wiki there will be plenty of us geeks willig to correct it for you. ;)

Sorry but I don't understand your post... Please can you make me a simple summery?
Thanks
by Jim JKla » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:54 pm
Lots of other people have tried and failed.

Follow the link that will take you to the Wiki then put CUPS in the search and you will find help.

If you get it to work post in the Wiki and Geeks like me will correct any stray English errors. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

by RockMachine » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:04 pm
Perfect! Thank you very much! :D
by Jim JKla » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:07 pm
Nothing wrong in posting in your native language the site and the wiki are multi lingual ;)

by msareen » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:55 am
Same things is happening with me too,
"PDF not printing, even notepad files are not printing from windows." (saw the cups logs, but they were of no use)

but
Docx or calc files are printing fine, even test page from windows and cups are working fine.

Is there is any kind of memory issue or arm architecture issue ? I am still looking for solution. let you guys know if I found one.

Regards
Manasvi Sareen
by emptybee » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:13 am
Same problem here :cry: I can print a test page from windows absolutely fine but if I try and print a photo from Lightroom the windows machine says its sent but nothing shows up on the cups website log and the printer doesn't move.

I have a Canon IX4000 installed in cups with a raw driver and then when I connected in windows it asked (and I installed) the driver on that side as I was told this would reduce the loading on the Pi. Is this what you have done too and could this be the cause of the problem or is it something bigger?

Please let me know if you find a solution to this anywhere,

Thanks,

emptybee
by chemirocha » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:09 pm
Another person looking for a solution. I have a Canon iP5300 connected to the USB port on an RPi with CUPS installed. When printing from Windows, test pages and word docs all print fine. Converting the doc file to pdf and trying to print from Adobe Reader does not work and I get an error in the Windows event log:

Code: Select all
The document test.pdf, owned by xxx, failed to print on printer \\RPISERVER\Canon_iP5300. Try to print the document again, or restart the print spooler.
Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in bytes: 196608. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document: 1. Number of pages printed: 0. Client computer: \\xxx. Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 0. The operation completed successfully.

Nothing in the CUPS logs, almost as if the print doesn't even get to the queue. I'm not a linux guy so I'm a bit out of my depth with this. Maybe there is another log that would tell me how far the print request got?

I have a synology NAS that can handle pdf output to this printer so it is possible. I wonder if it is something to do with colour profiles or something else missing on the RPi side.
by FTrevorGowen » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:24 pm
FWIW I've managed to get CUPS working for two printer types - an old Canon BJC-250 via a USB-parallel port adaptor and a wireless networked HP Deskjet 3050. A "screenshot-based" summary of what I did can be found at http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... yCUPS.html (There is also a link to this in the wiki).
Mainly running "Wheezy Raspbian" on seven Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, 2xB+ and an A+). Notes about them begin at http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virginmedia.com/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by chemirocha » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:13 pm
Well, it may not help the OP but I managed to get PDFs being printed by going on the Advanced tab in the printer properties in Windows-7 and de-selecting "Enable advanced printing features". I have no idea what this does but everything seems to work :lol:

I think it must be something to do with the format of the data (EMF = extended meta-file and Windows specific I think) that adobe reader uses when printing, when it should be using RAW, but I can't find any way of configuring that - in printer properties -> Advanced -> Print Processor I have already selected RAW as the default but adobe reader seems to ignore it.
by jasonblewis » Thu May 01, 2014 4:37 am
I was also affected by this problem. Jobs printed from a Windows machine to Cups PDF on a linux box would silently fail, but only for some applications not others.

The solution for me was to disable "Enable advanced printing features" on the Printer Properties/Advanced page of the printer in question in Windows.
by nartb » Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:46 pm
So I've installed CUPS on my Raspberry Pi with an HP Laserjet 1320 series USB printer attached. Printing from the Raspberry pi works just fine but I intended to use this as a Google Butt Print server. Printing a PDF from my other computer over GCP results in an immediate blank sheet printed followed by one with an error code as shown below.

Code: Select all
ERROR:
invalidaccess
OFFENDING COMMAND:
filter
STACK:
/SubFileDecode
endstream
--nostringval--
--nostringval--
false

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?