image for headless server setup out of the box?

14 posts
by nobbit » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:30 pm
I should probably ask this before spending money on extra leads and cables...

Since the first thing I'm gonna do with my Pi is to set up an ssh server and make sure it starts at boot up, is there an image of raspbian out there that already has this tweak? If I could just plug it into my router and access it from another computer that would be super sweet. I don't really need X to navigate anyway.
by rickseiden » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:54 pm
SSH is enabled by default in the latest and greatest Raspian build. If you can get the IP address of your pi from your router, you should be good to go.

Happy Holidays!
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
by nobbit » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:58 pm
Awesomeness!

Happy Holidays to you too :)
by davekimble » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:21 am
The trouble is, if you do the first boot headless via SSH, it doesn't take you to the first-time-boot menu to do all that useful configuration stuff. Is there a way to call that up from the command line ?

I want to use VNC, and I know how to do it thanks to http://www.penguintutor.com/linux/tightvncserver, but why isn't that installed in the distro and started automatically too ?

While we are about it, why isn't samba in there too ? And a GUI for it like Ubuntu's Samba Shares ?

An extended first-time-boot menu to cater for these options would enable fine tuning.
Not everyone's idea of R-Pi obviously, but a wheezy-raspbian-headless.img would have a lot of takers, I reckon.
by Jim JKla » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:53 am
Noob friendly instructions in the wiki here.

http://elinux.org/RPi_A_Method_for_ssh_blind_login ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick
by rickseiden » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:16 am
davekimble wrote:The trouble is, if you do the first boot headless via SSH, it doesn't take you to the first-time-boot menu to do all that useful configuration stuff. Is there a way to call that up from the command line ?

Code: Select all
sudo raspi-config

if memory serves.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
by rurwin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:26 am
I've just checked -- raspi-config does work over ssh.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by Jim JKla » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:26 am
Yes as reported here http://elinux.org/RPi_A_Method_for_ssh_blind_login at the bottom of the page about three months ago :mrgreen:
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick
by rurwin » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:29 pm
I've just checked -- raspi-config still works over ssh.

:mrgreen:
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by davekimble » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:27 am
Thanks for "raspi-config".

Any support for the other ideas ?
by rurwin » Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:39 am
I'm surprised Samba isn't installed; I would guess most people would want it.

VNC is a bad idea. The way VNC works is to take very frequent snapshots of the screen and send them over the network. With a contended USB bus and non-accelerated graphics it will always be very slow. The better way is to install an X-Server on your PC and use ssh tunnelling to put the windows on your PC screen. That way you don't even need to run X on the RaspPi.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by rickseiden » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:15 pm
rurwin wrote:The better way is to install an X-Server on your PC and use ssh tunnelling to put the windows on your PC screen. That way you don't even need to run X on the RaspPi.

I use MobaXterm, an SSH client with a built in X-Server, among other things. Lets me do just what you're talking about without the overhead of CYGWIN.
by bgirardot » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:46 pm
I second the suggestion for mobaXterm if you want to run a gui application on a remote windows box. It is also a good ssh/sftp client as well.

Here is detailed info for how to use it with the RPi:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=21610
by Dave Kimble » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:08 pm
I've just downloaded MobaXterm onto Win7 and connected to Pi OK.
$ login: pi - OK
$ sudo raspi-config - OK
$ lxsession& - OK
Copy-paste works both ways OK.
Brilliant ! Thanks for that.