Is it possible to use Pi for commercial purposes?

17 posts
by biz123 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:47 pm
Raspberry Pi looks like it can be the base of some innovative new commercial products. Is it possible to make a prototype using Pi (while taking off parts you don't need and adding parts you do) and then show the prototype and schematics to a manufacture who can mass produce it for you? Relying on existing Pi distributors doesn't look like a good option because you need a modified version of Pi and want as much supply as possible.

If that is the case, all your guys' hobby projects can turn into products you can sell and change the world with!
by jamesh » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:22 pm
Yes, but the difficulty would in persuading Broadcom to sell you chips in the quantities you need (esp. if its a low number). What might be better is just building the Pi in to your product. Probably cheaper too.
by biz123 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:48 pm
jamesh wrote:Yes, but the difficulty would in persuading Broadcom to sell you chips in the quantities you need (esp. if its a low number). What might be better is just building the Pi in to your product. Probably cheaper too.

Would it be possible to get Pi, in large quantities without certain superfluous parts? Such as the Ethernet and USB hub for example.
by ghans » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:52 pm
Model A will come without Hub and Ethernet.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by jamesh » Mon Dec 24, 2012 8:53 pm
biz123 wrote:
jamesh wrote:Yes, but the difficulty would in persuading Broadcom to sell you chips in the quantities you need (esp. if its a low number). What might be better is just building the Pi in to your product. Probably cheaper too.

Would it be possible to get Pi, in large quantities without certain superfluous parts? Such as the Ethernet and USB hub for example.

What do you regard as a large quantity?
by biz123 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:07 pm
jamesh wrote:
biz123 wrote:

What do you regard as a large quantity?
around 1,000 and up.
by jamesh » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:07 pm
The problem would be that to Broadcom that is a very small quantities as they are used to dealing with multi million orders, so difficult to buy the chip by itself. Raspi's on the other hand, 1k ought to be feasible.
by biz123 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:18 pm
jamesh wrote:The problem would be that to Broadcom that is a very small quantities as they are used to dealing with multi million orders, so difficult to buy the chip by itself. Raspi's on the other hand, 1k ought to be feasible.

Hmmm. Would it then be possible to buy 1000 Pi boards without certain parts?
by malakai » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:54 pm
I would think it would cost them more to skip components as they would have to have manual intervention which slows down productivity could interfere with quality control and the likes. At it's price point considering you would be way under buying 1k of something else what are you saving.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by biz123 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:48 pm
Would Raspberry frown up using the Pi for commercial purposes? Because if a commercial product gets popular and it is based off Pi, it will take away supply availibility from Pi distributors.

Perhaps there can be a tax for commercial projects. That way, enterprising entrepreneurs wouldn't have to be worried about using Pi as the heart of their product. Not to mention, it would be the right thing to do!
by malakai » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:26 am
I would doubt it I would also think they have a mechanism in place to ensure educators get first rights and the public will get whats left over. I am only guessing at this and as production continues I would also believe they will produce a higher volume as time goes on especially if interest continues to grow.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by aTao » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:30 am
biz123 wrote:
Perhaps there can be a tax for commercial projects. That way, enterprising entrepreneurs wouldn't have to be worried about using Pi as the heart of their product. Not to mention, it would be the right thing to do!

I'm sure I read that the Foundation were going to do "buy one, get One free" for education.
>)))'><'(((<
by biz123 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 1:55 am
Okay, I found this in the "Info" at the top right hand corner...

"If you are using the Raspberry Pi Marks commercially (that is, you charge for products or services) the Raspberry Pi Foundation would appreciate a charitable donation and reserves the right to charge a royalty, or impose further conditions."

I would like to make a commercial product with Pi and would be interested to know if some sort of agreement can be made with Raspberry. I'm sure other people would like to commercialize their Pi projects as well.
by liz » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:06 am
Then you need to email somebody at the Foundation!
by biz123 » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:15 am
liz wrote:Then you need to email somebody at the Foundation!

Okay, will do Liz.
by Jim Manley » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:44 pm
liz wrote:Then you need to email somebody at the Foundation!

Well, it's good to know that somebody@raspberrypi.org is finally in charge of that outfit, although I have a sneaking suspicion who receives all of the e-mail sent to such generic addresses there ... Mooncake, of course! :D

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!
by adlambert » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:05 pm
aTao wrote:I'm sure I read that the Foundation were going to do "buy one, get One free" for education.

I think that might have been "buy one, donate one".