Normally closed door bell replacement?

5 posts
by abishur » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:14 pm
Let me start off by saying that I know how doorbells work, that they're normally open, but I have some fun ideas I want to play around with that require a normally closed doorbell button that could handle up to about an amp. In the end it doesn't have to be an official doorbell button, just one that would fit in the same place as one. Does anyone know of a good option? Or in the worst case scenario, does anyone know of a place I could get them to make it for me custom?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by 6h05tD4t4 » Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:00 pm
I prefer no bell and a sign saying 'press door bell for attention' - at least that's what I go for.
by aTao » Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:08 pm
Without digging around for a list of options for you to choose one that is aesthetically pleasing...
Why not use a relay? coil is permanently energised via current limit, you push a normally open doorbell switch to short out the coil, use normally closed contacts on the relay.

But... a normally closed switch carrying an amp??? owch?
>)))'><'(((<
by abishur » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:28 pm
aTao wrote:Without digging around for a list of options for you to choose one that is aesthetically pleasing...
Why not use a relay? coil is permanently energised via current limit, you push a normally open doorbell switch to short out the coil, use normally closed contacts on the relay.

But... a normally closed switch carrying an amp??? owch?

That's the direction I was going as well after thinking about it for a while ;-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
by mahjongg » Tue Dec 25, 2012 4:37 pm
Replace the actual bell with a relay, energize the relay and let the relay open a contact.

Only add a bridge rectifier, and an elco so the the relay is energized with DC or the relay will start to chatter.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator