halo 1?

14 posts
by sdd » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:01 pm
I read somewhere that the pi runs with about xbox 1 preformance. so I started wondering if halo 1 (pc port) would run on a pi. thereticly, supposing direct x, and being for windows wern't a problem
by sdd » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:13 pm
sorry let me frase this differently, would it be possible to make something that would act like WINE in that it would point direct x/windows calls to the pi vertion, thus allowing halo to run? no halo code touched
by ghans » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:22 pm
Well , try to convince CodeWeavers that this project is worth
considering :roll: ... ROFL.
Sorry , but please conduct a forum search , this has nothing
to do with Halo itself and applies to many other games - therefore has
been already discussed to death.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by CPOKashue » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:25 pm
There has been successful windows VM creation on the Pi. The problem is that it takes almost all of the Pi's juice to do it, leaving precious little oomph left over for gaming. A good rule of thumb is that the requirements of any game at least double if emulation is taken into account. That's why getting Pi SNES emulators so lean that they can run games AND have sound AND not lag is such a big deal.

That said, if a native linux source for Halo was available it probably still wouldn't look too great, I don't think the Pi's GPU/limited video API could do all the shaders and whatnot Halo relies on. But there are a lot of smart people out there right now trying to prove me wrong ;)
by malakai » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:26 pm
The first question would be what does "X" game need to run so this applies to anything.

Google gamename system requirements

Halo in this case needs a 733MHz processor the Pi at best comes in around 300MHz so even if you patched something up it would never get to a playable speed.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by 6677 » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:27 pm
in no way would that be possible. The xbox was x86, the PC version of halo is of course for windows so is again x86 The pi is ARM. Halo is compiled to x86 native code so would never run on ARM without emulation. So far x86 emulation on modern x86 hardware is still really slow, let alone on the pi.

In theory the source for the mac version may be possible to port to the pi but only macsoft have the mac source and even then they dont have permission to do anything with it. The pi barely runs quake 3, halo is still old but still far more hardware intensive.
by CPOKashue » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:34 pm
Since we're on the topic...

Lack of a common PC direct-draw API is actually the biggest bottleneck in Pi gaming right now, and one it shares with many mobile devices. That's one of the reasons GPU-accelerated Android would be a huge boon to Pi gaming. This problem can be solved on PCs... If you played FPS games in the late 90s or early 2000s, you might remember programs like WickedGL, which was a "wrapper" that emulated the 3DFX Glide API under OpenGL. Something like that might be possible on the Pi, but again, when you use your GPU to emulate another GPU, you're automatically shutting off a good-sized chunk of it.

I personally would really like to see a Pi port of Myth 2. I know there was a desktop linux port of it, and I know the source was released to a fan group called Project Magma, so there may be hope there. I'm pretty sure the Pi could run Myth, in software if nothing else.
by sdd » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:57 pm
wow. that was fast. what if it was a one time thing like it would recognize all the calls to direct x and windows and then save the code that it got after words wile deleting the origanal vertion (so you arn't making a copy of it). then decompile and recompile to arm. if the user never saw any of the scource code would that be legal? anyway I said halo because if it could do that it could do alot of other stuff too. it would be a starting piont. also what search terms would you even use to search for that?
by ghans » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:13 pm
qemu-user and wine.
I'm not sure , but i believe one forum user got it working.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org
by 6677 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:41 am
Any recompilation of Halo CE is strictly against the license terms. It also would give very platform specific code not the original source. You NEED the original source to even get started. That or make a total conversion for quake 2 or 3 or something.
by sdd » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:27 pm
well thats lame. shouldn't microsoft have made it open scource by now? to prevent it from becomeing abandon ware? well I guess in a way, microsoft is a little evil.
by ghans » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:51 pm
Pff , there is no such thing like abandonware.
Just wait for the next copyright bill , which will technically copyright
things for eternity - to conserve our culture for future generations
because there always will be a commercial incentive to do so :twisted:

ghans
by jamesh » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:53 pm
sdd wrote:well thats lame. shouldn't microsoft have made it open scource by now? to prevent it from becomeing abandon ware? well I guess in a way, microsoft is a little evil.

It's Microsoft's property, they can do what they like with it. Nothing evil in that.
by 6677 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:16 pm
sdd wrote:shouldn't microsoft have made it open scource by now?

You'll be hard pressed to find any examples of that ever happening.

The closest would probably be id software. Every time they make a new version of their engine they open source the source to the old engine. They don't however open source the game content. The id tech engine makes a very clear distinction between the engine itself and the game content.

This is seen the most clearly with quake 3, id tech 3, openarena and ioquake 3. Quake 3 uses the id tech 3 game engine. Openarena uses the ioquake3 engine. ioquake3 is a fork of the id tech 3 engine and it is so compatible that you can load the quake 3 content on ioquake3 or the openarena content on the id tech 3 engines.

Other than that, it was mentioned that when minecraft sales eventually stop (I think its got tonnes of steam left yet) it might well be released as open source software.

I can't think of any other examples of a company that has ever done what you want.

Technically halo is already abandonware. The mac version recieved the last patch in 2006, other versions even earlier. The 360 re-release is the one they want you to play.

If you desperately want halo on the pi, well, only 1 thing you can do and that would be to clone it. Again, id tech 2 or id tech 3 might be good places to start. But it certainly isnt an easy job to do 1 level even.