how to boot RPI without mouse/keyboard

16 posts
by bws » Sat Dec 22, 2012 1:28 pm
hey

as subject says how do i boot up the RPI without having to have a keyboard and mouse installed on it ?

i am asking so that you can turn on RPI and then just control it via a terminal so i dont have a keyboard and mouse laying around that i don't use and so i can use the two USB host conc. to something else
by Mobius » Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:21 pm
If you turn SSH on using raspi-config, then you can log into your pi from another computer using something like puTTY and either an ethernet cable or a wireless USB device. The initial setup of the pi requires a keyboard attached to it but after that you can control it from your other computer. This assumes that the ethernet cable or wireless is connected to the same network as your PC.
by rickseiden » Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:19 pm
Mobius wrote:If you turn SSH on using raspi-config, then you can log into your pi from another computer using something like puTTY and either an ethernet cable or a wireless USB device. The initial setup of the pi requires a keyboard attached to it but after that you can control it from your other computer. This assumes that the ethernet cable or wireless is connected to the same network as your PC.

I thought SSH was enabled by default, and all you need to know is the IP address your Pi gets on first boot, which you can get from your router. I've never used a keybaord/mouse/monitor to configure my Pi on first boot. Always go the "get the IP from the router, and ssh in" method. Always worked.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary, and those that don't.
by bws » Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:47 pm
Mobius wrote:The initial setup of the pi requires a keyboard attached to it

okey just to be sure, do you mean that the RPI always needs a keyboard every time it boots up ? or that that you need a keyboard the first time to setup function and after you don't have to connect a keyboard to the RPI ?

i am asking because at the moment i have to have a keyboard attached to the RPI before it will boot up, i can already connect a terminal via SSH.
by xtapa » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:12 am
I'm running RPi without kbd/mouse/monitor.
Just ssh in via ethernet.
by efflandt » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:30 am
You should not need a keyboard attached to boot an RPi, in fact recent updates (dist-upgrade) seem to have broken something, so USB and ethernet is totally disrupted (inoperative) if I boot with a fairly generic Dell wired keyboard. Although, wireless keyboards I have still work.

Following is an example of a Pi booted without keyboard. The only thing connected to USB is mini-WiFi (I called it rpi10 because it is my only class 10 SD at the moment):
Code: Select all
efflandt@XPS8100-1204:~$ ssh rpi10
Linux rpi10 3.2.27+ #307 PREEMPT Mon Nov 26 23:22:29 GMT 2012 armv6l

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Fri Dec 21 04:30:40 2012 from xps8100-1204.local
efflandt@rpi10 ~ $ lsusb
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0424:9512 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0424:ec00 Standard Microsystems Corp.
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:8176 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8188CUS 802.11n WLAN Adapter
efflandt@rpi10 ~ $ uptime
 19:32:02 up 2 days, 18:02,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.01, 0.05
by Joe Schmoe » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:39 am
Heh heh. I don't think anyone is saying that you can't boot it w/o mouse/keyboard.
Obviously, you can always apply power and something will happen.

The question is - can you interact with it once it has booted up?
And, can you do it without ever having attached the aforementioned mouse and keyboard?

Note that if you can access it via serial, then the answer to both of these questions is "yes".

If not, and you plan on accessing it via the network (e.g., "ssh"), then the answer is "maybe".
Like so much of Linux these days, the attempts to make it suitable for
dumb idiots are making it much harder for someone who wants to do
something the designers never anticipated.
by bws » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:23 am
Okey so if the RPI normally will boot up without a keyboard/mouse then i have and error on my RPI somehow. Because i can only make the RPI boot up if there is and keyboard and mouse plugged on ! So can some explain what seems to be my problem ?
by Joe Schmoe » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:55 am
Well, the next question that comes to mind is: If you don't have a keyboard/mouse connected - and you can't access it by the network - how do you know that it didn't boot?

Note: This is a straight question. I'm not implying that you don't or can't know.
by Dweeber » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:12 am
I have one of the USB Serial cables from Adafruit which I use to configure a new Pi from scratch when I need to. Works pretty good. One of my RPi is attached to an Adafruit Pi Platter which I used for playing with wiring, so I have access to the GPIO all the time there and can use the serial cable anytime I need it. So I build new SDCard setups on that for at least long enough to get the WiFi adapter working and then can transfer it to another device.

None of my RPi's are Ethernet connected though, I use a WiFi dongle at all times headless, no keyboard or mouse. One unit is near the large screen TV so I have it connected to the HDMI port there... but still not keyboard.

If you can at least connect to a monitor, you should be able to see where the boot process goes though.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com
by bws » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:08 am
Joe Schmoe wrote:Well, the next question that comes to mind is: If you don't have a keyboard/mouse connected - and you can't access it by the network - how do you know that it didn't boot?

Note: This is a straight question. I'm not implying that you don't or can't know.

Sry left out information i see, my RPI is also connected to my TV via the HDMI port and when i havn't got the keyboard and mouse plugged in, no boot screen comes up on the TV, so this is why i am a bit lost :?
by aTao » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:35 am
Surely the question should not be "can I boot my RPi without keyboard?" but "can I boot my OS without keyboard?"
To answer that we would need to know what OS is on the SD card you use (and possibly how its configured)

Certainly the RPi that I have has never directly seen a keyboard (since I got it), I only connect via ssh over network.
>)))'><'(((<
by bws » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:31 pm
aTao wrote:Surely the question should not be "can I boot my RPi without keyboard?" but "can I boot my OS without keyboard?"
To answer that we would need to know what OS is on the SD card you use (and possibly how its configured)

Certainly the RPi that I have has never directly seen a keyboard (since I got it), I only connect via ssh over network.

okey my OS is the Raspbian “wheezy” image, but not the newest one
by Joe Schmoe » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:34 pm
bws wrote:
Joe Schmoe wrote:Well, the next question that comes to mind is: If you don't have a keyboard/mouse connected - and you can't access it by the network - how do you know that it didn't boot?

Sry left out information i see, my RPI is also connected to my TV via the HDMI port and when i havn't got the keyboard and mouse plugged in, no boot screen comes up on the TV, so this is why i am a bit lost :?

OK. I just assumed that keyboard/mouse/video all went together (and that you didn't have any of them). That's usually what people mean when they say they don't have any one of these (i.e., they usually mean they don't have any of them).
by Rashol » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:24 pm
I could still use some help on how to ssh into my pi. I dont have a keyboard so im kinda stuck at the config screen of my raspbian wheezy build. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.
by pluggy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:47 am
The SSH is enabled by default so even with the raspi-config screen running you can ssh in. You will need the Pi's IP address, which is ordinarily displayed on subsequent boots. You could interrogate the router to see what addresses it has doled out or use something like nmap http://nmap.org/ to find it.

You didn't get nmap from me...... (in case you live in some part of the world where such things are frowned upon).

If you're using that Redmond OS I can't quite remember the name of you can use putty to ssh in, Linux (and mac I think) has ssh biult in.
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......