Im new...What will it do

3 posts
by brady » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:08 pm
I am wondering if this is a better way than having my pc sat next to my TV as a use for BBCi player etc.
Will this marvelous credit card do this.

I want to be able to access websites a watch the videos available on there?

For example if i go to www.lds.org and choose a video to watch will it play it?
Also can I use it in my home network; IE my other computer in my study has all my music on, can i use the raspberry Pi to access my music and thusly play it straight through to my TV??

Any help would be welcomed as im anxious to get one but not sure it'll do what i want.

Many Thanks, Brady
by malakai » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:20 pm
Video yes but web video has limits such as Flash videos only some work. Stream music from one PC to the Pi and play music through the TV the Pi is connected to yes it can even do many video formats from that PC it can browse the web but it is older technology so it is a bit slow improvements are coming many people post here on the forum from their Pi's this is a try it and see what you think sort of thing. Ultimately it has the capabilities of your PC but can be slow in comparison if you don't know for sure what format the videos on a site has you won't know until you browse there on the PI.

Some sites actually mix video formats or have more than one available but the majority if it won't play a vid found on a site it won't play any from there.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)
by ghans » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:25 pm
Flash content does not work , but many websites are pushing
for HTML5 video already , and that has a real chance of working
in the future (but does not do currently).

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org