Egham/Staines - 20th January 2013 - 2:00pm - 5:00pm

33 posts   Page 1 of 2   1, 2
by winkleink » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:28 pm
Announcing Raspberry Jam at Gartner's UK headquarters on the 20th January 2013 from 2:00om - 5:00pm
Address: Gartner, The Glanty, Egham, Surret, TW20 9AW

There are some restrictions:
No Soldering
Age - 12 and over with under 16s accompanied by a parent or responsible guardian
Limited to 50 invites.

So, if you are in the area put the 20th in your calendar. A nice way to start the New Year.

I'll be sorting out the registration on Eventbrite over the next couple of days.

Any questions my email address is my username at gmail.com

Roll on January,
Albert
Twitter:Winkleink
Google+: Winkleink
by Burngate » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:34 pm
Egham/Staines: a good deal closer than Milton Keynes :D (to Sunningdale at least; I suppose someone from Aberdeen might disagree)
Hope to be there

Off topic: Google maps shows two places. I assume we meet in the building rather than in the middle of the roundabout just down the road :o
Hardware ace - level: Cowboy
by winkleink » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:52 pm
Burngate wrote:Egham/Staines: a good deal closer than Milton Keynes :D (to Sunningdale at least; I suppose someone from Aberdeen might disagree)
Hope to be there

I've been to Milton Keynes the last 2 events. Chances are we spoke. I had the Pi controlling and reading an Arduino over Ethernet.

Burngate wrote:Off topic: Google maps shows two places. I assume we meet in the building rather than in the middle of the roundabout just down the road :o

Yes, the building. We have a main casual meeting space on the ground floor and 2 big meeting rooms with projectors and audio. So, if somebody has a really impressive project they want to display let me know and let's get it on the big screen.
by winkleink » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:28 am
Eventbrite Registration now open.

http://www.eventbrite.com/event/5096987226#

If you have any questions please post here as the chances are other will have the same questions.

See you on the 20th.

Albert.
by NathanBookham » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:11 pm
Booked tickets - hopefully coming!
This account is now inactive.
I am now known as 'InverseSandwich'
by winkleink » Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:37 pm
Only 18 tickets left from the original 50.
Looks like we have an event.
If you're planning to bring along something to show it would be great if you could post here so others can decide what to focus on in the time.
From the RaspberryJams I've been too 3 hours just flies and there have always been projects I wanted to spend more time getting to know.
by daveake » Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:23 pm
I'll bring along my "Pi In The Sky" radio tracker from http://www.daveakerman.com/?p=592. Hoping to launch again around the end of January.

Dave
by winkleink » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:49 pm
daveake wrote:I'll bring along my "Pi In The Sky" radio tracker from http://www.daveakerman.com/?p=592. Hoping to launch again around the end of January.

Dave

Dave,
Thank you that would be great. I'll PM you to sort out the logistics.

Albert.
by Ste123 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:48 pm
I have booked a ticket and can bring along something I have been working on for logging temperature using a 1-wire temp sensor.

Including:
- C code to read sensor and write to mySQL
- php web page to access the data and draw a graph (if I can work out how to bring along Internet access to Google Charts API)

Incidentally I can also show working:
- Booting from a USB HDD
- Console access via GPIO
- A Simple GPIO LED circuit

I would like to tap into the group knowledge on the day about wifi dongles as I am having huge reliablity issues with them.
by winkleink » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:27 pm
Ste123 wrote:I have booked a ticket and can bring along something I have been working on for logging temperature using a 1-wire temp sensor.

Including:
- php web page to access the data and draw a graph (if I can work out how to bring along Internet access to Google Charts API)

- Booting from a USB HDD

I would like to tap into the group knowledge on the day about wifi dongles as I am having huge reliablity issues with them.

Ste123 - Thank you for offering:
At the moment Internet access is not available for this event unless you can bring a mifi or tether to a mobile phone.

A how-to on booting from a USB hard drive might be a great presentation. It would be good to see if this makes much of a difference to the performance of the Raspberry Pi.

Also, the console access via GPIO how-to may also be interesting.

It would be great if others coming commented on what they would like to see.

At the moment the thoughts are 3 15-20 minute presentations and the rest networking and show-an-tell time.
I was considering bringing stickers for people to put their names on to aid networking.
Maybe with a comment as to what they want to do with the Raspberry Pi.

Looking forward to the 20th.

Albert.

P.S. there are now only 9 tickets left on Eventbrite.
Looks like the event is quite popular.
by Ste123 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:08 pm
winkleink wrote:
Ste123 wrote:I have booked a ticket and can bring along something I have been working on for logging temperature using a 1-wire temp sensor.

Including:

- Booting from a USB HDD

Ste123 - Thank you for offering:
At the moment Internet access is not available for this event unless you can bring a mifi or tether to a mobile phone.

A how-to on booting from a USB hard drive might be a great presentation. It would be good to see if this makes much of a difference to the performance of the Raspberry Pi.

Also, the console access via GPIO how-to may also be interesting.

It would be great if others coming commented on what they would like to see.

At the moment the thoughts are 3 15-20 minute presentations and the rest networking and show-an-tell time.
I was considering bringing stickers for people to put their names on to aid networking.
Maybe with a comment as to what they want to do with the Raspberry Pi.

Looking forward to the 20th.

Albert.

P.S. there are now only 9 tickets left on Eventbrite.
Looks like the event is quite popular.

Hi,

I am happy to present / demo to audience the USB boot / performance and GPIO console I think both can be done together in 10-15 minutes. I was able to do both by using information from this forum - so I cant take credit for 'discovery' - and are relatively simple things to do.

Let me know if you want me to put something together.

Stephen
by winkleink » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:58 pm
Ste123 wrote:I am happy to present / demo to audience the USB boot / performance and GPIO console I think both can be done together in 10-15 minutes. I was able to do both by using information from this forum - so I cant take credit for 'discovery' - and are relatively simple things to do.

Let me know if you want me to put something together.

Stephen

Stephen, that would be great.

Thank you.
by winkleink » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:52 am
FULLY BOOKED:

As of yesterday all 50 tickets have been allocated.
So, we should have a full house which would be great.

If there are any cancellations then I will post here again or watch the Eventbrite page.

Also, if you were interested in attending but missed the chance then post here also so I can get an idea of the numbers and maybe look to increase the number of tickets.

As before, if you're coming and have something to show it would be great if you could post here so others attending could see what's happening.

Here's looking forward to the 20th.
Albert.
by Rspblake » Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:37 pm
If a space comes available please add me to the list.. :D

I've ordered a few Pi,s which are due delivery around the same time, I've also got an Arduino prototype kit on the way.

It's all something new to me and I would like my family to learn.

I feel it would make a good start, too a long learning curve.

Regards Rob
by matt_sendorek » Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:42 am
Hi - I'm one of the Matts with a ticket. I'm looking forward to learning from folk what sorts of things can be done, and being inspired to go home and try one. I shall also be on the lookout for ideas to plunder for my after-school Computer Club for 8/9-year-olds (so not Code Club). Roll on Sunday week!
by winkleink » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:11 am
Rspblake wrote:If a space comes available please add me to the list.. :D

I've ordered a few Pi,s which are due delivery around the same time, I've also got an Arduino prototype kit on the way.

It's all something new to me and I would like my family to learn.

I feel it would make a good start, too a long learning curve.

Regards Rob

I'll post here is tickets become available so watch the Forum - set it to notify you on updates.

I also have an Arduino. Great fun. The best description I heard was that Arduino turns a hard electronics project into a simple programming project. I got my kit from Earthshine Electronics. They have a free downloadable guide with 14 projects in it. Link on the left of the page to "The Complete Beginners Guide to the Arduino" - http://www.earthshineelectronics.com/

Trying to stick on the programming side with the Raspberry Pi for now, but the urge to attach LEDs is massive. :)
by winkleink » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:13 am
matt_sendorek wrote:Hi - I'm one of the Matts with a ticket. I'm looking forward to learning from folk what sorts of things can be done, and being inspired to go home and try one. I shall also be on the lookout for ideas to plunder for my after-school Computer Club for 8/9-year-olds (so not Code Club). Roll on Sunday week!

Brilliant - see you on the 20th.
Are you looking for electronics or coding type ideas? or are you completely open?
by matt_sendorek » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:05 am
Pretty open - coding needs less early investment but real world stuff is always more interesting so electronics has its place.
by winkleink » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:21 am
Got 1 cancellation today. Interested to see how quickly it goes.
A few people emailed looking for tickets.
by winkleink » Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:18 am
It's only a week to the Raspberry Jam and it looks like it's going to be a full house.

Rough schedule for the day
2:00 – 2:30 arrive and networking
2:30 – 2:45 Pi in the Sky + Q & A
3:00 – 3:15 Raspberry Pi HDD + Console over GPIO
3:30 - 5:00 networking and seeing what others have brought along.

If you are bringing something along to show then:
There is no internet access on site. I will setup a wifi router so devices on site can talk to each other.
Bring along all kit needed (including a screen if needed)
I would recommend bringing an extension lead as the sockets are not always in the handiest places
Email me so I know how many people want to show to make sure the space is set up right.
Post here so others can see what is happening.

I'll be there a bit earlier so if people showing want to come in a bit before 2:00 to set up then that would be OK. Just let me know by email beforehand.

Other then that here's looking forward to a great Raspberry Pi event

Any questions just let me know.

Regards,
Albert
by TuftyB » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:32 pm
Just to let you know, I have just received an email from Maplin and they have Arduino boards if anyone is interested.
by simoncavill » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:37 pm
Please let us know if there are any spare tickets for the Raspberry Jam this weekend.

Lewis Cavill (11) & Simon Cavill (a lot more)...
by Paschal » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:17 pm
Hello guys,
I will be bringing along a board I made which turns on and off mains by using 433MHz home automation wireless (so the rasp pi control mains but no actual connection to the mains). I will also bring my scope -to show how I captured the codes. (I have a pcb version of the board, and a plugin breadboard version. Looking forward to seeing lots of fun stuff there, and learning. Paschal
by winkleink » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:15 pm
A ticket has been released for this event.

Get it while it's hot.

http://eghamraspberryjam.eventbrite.com/

Albert.
by winkleink » Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:45 pm
winkleink wrote:A ticket has been released for this event.

Get it while it's hot.

http://eghamraspberryjam.eventbrite.com/

Albert.

Gone already. Looks like there are a lot of people around the Egham/Staines area interested in the Raspberry Pi