Which OS image should I load

9 posts
by calgeorge » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:44 pm
I need some help deciding on an OS to load on my new pi.
I would like a distribution that will allow me to run apache, mysql, php, free radius, and mrtg.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
by Hoall » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:12 pm
Even I don't know the last one, If you have to ask what distro you shoud use, I recommend raspbian. Else, I recommend raspbian because it's based on debian. So until you need some bleeding edge killer feature you'll be fine with it. Read the wikipedia to Debian and you'll understand it.
by Hoall » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:14 pm
Better read the wikipedia articles for all distros you're choosing from.
by chris57100 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:11 am
Moebius is minimalist and allow you to install many services easlily.
Only 28Mo in memory after the install so you have place to install other services that you want/need

On mine i installed rtorrent, nginx, owncloud, shairplay, samba, etc and it runs fine
Raspberry Pi Home Server : http://www.pihomeserver.fr
Software tutorials : Samba, Airplay, CUPS, Time machine, MPD+Rompr, Nginx, Owncloud, rTorrent, Wordpress, Joomla, Subsonic, VNC, etc.
Electronic tutorials : Mobile Data Recorder, LCD screen, Weather station, etc.
by jamesh » Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:53 am
Raspbian is the fastest and most up to date at the moment, probably the best supported as well.
by chris57100 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:17 pm
The moebius distribution is based on the Raspian one but you don't have many packages installed that could be useless if you need a light server (the "useless" means nothing until you know what you want to do ;-) )
So using it allows you to install all packages like on the raspbian distribution
Raspberry Pi Home Server : http://www.pihomeserver.fr
Software tutorials : Samba, Airplay, CUPS, Time machine, MPD+Rompr, Nginx, Owncloud, rTorrent, Wordpress, Joomla, Subsonic, VNC, etc.
Electronic tutorials : Mobile Data Recorder, LCD screen, Weather station, etc.
by Bert Broekhuizen » Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:56 pm
calgeorge wrote:I would like a distribution that will allow me to run apache, mysql, php, free radius, and mrtg.

I'm running all of the above, except instead of mrtg I'm running cacti. I'm using the 2012-10-28 Raspbian image, updated with "sudo apt-get update", "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade".
Having initially set up freeradius on an Ubuntu system, installing freeradius on the Pi and porting the configuration to it was extremely easy and it's running like a charm on the Pi.
Installing cacti, which needs apache, mysql and php, was done following this tutorial: http://n00blab.com/cacti-pi/

After all that, the next I did was installing a custom kernel and ntp that support the PPS from my GPS device. All is still well.
by lovelove » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:56 am
poster need a server ver of Raspbian like Ubuntu Server, I think also useful for many people :)
by Jim JKla » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:39 am
One advantage of the RPi is you can have multiple SD cards and swap Distro's & OS as required. It is unlikely that your going to need all of your software applications at any one time.

I would love to have Blender (not yet) available and a Browser for tutorials with the cost of the RPi as low as it is not beyond the posibility of running a Browser on a RPi connected RCA to my TV and Blender on a second running Blender (should it become available) on a second connected to the TV on HDMI.

These could be running totally different Distros.

It's worth noting most of my Blender atempts are so big my PC is having memory issues so this is unlikely :D
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick